Tuesday 19 January 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 19-1-2021: Dolly

19th January, 2021.


Right … things occur … on a regular basis.

Frankly?

I had an COVID-19 swab test, done a couple of weeks ago: courtesy of the Office for National Statistics.

They’re doing it to monitor the condition’s spread: and say ‘thank you’ by giving you a twenty-five pound Amazon voucher.

The last one I got … ?

Let me buy a big tub of Marmite.

And, my word, I’m enjoying that on toast!

~≈🥖≈~

You’ve possibly realised I’m jobhunting: and have been for a couple of years, now.

Lord knows what I’m doing wrong, but I’ve found nothing: yet.

Since last April, though?   Since April, 2020, I, like all of us on Universal Credit, have received an extra twenty pounds as week: to help cope with the COVID-19 crisis.

It’s due to end on the 31st March: despite the fact those of us getting it really need the uplift to be extended.

Or made permanent.

So, yesterday?   On what’s called an Opposition Day, the House of Commons had a non-binding vote on the uplift.

As a result of the Government whips insisting that Tory MPs abstain?

The Government lost the vote.

By 278 votes.

OK, it’s non-binding.

But with six Conservative MPs voting against it, despite instructions to abstain?

That’s — hopefully — dropping a hint.

~≈🪙≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser sawOlga*, Trevor†, Mum‡, Debbi^ and Edithª putting in their answers: with Olga, Trevor and Debbi scoring five out of five, Mum on four and Edith on three.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        19th January is the birthday of Dolly Parton: she was born in which year?

Q2)        She’s famous for singing, writing and performing in which genre: rock, country or acid house?

Q3)        She’s had twenty-five songs reach number one on the relevant Billboard chart.   In other words? The same number as who: k. d. lang, Reba McEntire or Patsy Cline?

Q4)        Parton’s I Will Always Love You was covered by Whitney Houston.   The Houston version was used in which 1992 film?

Q5)        Finally … ?   Dolly played the Glastonbury Festival, in which year?   (Famously?   She did a version of this.)
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        18th January, 1871, saw Wilhelm 1st named as Kaiser. In other words: he became emperor of where?
A1)        Germany.

Q2)        18th January, 1978, saw the European Court of Human Rights find the UK government of mistreating prisoners from where: Cyprus, Northern Ireland or Greece?
A2)        Northern Island.

Q3)        The Euphronios Krater was unveiled in Rome: on 18th January, 2008. The krater is an antique bowl for what: stew, wine or ketchup?
A3)        Wine.

Q4)        18th January, 1945, saw the birth of Sir Rocco Forte. Sir Rocco is chairman of a UK company that runs a chain of what: hotels, pubs or restaurants?
A4)        Hotels.

Q5)        Finally … ? 18th December is the feast day of Saint Margaret of Hungary. She’s usually depicted, holding what: a rose, a lily or an orchid?
A5)        A lily.
Here’s a thought …
“It takes a lot of money to look this cheap.”
Dolly Parton.
And a playlist …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        So people haven’t got it, yet, Olga?   I am not surprised.   That sort of confirms a suspicious of mine, about these things.   It’s not what you call it, it’s how long it takes to pay it¹!   And, yeah: Universal Credit’s supposed to be less stressful, as well.   What can I tell you?   I do know Finland’s supposed to be doing a version: but — if I remember correctly — the trial phase is over.   We’ll have to flag this up for Nina, she’ll have a better idea.   (I know the Basic Income is supposed to be a universally available thing … but … well … )

†        You might want to lay off the Douwe Egberts, then, Trevor!   And you missed an interesting set.   Ali’s a bit like Babe Ruth and Pelé: worth ten questions.   (Remind me to do another Pelé set, sometime, Trevor!)

‡        Hello, Mum!   (Restaurants, Mum?   Rocco Forte?)

^        Oh, very true, Debbi!   Storm, Neil, and Terry Pratchett, were contemporaries: Storm was far more gothic, and also ran her own publishing company, Immanion Press.   Quite what’ll happen, there, I don’t know!

ª        That’s very good to hear, Edith.   And possibly a cue for a song.


¹        My initial UC payment took six weeks to come through, Olga: I had to get an emergency advance from the Benefits office, in order to pay bills, and shop.   I’m not cynical, either … but … well, are you doing Cynicism courses?

6 comments:

trev-v said...

A1 1946
A2 country
A3 Reba McEntire
A4 The Bodyguard
A5 2014

I do not have any Dolly Parton music in the house. I do have CD’s of music by k. d. lang and Patsy Cline.
I was introduced to the 2 of them by Penny’s late sister Patsy on many a trip of mine to Vancouver.
Of the 2 I prefer Patsy Cline.

The majority of my large CD collection is Classical music but I do have CDs of musicians who were alive in the 20th Century.

Olga said...

Q1) 1946
Q2) Country
Q3) Reba McEntire
Q4) The Bodyguard (My goodness. I’ll never forget Houston’s version. When she died, one of the gym instructors at the gym I was going wouldn’t stop doing Zumba choreographies using that song. That one and Santa Baby over Christmas (but at least that one was quite funny). Don’t get me wrong, I like the song, but…
Q5) 2014
I really like Dolly Parton (I like country, in general, and I like her attitude to life as well, and her charity work (her literacy programme, but everything, even donations for research of the COVID-19).
I’ve found this about the Finnish study. I guess it’s difficult to tell what the results say, because, as the comments make clear, it wasn’t really universal and they were only interested in some possible results. Not very encouraging for governments only interested in numbers, though. And yes, a course on Cynicism sounds like quite an idea!
https://www.helsinki.fi/en/news/nordic-welfare-news/the-basic-income-experiment-in-finland-yields-surprising-results

Unknown said...

1. 1946
2. Country
3. Reba had 24, so I'm guessing you mean her?
4. Bodyguard
5. 2014

P.S. It's me, Nina, in case I'm not logged in. Blogger is messing with me...

Freda said...

1 1946
2 Country
3 Patsy Cline
4 The Bodyguard
5 2014

Debbi said...

So ... I probably have more in common with Storm than John Lydon. Being that I do have a publishing imprint. Hmm ... wish I'd had the chance to meet her. She sounds exceptional. :)

1. 1946
2. country
3. Reba McEntire
4. The Bodyguard
5. 2014

I think I probably relate to Lydon in a musical way. As a musician. Once upon a time ...

Edith said...

1. 1946
2. country
3. Reba McEntire
4. The Bodyguard
5. Rythm Of My Heart.


Thank you, Paul. You are a good friend