Sunday 4 October 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 4-10-2020: Four Square

4th October, 2020.


Right … it’s a definite: it’s raining … 

Seriously raining!

Rain that gets nursery rhymes written about it!


Raining so seriously, that going out for my usual stroll … ?

Means I’m going to get damp.

~≈᥊≈~

It means something else: I have a flight of stairs outside my door, that go up to the next floor.

At the top of the stairs?   There’s a window.

A window that’s above the main door of the building.

That bit of flooring at the top of the stairs … ?

Is getting wet … because someone’s forced the damn thing open.


I suspect it was my visitor from Tuesday: but couldn’t tell you for sure.

About all I can say?   Is that I believe whoever’s done this, didn’t know how to slip the latch on the main door.

So — in the pouring rain — climbed on the glass awning over the door and forced the window … 

I notified the police, and our landlords: as soon as I was told about it.

But … ?

Well … 

What DO you do … ?

~≈᥊≈~

Something that’s just been mentioned on Radio Four’s news bulletin — and very relevant to the piece I’m writing for PhoenixFM — is sad to hear.

Apparently?

Cineworld, one of the UK’s bigger Cinema chains, planning to close a number of its sites.

Citing No Time To Die’s second postponed release as an influencing factor in its decision.

I like seeing films at the cinema: it makes a movie into an event.

In addition, I’m very aware entertainment can contribute jobs and income to the UK’s economy.

So this … ?

This, as someone who likes seeing a film at a cinema, every-so-often?

This is not news I want to see.

~≈᥊≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Anne†, Trevor‡, David^, Debbiª and Edithº putting in their answers: with Olga, Anne, Trevor, David and Debbi scoring five out of five, and Edith on three.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video

Q1)    Is four odd or even?

Q2)    Is four a prime number?

Q3)    What’s four squared (4²)?

Q4)    What’s the square root of 4 (√4)?

Q5)    In most countries, Monday is the first day of the week. What is the fourth day of the week?

Q6)    The Hôtel-de-Ville is the Fourth Arrondissement of which French city?

Q7)    The Four Noble Truths are basic beliefs in which which religion?

Q8)    In music, 4/4 time is also called what?

Q9)    2024, 2020, 2016 and 2012 are four years distant from their predecessor. They’re also what?

Q10)    Finally … ?   Four runs are scored if the ball bounces, or rolls along the ground, before touching or going over the edge of the field.   In which UK sport?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …

Q1)    3rd October saw the reunification of Germany. In which year?
A1)    1990.

Q2)    It happened when East Germany joins West Germany.   Which of the two was the German Democratic Republic?
A2)    East Germany.

Q3)    Which of the two — up until the day — was the Federal Republic of Germany?
A3)    West Germany. (The country’s current name is still the Federal Republic of Germany, or Bundesrepublik Deutschland: effectively, it’s an expanded West Germany.)

Q4)    East Germany’s capital was East Berlin.   What was West Germany’s capital?
A4)    Bonn.   West Germany is still, occasionally, referred to as the Bonn Republic, after its capital.

Q5)    Finally … ?   East Germany was a Communist country, an ally of the USSR, and a member of the what Pact?
A5)    The Warsaw Pact.
As a thought?   I know many of my regulars aren’t stunned by the ten question sets: or by the numbers-themed ones.

In my defence, and as much as I might like writing them?   I’m trying to keep these to a minimum.   But am in something of a bind, as all of the previous numbers sets are ten question sets.

At any rate, here’s a quote …
“4 (four) is a number, numeral, and glyph. It is the natural number following 3 and preceding 5. It is the smallest composite number, and is considered unlucky in many East Asian cultures.”
From the Wikipedia page on the number four.
And a playlist


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.


*        I know I’ve seen a few more of the transparent ones doing the rounds, Olga: the ones that attach to the top of the head?   Usually, I see them in shops: for, I suspect, exactly that reason: so deaf people can lip read whoever they’re talking to.
Oh, yes: Jude’s going to be spoilt rotten.   And, frankly?   A book about Fortnite’s going to be cheaper than FIFA 21.   That’s just silly money!
Hopefully, yes: from what I’ve understood, a sentence of six to nine months will be enough time to do a rehab course, and any related courses.

†        Cheers, Anne!   We’ll see you then.   (Remind me to wave my review of Martyrs at you!)

‡        They possibly didn’t, Trevor: I don’t think Latin’s still taught in many schools.   Saying that?   Remember John Seaman?   Who drank at the Hutton?   He spoke Latin: I had his Latin dictionary for years!   (Oh, we’re back to five questions, tomorrow: the next ten question set is on the 12th, so you know.)

^        Now, now, David!   You don’t get extra points for doing it in German!   🤣   (Oh, umlauts and a eszett!   Handy!)

ª        Yeah … funny you should mention Zodiac, Debbi … I saw it a few years ago.   And, yes, they’re right about the Ripper link: neither were caught, and multiple people named as the killer.   No-one’s been definitely linked.
(It got three stars from me!   157 minutes is a bit long … but … !)

º        Morning, Edith!   How did the laundry go?   (I got a few bits done, this morning.)

6 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Even
Q2) No
Q3) 16
Q4) 2
Q5) Thursday
Q6) Paris
Q7) Buddhism
Q8) Common time (or imperfect time)
Q9) Leap years
Q10) cricket
There are masks that are transparent in front of the mouth (I'm not sure how much the screens actually protect) but are not available everywhere yet, although I've seen some in places where they sell hearing aids. I read a post about a girl who thought about it and started creating them, and she uses a special product or coating to ensure they don't get misty. There was a petition I signed that went to the health minister requesting they approve them. We shall see.
I saw your video and the pics on Instagram about the window. I don't know what there might be available in Brentwood, but there are shelters usually available in some shape or other so why do something like that, if it was that guy (well, or whoever it was).
I'm sorry about the cinemas situation. I remember how many there were around here when I was a child. Most closed a long time ago, then bigger chains opened some others, but even those are going down now (there was one that opened when I was a child that closed just before COVID got bad here, and the same big organisation, which also runs theatres, have closed some of their theatres and don't seem ready to open their cinemas either, so I'm not so sure what's going on. They used to run the bullfighting rings here as well, but those were banned a few years back here, in Catalonia, not in the rest of Spain).

Nik Nak said...

Just as a thought for Debbi and Olga?

I’ve turned my Teaser Template from the usual Pages file format into a plaintext.

Then add the questions and answers to the template.

It seems to help, getting yesterday’s questions And answers formatted the way-ish I want them … 

Edith Reuwer said...

1.even
2. no
3 16
4. -4
5. Thursday
6 Paris
7. Buddhism
8. Full
9. Leap year
10. cricket
I have towels to do today.

Debbi said...

Well done, Paul! Yeah, it did run a bit long, now that you mention it. And there were a few moments where I just wanted to yell, "Run, you idiot!" :)

I'll have to read your review.

1. even
2. no
3. 16
4. 2
5. Thursday
6. Paris
7. Buddhism
8. common time
9. Summer Olympics years (or US presidential freaking election years!)
10. cricket (what else, right? :) )

Fun times, eh? :)

Freda said...

1 Even
2 yes
3 16
4 16
5 thursday
6 paris
7 Budhism
8 dont know
9 Leap year
10 Cricket

Freda said...

These questions are sometimes very hard for an old girl to answer