Wednesday 14 October 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 14-10-2020: Breaking the Barrier

14th October, 2020.

Right … it’s now officially Wednesday: which means I’ve got an appointment with my landlords, this afternoon.

Assuming I’ve got my dates right!

Basically, to see what sort of funding I can get hold of: to help find a job … 

If I get nothing, I’m no worse off then I am, now.

If I can get a laptop off it … ?

AND do that training course?

I’m possibly laughing.

~≈¥≈~

Did I mention I’ve been watching Watchmen, over the past few weeks?

I managed to catch episode four — If You don’t Like My Story, Write Your Own — last night.

It has to be said: Jeremy Irons, cloned servants,  a lot of corpses, and a catapult?

Is a little unnerving …

~≈¥≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Trevor*, Olga†, Mum‡, Debbi^ and Edithª putting in their answers: with Trevor, Olga and Debbi scoring five out of five, Mum on four, and Edith on one.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video

Q1) 14th October saw Chuck Yeager become the first person to break the Sound Barrier: go faster than the speed of sound.   14th October of which year?

Q2) He did this in which experimental plane?

Q3) A plane going faster than the speed of sound, than roughly 767 mph, is going at which M?

Q4) Any plane that breaks the sound barrier makes a sonic … what?

Q5) Finally … ?   What’s faster, under normal circumstances: the speed of light or the the speed of sound?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …

Q1) 13th October saw Eliezer Ben-Yehuda hold the first modern conversation in Modern Hebrew. In which year: 1880, 1881 or 1882?
A1) 1881.

Q2) 13th October, 1943, saw Italy declare war … on where?

Q3) The last game of Baseball’s first World Series was played on 13th October, 1903. Which team won the series, 5-3?
A3) The Boston Americans: now called the Boston Red Socks.

Q4) 13th October, 1979, saw the birth of footballer, Wes Brown. He last played — as a defender — in the 2017/18 season: for which side?

Q5) Actor, Caleb McLaughlin, was born on 13th October, 2001. In which series does he play Lucas Sinclair?
A5) Stranger Things.   (Which is great fun.   Actually?   According to his Wikipedia entry, he’s left handed.   I like him already!)
Here’s a thought …
“The speed of sound is the distance travelled per unit of time by a sound wave as it propagates through an elastic medium.”
From the Wikipedia entry on the speed of sound.
And a clue … 


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.



*        Actually?   I was at college, there, when the brewery was there, Trevor.   You could tell when there was a batch on the go: you could smell it from half a mile away!   (Actually, if I recall, correctly, the Mighty Oak brewers were started by a Romford brewer staffer.   They used to do guest beers for the Essex Arms, when I was there: chap called John, on the right in this photo.)

†        That’s always the worry, I think, Olga: whether a given peripheral will work with a given bit of kit.   Don’t get me started on disk partitions!
I take your point about regional government.   ‘Never ending fun’ is putting it mildly!   Don’t worry about The length of the comment … I know how long I can go on.   (You watch, Olga, Trevor’s going to say something!)
Actually, talking of Madrid?   The BBC News channel’s just announced its on lockdown, again!

‡        Hello Mum!   (I sure Anna can have a go, herself!)

^         Pleasure, every time, Debbi!   I’ve not seen it, myself, yet: I’ve got to finish the next PhoenixFM article, first!

ª        I’ve just flicked through the post you tweeted on Twitter, Edith!   It sounds nasty!

5 comments:

trev-v said...

A1 1947
A2 Bell X1
A3 Mach 1
A4 Boom or Bang
A5 speed of light

Ah the smell of Romford Brewery. I remember it well. We used to come to Romford from Croydon once a month to visit our users. Being driven in from the M25 one could smell Romford from a distance.



Olga said...

Q1) 1947
Q2) The Bell X-1 Glamorous Glennis
Q3) Mach
Q4) boom
Q5) The speed of light
Yes, Madrid are locked in after much discussion between the two governments. Things seem to be improving there, but not fast enough. It's looking awful in most places, and here I've heard the restaurants and bars will close early.
Good luck with your meeting!

Freda said...

1 1952
2 747
3 no idea
4 Bang
5 Sound

Debbi said...

Thank you for keeping these short. :) I'm going through a tough time with the ole dystonia. Ouch!

1. 1947
2. the Bell X-1
3. Mach 1
4. boom
5. the speed of light

Edith Reuwer said...

1.1968
2.747
3.momentum
4.boom
5.sound

Hi Paul. Perhaps it is because I have had Ataxia my entire life, but I am used to it. I just have to rebuild me every day. I cried when I read you thought it was nasty. I think you meant well, but it is part of me one of my traveling companions in life. Perhaps my brain will be healed one day. There is so much that can be done for me, and I can do most of it during a pandemic. My mom built my life around activities that made me function better. That is one reason I sing. There is a video of me singing at a Christmas party on Youtube.