Thursday 21 March 2019

The Golem: How He Came into the World/Der Golem, wie er in die Welt kam: A Review

20th March, 2019.


OK … OK … 

For those of you who watched the intro video … ?



I’m still — still — craving chocolate.

But?

Right here and now, I can say three things.

One … ?

I’ve got coco!

Drinking chocolate, in other words!

Two … ?



I THINK I’ve got that Max Headroom effect as well as I can.

At least, with a copy of iMovie … !

Three … ?

I’ve actually managed to pick out a movie … 

You’ve possibly worked out WHICH movie, have’t you … 

You’re right.

The famously lost, found and refunded, Der Golem, wie er in die Welt kam: The Golem: How He Came into the World.

It’s … interesting … 

~≈§≈~

Loosely based on the legend of the Golem of Prague, The Golem: How He Came Into The World/Der Golem, wie er in die Welt kam is set in the midst of the Jewish Ghetto.

And opens with Rabbi Löw (Albert Steinrück) watching the stars … 

And seeing only an upcoming calamity for his people.

News he feels he must give to colleague, Rabbi Jehuda (Hans Stürm) as soon as he is able.

Meanwhile, the Emperor?   The Emperor has decided to rid Prague of an unwanted minority: ordering The Jews of the Ghetto out of town by the time of the New Moon.

It’s only then we see that Löw has a plan for the defence of his people … 

He uses black magic to animate a Golem (Paul Wegener) that he’s been building for the past few months …

It’s time for (possibly) extreme measures … 

~≈§≈~

Now … interesting … ?

Possibly the right word … 

Just as a bit of explanation?

I first heard of this film, many years ago: and, having a little spending money at Christmas?

Bought a copy of the DVD — one based on restoration work done in 2000 — from Amazon.

Which didn’t turn up when it was supposed to.

I cancelled the order, and got a refund: the latter of which went through perfectly well.

Something went wrong, SOMEWHERE: as the DVD turned up a week later.

I sent the thing back: after having turned the thing into a digital file I could play on my AppleTV.

The results?



Are what I watched tonight.

Complete with tints to tell you what time of day it was: which took a little getting used to.

Complete with iffy contrast.   Sometimes, I found the actors faces hard to see: as a mix of the lighting they must have used during filming, and the quality of the prints the restorers had to work with.

Complete with incredible sets.   I don’t know if there’s such as thing as Gothic Seashell, but the internal sets, especially in the Ghetto, had me thinking of the halved seashells you see in museums.

Oh … 

it’s also complete with acting … 

Good or bad, I couldn’t tell you: I’ve not seen that many silent films.

So couldn’t necessarily compare.

There’s something else …



The scene where Löw summons a demon: in order to create his golem … 



That … ?

Have you seen Metropolis?

Famously, there’s a scene where a scientist creates a humanoid robot: in order to fool people.

It’s got a lot of flashing and banging, and riveting visuals.

There’s a similar scene in Der Golem: where Löw summons the demon that will bring the Golem to life that I found just as riveting.





It surprising that it isn’t better known.

~≈§≈~

There’s one last final point, as well.

I wasn’t stunned by Nosferatu, when I saw it: giving it only two stars out of a potential four.

However?   I felt it worth seeing: as it is a cinematic first: it’s the first Dracula film ever made.   For those of us interested in cinema’s history, that made it worth a viewing.

I think Der Golem, wie er in die Welt kam is the better movie, and is original.

Many of use, over the years will have seen Frankenstein: THE movie that tells us new technology is inherently evil … 

By showing us man making a technology that’s initially benevolent … but inevitable runs amuck and turns on us.

FrankensteinTranscendence … hell, even Genesis of The Daleks is arguable a version … 

Technology is BAD, say these pieces, and can turn on you.

Frankly?   I think that whole trope, that whole leitmotif … ?



Started with Der Golem, wie er in die Welt kam.

Personally?



I think that means spending time with The Golem: How He Came into the World will repay you …
The Golem: How He Came into the World/Der Golem, wie er in die Welt kam.
★★★☆

No comments: