Saturday 24 June 2017

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 24-6-2017

OK, what the actual feck?

I’m up, and about.

Having made sure I got an early night: just to avoid yawning, first thing in the morning.

And guess what … ?

a)   I still feel like yawning my head off is a good move.

b)   I have a recent Republica tune ear worming its way through my head.


Oy veh … !

~≈Ê≈~

Just as an extra thought, before we move on … ?

If you’ve been following the news, you’d realise that some seven-hundred flats in Camden have bee evacuated, over-night.

In what looks like a rather messy attempt: with many residents only finding out about it, via the BBC news.

I know we’re all worried: post Grenfell.

But I’m thinking a local council should be better organised.

~≈Ê≈~

Oh, one more, thing?

I won’t get to see tonight’s Dr Who‡, until tomorrow at the earliest: no spoilers, now!



~≈Ê≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi* putting in her answers: scoring five out of five in the process.   The day also saw Olga† looking in to say hello.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 24th June, 1812, saw Napoleon’s army begin invading where: Poland, Russia or Latvia?
Q2) Mary Pickford became the first woman to sign a million dollar film contract: on 24th June, 1916.   She signed it with which film producer?
Q3) The Prime Minister of Siam renamed his country: on 24th June, 1939.      What did he change the name to?
Q4) Lonesome George died: on 24th June, 2012.   George was the last known example of his species of what?
Q5) Finally … Silvio Berlusconi was found guilty of fraud, and having sex with an underage prostitute, on 24th June, 2013.   Which Italian political office did he hold?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 23rd June, 2016, saw the UK vote to leave what?
A1) The European Union.
Q2) 23rd June, 2014, saw the last chemical weapon apparently shipped out of which country: Iran, Syria or Jordan?
A2) Syria.
Q3) The Antarctic Treaty went into force: on 23rd June, 1961.   The Treaty banned what, on the continent: military activity, scientific research or film crews?
A3) Military activity.
Q4) Which Scottish battle took place: on 23rd June, 1314?
A4) The Battle of Bannockburn.
Q5) Finally … 23rd June, 1969, saw IBM spin off what, from its hardware business?
A5) It’s software business.
As today is Mick Fleetwood’s birthday?   I give you the best Fleetwood Mac drum solo going …


And a thought … 

“Batsmen wear so much protection these days that I mostly identify them from their posteriors.”
Brian Johnston, 24 June 1912 – 5 January 1994.

Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.



*        I notice Neil Gaiman’s got something started on there, Debbi.   I’m wondering what Hemingway would make of it.   (I’m sure I’ve seen a version where it’s a wedding dress, rather than baby shoes.)

†        Well, things are improving, Olga: I’m just hoping there’s a loo on route to work … !   I should be fine, though.   (Which Saint John, out of curiosity?   I’ll … Oh, hang on … John the Baptist?   Thanking you, Wikipedia!)

‡        Beyond the Cybus version of the Cybermen seen in Rise of the Cybermen/Age of Steel?   We’ve never seen an origin story for the Mondas cybermen.   This could be something.

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Russia
Q2) Adolph Zukor
Q3) Thailand
Q4) Lonesome George died: on 24th June, 2012. George was the last known example of his species of what? Galápagos tortoises (Chelonoidis nigra abingdonii)
Q5) Prime Minister
I'm pleased to hear you are better. I hadn't heard about the evacuation and now I need to check the Gaiman's thing (I imagine it is a very short story from your reference to Hemingway and baby's shoes.
Take care...;)

Debbi said...

Your IBS is better I hope? Rick's dealing with diverticulosis, which can flare up into diverticulitis if one isn't careful.

1. Russia
2. Adolph Zukor of Famous Players Films Company/Paramount
3. Thailand
4. a Pinta Island tortoise
5. Prime Minister