Tuesday 5 January 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 5-1-2021: Twelfth Night.

5th January, 2021.


Right … we’re under lockdown … again.

I’m jobhunting, in case you didn’t know.

And frankly?

This cuts the number of places I can apply to … as they’re shut.

Or out of reach of the few public transport services.

What have you.

It’s my nephew, Jude, I feel angry about.

Schools are now shut.

Again.

That’s going to have an impact on his education: and I really don’t like that.

Especially as I don’t know if his school’s handing out laptops so he — and his class mates — can do remote learning.

Between the virus, and the witheringly idiotic government?

I’m annoyed!

~≈Ë≈~

What hasn’t helped?

You’ve heard of technical support scams, yes?

Someone phones you up, claiming to be from the Windows Support Team, the Microsoft Refund department, what have you, and offering to fix your computer, remotely.

I’ve just had a call from an Indian call centre, trying the same thing.

Happy New bloody Year!

~≈Ë≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Trevor†, Mum‡, Debbi^ and Edith putting in their answers: with Olga, Trevor and Debbi scoring five out of five, Mum on four and Edith on two.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        5th January is Twelfth Night.   It’s the last night of the Twelve Days of what?

Q2)        Twelfth Night is also the eve of which Christian E?

Q3)        We’re supposed to wassail on Twelfth Night.   Wassail is a type of mulled what: wine, cider or rum?

Q4)        Who wrote the play, Twelfth Night, or What you Will?

Q5)        Finally … ?   If you were taking part in the Cavalcade of Magi, on Twelfth Night, you’d be in which country?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        4th January, 2004, saw the Spirit rover arrive.   Where?   Mars, Jupiter or Venus?
A1)        Mars.

Q2)        The US Congress elected its first female Speaker: on 4th January, 2007.   Who was that speaker?
A2)        Nancy Pelosi.

Q3)        4th January, 1643, saw the birth of Isaac Newton: according the today’s modern calendar.   He held Cambridge University’s Lucasian Chair of what?
A3)        Mathematics.

Q4)        Burma — now Myanmar — became independent on 4th January, 1948.   From where?
A4)        The UK.

Q5)        Finally … ?   4th January, 1965, saw the birth of ballroom dancer, Craig Revel Horwood.   He’s a judge on which British TV show?   (We want the British title: not the US equivalent.)
A5)        Strictly Come Dancing.
Here’s a thought … 
“A superstition in some English-speaking countries suggests it unlucky to leave Christmas decorations hanging after Twelfth Night, a tradition also variously attached to the festivals of Candlemas (2 February), Good Friday, Shrove Tuesday, and Septuagesima.”
From the Wikipedia entry on Twelfth Night.
And a traditional tune …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.





*        OK: we’ll leave it there, Olga.   I’ll update everyone about Dr Who, when we get the official word!   Have fun, today.

†        Oh … there’s an H. G. Wells coin, Trevorº?   I might have to keep an eye peeled!   I’m tempted to ask if you’ve seen the Invisible Man, but will forbear!   On a serious note?   I saw the 1933, Claude Rains, version, a couple of years ago: it’s something to see.   So to speak.

‡        Hello, Mumº!

^        It’s not official, yet, Debbiº: until the BBC makes the official announcement.   They were a bit too much news going on, yesterday.   You’re right, though: I’d prefer to see her around for a bit longer!

ª        Always glad to ask, Edithº!   And it’s nice to know someone’s got a sunny future!   (Oh, did you catch the news about Jodie?   I’m still waiting to see an official announcement!)

º        Oh, I’ve had word in from Olga: she may not be joining us, today, as she’s got a big do on, for the radio station she works with.   Apparently, she’ll be pretending to be a coal miner!

4 comments:

trev-v said...

A1 Christmas
A2 Epiphany
A3 Cider
A4 William Shakespeare
A5 Spain but also in many other countries too.

If you want the H.G. Wells £2.00 coin it is available from online Coin shops from £12.00 to £15.00. Not sure when I will find one as I rarely use cash these days. I tend to use a contactless debit card when buying items in local shops in these COVID-19 days. I just hand over a voucher for my daily paper. I get sent 3 months worth of vouchers surprisingly every 3 months. I have been pre-buying my paper this way for over 15 years because it saves me money and now also allows me free entry to the Online pages of the paper.

Freda said...

1 Christmas
2 Epiphany
3 Cider
4 Shakesphere
5 Spain
5

Debbi said...

It would be nice. :)

1. Christmas
2. Epiphany
3. cider
4. William Shakespeare
5. Spain

Edith said...

1 Christmas
2. Epiphany
3. cider
4. Shakespear
5. Spain

Paul, you apply for any help for which you are eligible. I hope Jodie stays.