Thursday 8 June 2017

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 8-6-2017: Elected

Right … 

It’s official … 

It’s Polling Day … !

Which means, of course, that today is the day to do one of two things.

Either not vote: sign of protest, it’s raining, or you just can’t be bothered.

Or vote: for a candidate, or to deliberately spoil your vote.

Personally?   I’m pencilling voting Green: as it looks like they’re standing.

And will not be voting for the Liberal Democrat candidate: the party’s position on legalising cannabis is not something I’m keen on.

But, f you don’t like the look of any of your candidates?

The last couple few elections — local or General — I’ve not been happy with the individual candidates.   And spoilt my votes by putting ‘X’s in all the boxes.

I’d urge everyone to do the same.

~≈Ÿ≈~

Just as another quick thought?

I had the day off, yesterday.

And, of course, watched a movie.

Martyrs, if you’re curious.

It’s a good film, I think.

But, in its depiction of violence towards women?

Not the most comfortable of viewing …

~≈Ÿ≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Mr Strict*, Olga† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with all three scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video

Q1) 8th June, 2017, sees the UK have a General Election: one called by the Prime Minister.   Which PM?
Q2) To be eligible to vote in the General Election, one must be 18, British, Irish, or a citizen of where?
Q3) The leader of the Scottish Nationalists isn’t standing in the election.   Because she is already a member of what?
Q4) Which Northern Irish party famously refuses to take its Westminster seat?
Q5) Finally … What’s expected to be a big issue in the election: Brexit, Lego or lowering taxes?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 7th June, 1929, saw Italy’s parliament ratify the Lateran Treaty.   The treaty formally created what: the Italian presidency, Vatican City or the Bank of Italy?
Q2) 7th June, 2015, saw the death of actor, Christopher Lee.   Which Chinese villain did he play, in a series of 1960s films?
A2) Fu Manchu.
Q3) 7th June, 1899, saw Temperance campaigner, Carrie Nation, begin her crusade.   By destroying bars with what: dynamite, a hatchet or leaflets?
A3) A hatchet.
Q4) Mount Pinatubo erupted: on 7th June, 1991.   The volcano is where: the Philippines, New Zealand or Japan?
A4) The Philippines.
Q5) Finally … 7th June, 1965, saw the US Supreme Court hand down it decision: on Griswold v. Connecticut.   The decision effectively legalized what: marijuana use, contraception or tax fraud?
I’ll leave you with a tune … 


Another tune … 


A little bit of Blackadder … 


And a quote …
“The rest of you have gone over to the side of our keepers. Which is which? How many of each? Who’s standing beside you now? I intend to discover who are the prisoners and who are the warders. I shall be running for office in this election.”
№.6, Free for All.
Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a nice day.




*        Morning, Mr S, nice to see you in … !   I’ve put a link into your site, there, so you know.   (Did I mention the Long Sloe Comfortable Screw Up against a Wall? Or screwdrivers?   Olga and Debbi both got that question … )

†        That’s very tactful, Olga! :D   I do remember the occasional Spanish family holiday, when I was younger.   The fact there’s armed Spanish police?   Always seemed mildly shocking.   Tasers, or otherwise, armed police still seems … well … 

‡        I might just have to keep an eye out for the Griswold ruling, Debbi: I don’t know if it’s my usual bedtime reading!   Privacy, you say?   I wonder what he’d maker of Tor browser.   (Sounds like the biggest sleeper’s in the White House …)

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Theresa May
Q2) Citizens of the Republic of Ireland resident in the UK or citizens of qualifying Commonwealth states residents in the UK
Q3) The Scottish Parliament
Q4) Sinn Féin
Q5) Brexit
I guess that is something you get used to (I remember going to check if I had got into Medical School. The same hospital where we studied was the official prison hospital, as at the time it wasn't very far from the Barcelona main prison (a very old and not very secure building) and I remember seeing what must have been a prisoner, wearing the typical openback hospital gown and several policemen running after him and they shot a warning shot up in the air. We did see plenty of prisoners when I was a student there. For some reason they always wanted to eat (I'm sure prison food is bad but hospital food doesn't usually have a very good reputation, at least at the time) but they always either stabbed themselves in the stomach or swallowed something and that meant... yes, they were nil-by-mouth. No surprise they were caught and locked up, to be honest...

Debbi said...

Ah ... politics. I lost my faith politicians with the re-election of Nixon in '72. Yes, I'm an old person! :)

1. Theresa May
2. a Commonwealth country (like Canada or Australia)
3. Nicola Sturgeon
4. Sinn Féin
5. Brexit (what else? Lego? LOL!)