Wednesday 23 November 2016

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 23-11-2016


23rd November, 2016.

Oh, you are joking, aren’t you … ?

As you may or may not know, I like using Safari: the on-board web-browser on my Mac.

I’m one that’s running an older version of the operating system: so can’t update beyond Safari 6.1.6

Which usually hasn’t been a problem.

Until today, when Google have decided to roll-out Blogger’s all new simplified page design.

That wouldn’t — in Safari, at any rate — load the page that let’s me write a new post.

OK, I can switch to Google Chrome, for the duration.   Which renders pages very well, but is a browser I’ve also found takes its time loading pages.

And, yes, I’m aware technology moves on.

But it’s a disappointment to see it happen.

~≈Ê≈~

In other news?

I don’t know if I ever told, but I’m a fan of Frank Herbert’s novel, Dune: having first read it in the 1980s.

Early on?   Early one character describes the hero of the novel, 17 year old Paul Atreides, as ‘small for his age.’

As a short 17 year old, when I first read the thing, a hero that sounds a lot like me, who ends up ruling the entire known human universe had a lot of appeal.

So recent news that the movie rights for the franchise have been acquired by Legendary?

Is interesting to see.

Personally?   Personally, I’m grateful one version didn’t get made.

I’m glad to have seen another.

And I’m curious to see what Legendary can do with the piece.

I’m really curious to see what they do with it.

I hope they have keep as close to the book as possible.

~≈Ê≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi* putting her answers in: scoring ten out of ten in the process.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) The Convention on Cybercrime was signed in Budapest: on 23rd November, 2001.   Which UK bank reported losing £2.5 million to cybercriminals, in November of 2016?
Q2) TV series, Doctor Who, started on 23rd November, 1963.  This year saw the BBC announce that the Doctor’s new companion, Bill, would be played by whom?
Q3) In the Russian Orthodox Church, 23rd November is the Feast Day of Alexander Nevsky.   Alexander was Prince of where: Moscow, Vladivostok or Novgorod?
Q4) 23rd November, 1984, saw commuters trapped at a London Underground station: after it was hit by a fire.   Which station?
Q5) Finally … 23rd November is the earliest date that Black Friday can fall.   Black Friday is the first major shopping day after which US holiday?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 22nd November, 1963, saw the death of writer, C. S. Lewis.   What did the C stand for?
A1) Clive.
Q2) More to the point, what did the S stand for?
A2) Staples.
Q3) Which year was he born in?
A3) 1898.
Q4) Lewis famously taught at Magdalene College, in Oxford.   And at which Cambridge College?
A4) Magdalene College.
Q5) Whilst at Oxford, Lewis belonged to a literary group called the Inklings: along side the author of The Hobbit.   Who was that latter author?
A5) J. R. R. Tolkien.
Q6) Lewis belonged to which denomination of Christianity: Catholicism, Protestantism or Eastern Orthodoxy?
A6) Protestantism.   (He’d been baptized into the Church of Ireland: but later joined the Church of England.)
Q7) Which Lewis novel takes the form of a series of letters from a senior demon, to his nephew?
A7) The Screwtape Letters.
Q8) His children’s novels, about a mythical land at the back of a wardrobe, were the chronicles of where?
A8) The Chronicles of Narnia</>.
Q9) Name any one of those seven chronicles.
A9) The Magician’s Nephew, The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, The Horse and his Boy, Prince Caspian, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, The Silver Chair and The Last Battle.
Q10) Finally … Who played Lewis, in the biopic, Shadowlands?
A10) Anthony Hopkins.
I’ll leave you with this thought …
“The only thing I learned at boarding school was never to send my child to one.”
Vincent Cassel, born 23rd November, 1966.
And this tune … 


Have a good day … 




*        I know, I do, too, Debbi!   (Know any banks that need robbing, Debbi?   THINK I’m going need to update my hardware, if Safari can’t access the blog … )

1 comment:

Debbi said...

Wish I did. Maybe it's time for another Great Train Robbery! :)

Kidding, kidding! :) God knows who's reading this!

1. the Co-operative Group
2. Pearl Mackie
3. Novgorod
4. Oxford Circus
5. Thanksgiving