Friday 11 November 2016

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 11-11-2016: Armistice Day

I have to admit … 

I was never a fan.

But, then … I don’t think I know many that were.

I do know, however, that Leonard Cohen — who’s died at the age of 82 — had a huge following.

He’ll be much missed …


~≈Ê≈~

On other fronts … ?

On other fronts, and right now, I am feeling dog tired … !

Which is understandable.   Ish.   Last night, the trains were delayed, on the way back from work.

Which meant I got as far as Shenfield.

And had to walk the rest of the way home.

A 45 minute walk.

Which I can’t complain about, too much: as I had to do the same thing, one Saturday just gone.

Still … 

I hate that walk … !

~≈Ê≈~

Just as another quick thought?

I’ve got a serious case of bedhead, at the moment.

Unfortunately?

It’s giving me an unflattering resemblance to Keith Flint …


~≈Ê≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s Armistice themed questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, Licence and video … 

Q1) 11th November marks Armistice Day.   The day marks the end of WW1: in which year?
Q2) The Armistice was signed in Compiègne, in France.   Between the Allies: and which enemy nation?
Q3) That latter country’s leader abdicated at the end of the war.   Who was he?
Q4) The Armistice was built on a speech by the US President: that outlined how many points?
Q5) The Armistice was signed in what: a French Chateau, a railway carriage or the Eiffel Tower?
Q6) Private George Edwin Ellison was the last British soldier to die during the war: on Armistice Day, itself.   The Royal Irish Lancer was on patrol in which Belgian city?
Q7) Finally … Peace was formally declared.   In which year: 1918, 1919 or 1920?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 10th November, 1995, saw the death of activist, Ken Saro Wiwa.   He was hung on the orders of the military rulers of which African nation?
A1) Nigeria.
Q2) Who was elected as leader of the Labour Party: on 10th November, 1980?
Q3) 10th November, 2007, saw King Juan Carlos 1st of Spain silence Hugo Chavez of Venezuela: by saying ‘¿Por qué no te callas?’   The phrase translates as ‘Why don’t you …’ what?
A3) Shut up.   (Apparently?   President Chavez was repeatedly interrupting a speech by the the Spanish PM: at an international conference.   King Juan Carlos got REALLY hacked off … )
Q4) Diamond merchant, Harry Winston, donated the Hope Diamond to the Smithsonian Institute: on 10th November, 1958.   Its blue colour is due to traces of which element?
A4) Boron.
Q5) Finally … 10th November, 1483, saw the birth of which reforming monk?
I’ll leave you with this … 

“This armistice has been signed the Eleventh of November, Nineteen Eighteen, at 5 o'clock French time.”
Last Line of the Armistice of 1918, courtesy of Wikisource.

And this … 


Enjoy the day … 




*        Ennio’s still with us, Olga … But I awoke to the news of Leonard Cohen’s death.   It’s one of those years, isn’t it … ?

†        You know, I’ve never actually seen a spaghetti western, Debbi?   I’ll have to do something about that!   (Although Graeme Garden frequents mentions Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia, in I’m Sorry I Haven’t A Clue.)

1 comment:

Debbi said...

You've got to see the big three: A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, and The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly! Great stuff!

1. 1918
2. Germany
3. Kaiser Wilhelm II
4. 14
5. a railway carriage
6. Mons
7. 1920