Friday 23 October 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 23-10-2020: Pelé

23rd October, 2020.


Yes: it’s true … I had my nephew, Jude, over, yesterday.

Apparently?

Today is Crazy Hair Day.

I thought the two glasses of diet cola I let him have, might have been a bit much … 

But it turns out that, no: he’s right.

There is a Crazy Hair Day.

I don’t think I’ve got enough to do anything special: at least any more wacky than I’ve done in the intro video … 

But feel free to have a go, yourself!

~≈🧑‍🎤≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Trevor*, Olga†, Edith‡, Mum^, and Debbiª putting in their answers: with Trevor, Olga and Debbi scoring five out of five, Mum on four, and Edith on three.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video

Q1)        23rd October saw the birth of footballer, Pelé. In which year?

Q2)        He tried out for his first side at the age of 15: for the Brazilian team, Santos.   He signed the contract in which year: 1954, 1955 or 1956?

Q3)        He played as a what: goalkeeper, forward or mid-fielder?

Q4)        Which national side did Pelé play for … ?

Q5)        Finally … 2000 saw Pelé named as one of two people named as Player of the Century.   Who was the other?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …

Q1)        22nd October saw the birth of Dr Timothy Leary. In which year?
A1)        1920.

Q2)        He famously advised we should “Turn on, tune in … ” and what?
A2)        Drop out.

Q3)        Leary encouraged the use of which acid?
A3)        Lysergic acid diethylamide: also known as LSD, or acid.

Q4)        As part of the Harvard Psilocybin Project, Leary experimented with psilocybin. Psilocybin usually comes from what: toads, fungi/mushroom or wheat?
A4)        Fungi. (I understand LSD is made from a chemical extracted from a fungus that grows on various grains. There’s toads that sweat hallucinogens: they’re from the Colorado River area.)

Q5)        Finally … ? Between 1959 and 1963, Leary worked at which US University: Harvard, Berkeley or MIT?
A5)        Harvard.
Here’s a thought …
“I was born for soccer, just as Beethoven was born for music.”
Pelé.
And, talking of music?

A pair of songs …



Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.





*        That depends on what you call a mind-bending drug, Trevor: after all, beer’s technically a mind-altering substance.   And I bet you’ve had Satie’s Gymnopédies bouncing around your head!
Gary Numan did a version, if that’s any help … 

†        I’ve an old friend who keeps recommending Fargo, Olga!   But I’ve still not seen it!   I’ve still not caught up with Fury from The Deep, yet!   I’ll have to catch up with both!
I do know the Donmar’s got one hell of a reputation: both as a performance space, and a venue.   And I know the Donmar’s ’93 revival of Cabaret went don’t a storm!
I think you’re right: Barcelona’s got a very good reputation on transport.   Here?   Into and out of London’s ok, but going out from here … ?   Well … 


‡        Glad to here it, Edith.   How are you with soccer?   (Pelé’s on of the best footballer’s on the planet: although he’s gone on the record as saying the best footballer, ever, was George Best.)

^        Morning, Mum!   Did you get the Crazy Hair video?

ª        Well, it only seemed, right, Debbi.   You can’t mention sides, with-out mentioning Patrick McGoohan.   Actually, now I think of it, there’s a radio station called LBC in the UK: they used the opening credits in an ad, back in the 80s.   (And if you’re talking about piano … ?   Flanders and Swann are worth watching … )


6 comments:

Nik Nak said...

Just as a thought for Olga, Trevor, Edith, Debbi?

How do we feel about Crazy Hair Day … ?

Olga said...

Q1) 1940
Q2) 1956
Q3) It seems that it depends. Early in his career he was a forward, but when he was older he played as a mid-fielder as well. (I imagine Forward is what he is best-known for, but…)
Q4) Brazil
Q5) Diego Maradona
Yes, you definitely must watch Fargo. It's a delight. About crazy hair day... I had my hair trimmed a couple of days ago, so it would be difficult to make it look particularly crazy today (and I have to go to cover a news item for the radio in a bit, so probably not the best day), but I might mention it to my young student this afternoon. She might have some ideas to join in the celebrations. ;)

trev-v said...

A1 1940
A2 1956
A3 Forward
A4 Brazil
A5 Diego Armando Maradona .. The great “Hand of God” cheat.

In the middle ages Beer was safer to drink than water. Mind you it was brewed nearly as weak as Watneys Red Barrel. At least up north where I come from they brewed real beer.

My first drink in a pub was a tot of Sherry (Jerez ) in 1953 to toast Her Majesty The Queen on Coronation day. I was 5 years plus a few days old.

Hair I have very little. The Middle ages Monks with their tonsure hair cuts had more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonsure

Freda said...

1 1948
2 1956
3 Forward
4 Brazil
5 Eusabio

Edith said...

1.1940
2.1955
3 Forward
4. Brazil
5 Brandi Chastain

I know a little about it. My brother played in school.

Debbi said...

I have no thoughts on Crazy Hair Day, but if there's a Crazy Hare Day, it's portrayed in the movie Night of the Lepus!

As for Fargo, the earlier seasons were a bit better. This season is good enough to watch, but not quite as good as previous ones. Just my .02. Or two pence. Or tuppence. :)

1. 1940
2. 1956
3. forward
4. Brazil
5. Maradona