Thursday, 25 February 2016

The Strain Series 1 — Episodes 11, 12 & 13: Third Rail, Last Rites and The Master … 

You know, I’ve got into an awfully bad habit.

No, wait, scrub that: I’ve HAD some awfully bad habits.

Most of which I’m really not going to talk about, here!

But one … bad … ?

One habit I’ve fallen into, recently, is something a lot of us are doing.

Yes … 

I’ve started to binge watch TV box sets.   As if you hadn’t noticed.

And, if you’ve been following on for a while … ?

You’ll know I’d’ve lined up not one, not two, but three — the last three — episodes of series one of … The Strain.

I’m easily impressed by good genre TV: and series 1 … 

~≈Â≈~

Episode 11 — Third Rail — sees Eph, Fet and Nora following Setrakian out to New York’s metro system to try and find the Master’s lair: after experimenting in Setrakian’s basement, and inventing a ‘light bomb’: a UV strobe light they intent to use to kill as many strigoi as possible.


Gus on the other hand … ?   Arrive back at the family home: only to find his brother turned … and his mother nesting in the wardrobe in her room.

Meanwhile … ?   Meanwhile, Eph’s son, Zach, has been left with Nora’s mother: and risking his life, to head out into an embattled city, to steal her some cigarettes.

The team corner the Master: under one abandoned station.

But fail to kill him: and are forced to let him flee, realising that confronting the horde of vampires between he and they, will be suicide.

Episode 12 — Last Rites — shows the team back at the safety of Setrakian’s pawn shop: when Dutch arrives, with news.

She’s worked out how to hack into the broadcast TV systems emergency channels, so the team can appeal for help, and issue a warning.

A chance that Eph jumps on: having being forbidden from quarantining the city by his bosses, early in the series.

At the dock … ?   Gus has coerced a rival gangster into supplying him with some weaponry: and, when a fellow gangster drops off a bag of money — advance payment for a container delivery — take the money … AND demands to see the contents of the container.

Quite a lot of nesting strigoi.   It’s only when they get attacked … that they get rescued by something.

Back at the pawn shop … ?   Things go from bad to worse: when the team are attacked … by a group of Strigoi, led by Eichorst, himself …

Episode 13 — The Master — is the final episode in this series: and shows us a rejuvenated Eldritch Palmer, scavenging through Setrakian’s shop.   Learning — from Eichorst —that’s his condition is only temporary, he resolves to improve his situation: by personally killing a senior government official intent on quarantining Manhattan Island.

Gus, held by the paratrooper strigoi who kidnapped him, learns something from their leader: that they know the Master’s agents — in the shape of Palmer and Eichorst — have ruined his life by killing his family, whilst he was held in gaol.   And … ?

And want to know if he wants a measure of revenge.

In another part of the city, the team finally attack the Master’s new base, having first worked out that it’s the Vestry Theatre: home to Gabe Bolivar, one of the plague’s early victims.

The group launch a Fight to the death: only for Eph and Setrakian to force the Master into sunlight …

Only to see him injured … but not killed …

~≈Â≈~

Now … 

Easily impressed … ?

Yes, I’m easily impressed.

But then … ?

I’ve seen one series — thus far — of The Strain: having bought it, cheaply, as it was on special offer from iTunes.

And yes: I’ve found myself glued to the thing.

As much as I have been to Penny Dreadful.

Frankly?

As soon as I can put a little extra money into my iTunes account?

I’ll be investing more time and money into The Strain.

I’ve found it worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.