Monday 19 June 2017

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 19-6-2017

What on Earth is going on in the UK?

I’ve woken up to news that, just after midnight, last night?

A van has been driven into a crowd of worshippers at Finsbury Park Mosque, injuring 10 and potentially killing one.

I know who I’m blaming.

The idiots that carried out the Westminster and London Bridge Attacks.

Apparently?   The driver of the van involved, was a white man reported to be saying he wanted to ‘kill all muslims.’

To me?

That sounds like an extreme right-wing … 

I’m tempted to say ‘nutter,’ there.

Instead I’ll call him an an extreme right-wing terrorist.

Personally?

I’m hoping we don’t get open war on the streets.

But I’m not surprised there’s been a backlash.

Britain’s got several fine old traditions.

But also got a nasty streak of racism that’s contributed to this.

~≈fl≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga and Debbi putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 19th June, 2012, saw Julian Assange seek asylum: in which country’s embassy?
Q2) 19th June, 1991, saw Soviet troops leave which country?
Q3) The first man to get a Test Cricket century, and take 8 wickets in one innings, did so on 19th June, 1978.   Who was he?
Q4) Actress Pier Angeli was born: on 19th June, 1932.   What was the name of her 1951, debut movie?
Q5) Finally … Salman Rushdie was born: on 19th June, 1947.   Which of his novels earned him a fatwa, from Ayatollah Khomeini?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) The UK’s government introduce a blood alcohol limit for drivers: on 18th June of which year?
A1) 1965.
Q2) 18th June saw the defeat of Napoleon: at the Battle of Waterloo.   In which year?
A2) 1815.
Q3) What did Columbia introduce, on 18th June, 1948: the LP, the CD or EP?
A3) The LP.
Q4) Who’s body was found under Blackfriars Bridge: on 18th June, 1982?
A4) Banker, Roberto Calvi’s.
Q5) Finally … What did Captain Samuel Wallis become the first European to sight: on 18th June, 1767?   Tahiti, Tasmania or Iapetus?
A5) Tahiti.
I’ll leave you with a song by Paula Abdul … 


ANOTHER Abdul number … 


And a video Paula choreographed … 


I’ll offer you a thought …
“It matters, it always matters, to name rubbish as rubbish … to do otherwise is to legitimize it.”
Salman Rushdie, born 19th June, 1947.
Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day!




*        Of course we have, Olga^!  :D   I’m thinking I should have a read of one of yours: it’s only fair, as I’ve done one of Debbi’s.   If that doesn’t sound ambiguous … !   (Oh, I managed to catch this week’s Dr Who, last night.   Turns out the legion‡ it focuses on was one originally raised in Roman Spain.)

†        I’ll look forward to them, Debbi!   (Oh, seen The Eaters of Light, yet, Debbi?   Turns out the legion‡ concerned was once led by Julius Caesar: he got them off Pompey the Great.   Oh, and one chap on FB’s mention Lovecraft, already.   Which hadn’t occurred to me: they’re REALLY going for the Hinchcliffe and Holmes ‘Let’s Raid the Literature’ stuff!)

‡        It ALSO turns out they got a thumping from Boudica … !

^      That’s the other thing I meant to tell you, Olga.   One of the other calls I handled for the GLA?   Was from the Met Police.   They wanted to alert the GLA’s security people about an email they’d received: threatening to bomb the Mayor, Sadiq Khan.

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Ecuador
Q2) Hungary
Q3) Ian Botham
Q4) Actress Pier Angeli was born: on 19th June, 1932. What was the name of her 1951, debut movie? According to Wikipedia it was in 1950. Angeli made her film debut with Vittorio De Sica in Domani è troppo tardi (1950) Teresa in 1951 was the first she made in America.
Q5) The Satanic Verses
My goodness. I hadn't heard about the most recent incident in London until I read your post. Will it ever stop?

Debbi said...

The world seems to be going nuts, huh? Ugh.

1. Ecuador
2. Hungary
3. Ian Botham
4. Teresa
5. The Satanic Verses