Sunday 17 January 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 17-1-2021: The Greatest.

17th January, 2021.


News … 

News is a funny old thing, sometimes.

Others?   Slightly less hysterical … 

As you may or may not know, people in the UK on Universal Credit in the UK — me, included — have received a twenty pound a week extra payment: introduced last April, as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak.

It’s due to end in April, 2021.

Frankly?   I’m not looking forward to that: it’ll make life a lot harder.

But both the Guardian, and Radio 4’s news service, tell us that there will be a non-binding vote in Parliament, tomorrow: about ending the extra money.

One that’s little more than a protest vote.

Even given that?   I hope it goes against the Government: I’d like to see the Government take note of it.

I’m fairly sure Boris Johnson probably won’t.

At a committee meeting last Wednesday?   He said: “And I think most people in this country want to see a focus on jobs and growth in wages than on welfare, but clearly we have to keep all of these things under review.”

Keeping it reviewed is a good idea, obviously: I completely understand that the Government wants to spend as little as possible.

But?

I’ve heard a lot of Conservative ministers say similar things.

Without acknowledging one simple fact.

The amount I, and others, get as a benefit has little to do with whether an employer offers me a job.

~≈£≈~

There’s something else, as well … 

There’s been talk — talk, mind — that the Government’s having … disagreements … about that uplift.

About whether it should be kept … or replaced.

It seems that — according to a couple of reports I’ve read — Chancellor Rishi Sunak wants to introduce a five hundred pound bonus as a substitute for the uplift.

As a prepaid debit card, in combination with a mobile phone app, if the Guardian is to be believed.

Hmmm … 

There’s a technology issue, there.

How are those of us with no smart phones supposed to access that app?

There’s other issues, I think.

Or questions, at least.

Can I use it to pay for a mobile phone top up?   On my gas or electricity bills?   My rent?   My council tax?

Going by the Guardian article, no.   I could only use it for ‘face to face’ retail transactions … or in hospitality venues.

It’s of limited use, in other words.

I’m not saying a one-off £500 voucher wouldn’t be useful.

I think a £500 one-off cash payment would be preferable: as I could put it towards far more payments.

Either of them?

Are far less use than a permanent twenty pound a week increase in my Universal Credit payment.

~≈£≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Trevor*, Olga†, Mum‡, Edith^ and Debbiª putting in their answers: with Trevor, Olga, and Debbi scoring five out of five, and Mum and Edith on four.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        17th January, 1942, saw the birth of Muhammad Ali.   Under which name?

Q2)        He changed his name to Muhammad Ali in which year: 1963, 1964 or 1965?

Q3)        He was born in which Kentucky city?

Q4)        He won his first Olympic medal in which year of the 1960s?

Q5)        At which weight: middleweight, light heavyweight or heavyweight?

Q6)        He made his professional debut in October of which year of the 1960s?

Q7)        25th February, 1964, saw Ali first fight whom for the first time: Rocky Marciano, Floyd Patterson or Sonny Liston?

Q8)        1974 saw Ali fight George Forman: in Kinshasa, in what’s what’s now the Democratic Republic of the Congo.   The fight was billed as the Rumble in the what?

Q9)        His technique in that match was known as Rope-a-what technique?

Q10)        Finally? Ali’s footwork is known as the Ali … what?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        16th January, 27BC saw Gaius Julius Caesar Octavianus granted the title of Augustus, by the Roman Senate. The event is seen as the start of the Roman … what?
A1)        Empire.

Q2)        El ingenioso hidalgo Don Quijote de la Mancha was first published on 16th January, 1605. Who wrote El ingenioso hidalgo Don Quijote de la Mancha?
A2)        Miguel de Cervantes.

Q3)        The US state of Virginia enacted the Statute for Religious Freedom, on 16th January, 1786. Which US President authored the Act: Washington, Jefferson or Lincoln?
A3)        Thomas Jefferson.

Q4)        Adriana Hernández was born on 16th January, 2003. She’s a what: rhythmic gymnast, 100m sprinter or marathon runner?
A4)        Rhythmic gymnast.

Q5)        Finally … ? 16th January is the feast day of Saint Titian of Oderzo. Oderzo is in which European country?
A5)        Italy.
Here’s a thought … 
“I’m the greatest thing that ever lived.   I’m so great I don’t have a mark on my face.   I shook up the world.”
Muhammad Ali, January 17, 1942 – June 3, 2016.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.





*        I’ll have to keep an eye open, then, Trevor: I’m thinking a chicken stir fry would be an idea.   (Or, I’ve used some of the spring onions in a spaghettis sauce.   It was … fragrant … whilst I was cooking it!)

†        I know what you mean about rushing, Olga: I’ve done it myself!

‡        Hello, Mum!

^        Really?   You surprise me, Edith: the British original’s been since 1942!   That’s a record!

ª        Storm’s on my left, Debbi: with the dark hair: Debbie, who introduced us, is on my right.   I just can’t remember who it is, next to Debbie!   And, yes: Storm will be much missed!   (Inauguration Day’s Wednesday, isn’t it?   There’s … well, the BBC News site’s telling us there’s troops on the street …)

5 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Cassius Clay
Q2) 1964
Q3) Louisville
Q4) 1960
Q5) light heavyweight
Q6) 1960
Q7) Sonny Liston
Q8) Jungle
Q9) Rope-a-dope. A great name!
Q10) Shuffle
I know what you mean and I very much worry that you're right about universal credit. I've read quite a few articles and studies about universal basic income, and I'm sure I even have a book I haven't read yet about. I think it would be a good thing, but it would mean rethinking the whole economic system, not something many are likely to want to do (and it would need to be global to make a major difference).

Freda said...

1 Cassius Marcellus Clay
2 1964
3 Louisville
4 1960
5 Heavyweight
6 1963
7 Sonny Liston
8 In The Jungle
9 a Lot
10 Jungle

Freda said...

We watched a film last night " One Night In Miami ". a fictional version of a real meeting
between Malcolm X, Jim Bean, Cassius Clay, Sam Cooke. I think it may be up for an Oscar for Direction and Film. Worth watching.

Debbi said...

I'm hoping they won't be needed. It would be nice not to have a civil war. Again. :-/

1. Cassius Clay
2. 1964
3. Louisville
4. 1960
5. light heavyweight
6. 1960
7. Sonny Liston
8. Jungle
9. Dope
10. Shuffle

Edith said...

Dear Paul,

I am sorry I didn't do the quiz today. Events concerning life's essentials came up. I appreciate you including me on your lists. I say hello to all. Everything should be okay, but I had to act soon. So I did.