Thursday 22 October 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser —  22-10-2020: Timothy Leary

22nd October, 2020.


I hate earworms, I really do!

Or, at least, sometimes, I do!

Sometimes, they’re not too bad.   And occasionally?

They’re just plain odd!

Today’s … ?   Is mildly odd.

Yep: the Singing Nun’s turned up!


~≈😕≈~

Extending the theme?

It seems Pope Francis has expressed support for civil unions.

Civil unions, I should add, rather than equal marriage.

Granted, that’s not exactly the whole nine yards … but … ?

But, coming from a Pope, any Pope, the man in charge of a city state, and an organisation — Vatican City, and the Curia — that’s known to be … mildly conservative to say the least?

That’s a left wing revolution in the making.

Good for him!

~≈🙂≈~

And finally, on a personal level?

The interview, yesterday, didn’t work out.

Oh, the job sounded fine, and the interviewer, keen to both talk to me, and, potentially, hire me … 

Unfortunately, the office was just too far: too bus rides away!

That’s … 

Well … disappointing … 

~≈😞≈~

As a final, final thought?

I managed to finish my video review of Watchman, episode 5.

Just so you know!


~≈😄≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Trevor*, Olga†, Mum‡, Edith^ and Debbiª putting in their answers: with Trevor, Olga and Debbi scoring five out of five, Mum on three, and Edith on zero.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video

Q1)        22nd October saw the birth of Dr Timothy Leary. In which year?

Q2)        He famously advised we should “Turn on, tune in … ” and what?

Q3)        Leary encouraged the use of which acidº?

Q4)        As part of the Harvard Psilocybin Project, Leary experimented with psilocybin. Psilocybin usually comes from what: toads, fungi or wheat?

Q5)        Finally … ? Between 1959 and 1963, Leary worked at which US University: Harvard, Berkeley or MIT?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …

Q1)        A bloodless coup d’etat occurred: on 21st October, 1969.   In which African country?
A1)        Somalia.

Q2)        The HMAS Australia was damaged on 21st October, 1944: at the Battle of Leyte Gulf.   The ship was (arguably) the first to suffer from a what: mine, kamikaze attack or nuclear bomb?
A2)        Kamikaze attack.

Q3)        The Republic of Formosa collapsed on 21st October, 1895: when it was invaded by Japan.   The Republic was on the island we now call what?
A3)        Taiwan.

Q4)        21st October, 1941, saw the birth of Steve The Colonel Cropper: guitarist for Booker T and the MGs.   As such, he was a member of the house band for which record label?
A4)        Stax.

Q5)        Finally … ?   21st October, 1946, saw the birth off singer, Lux Interior.   He was lead singer for which American band … ?
A5)        The Cramps.
Here’s a thought …
“To describe externals, you become a scientist. To describe experience, you become an artist.”
Timothy Leary.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.



*        Will do, Trevor: I’m Jude sitting, today, so she’ll probably be picking him up.   You know, the phrase dressing a turkey always confused me.   Oh, I know it means stuffing a turkey, but it always leaves me with some weird mental images!

†        I was never a big Cramps fan, to be honest, Olga.   But I know they started the whole Psychobilly thing off.
William H. Macy, William H. Macy, where do I know him from … ?   You know, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a film with William H. Macy in it?   I’m going to have to remedy that!
You know, I did drama at college: I don’t think we covered much Greek anything: out-side Lysistrata … that’s my loss!   Either way, I know sitting down with it would be good: that version of Antigone is still spoken well of!!
Hang on … we can’t go working out what sides a spy in a spy novel’s on!   That’s half the fun!
As for the interview … well … 
(Hope The subject’s OK: I know Leary’s seen as a little unprofessional …)


‡        Morning, Mum: Edith and Trevor said Hello!

^        Cheers, Edith!   I have to get Muesli, as well!   (Oh, Cambodia’s in Asia, so you know!)

ª        Oh, I say!   Italics!   Well done you, Debbi!   You do know you can use the a tag in the comments?   Just in case there’s a link you want to share?
Good luck with the piano!   We’re expecting boogie-woogie!   Mind you … there’s not many who could get away with it … !   Jools Holland and Dr John … ?   I should say so!   (Oh, Holland’s doing a rolling baseline, at about 3:10)


º        Leary’s quoted as saying: “Don’t take [this] unless you are very well prepared, unless you are specifically prepared to go out of your mind.   Don’t take it unless you have someone that’s very experienced with you to guide you through it.”   I’m told taking various tribal hallucinogens is becoming fashionable amongst travellers: so long as an appropriate guide, doctor, or experienced shaman, is present.   The same way indigenous communities use their preferred substance: with an appropriate, and sober, shaman present.   I’m also told that — in his later career — Leary was less picky about having a sober supervisor around.   As a former barman?   I’m very aware that not being drunk on the job is appreciated: as someone need to keep an eye on people.   I don’t know if that makes me a tribal shaman, though.   I don’t think the outfit would work in suburban Essex!)

5 comments:

trev-v said...

A1 1920
A2 Drop out
A3 Lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD)
A4 fungi
A5 Harvard University

I do not get earworm as I mainly listen to classical orchestral music.
I am currently listening to Fantasie an album played by the violinist Nicola Benedetti on my Amazon music stream.

I must be one of the few people who went through the Hippie era who did not taken mind bending drugs.

Olga said...

Q1) 1920
Q2) Drop out
Q3) Lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD)
Q4) Fungi
Q5) Harvard
Haven't you ever watched Fargo (the movie, I mean)? William H. Macy plays the husband, the guy working at the car dealership. He is also the main protagonist of the American version of Shameless, and he's won quite a few awards for it. I saw him at the Donmar Warehouse playing in one of Mamet's plays, American Buffalo. He was great, and he signed my programme (and that of my friend). He seemed like quite a genial guy. We saw Emma Thompson (plenty of people went to see it that same day, it seems), and my friend asked her for her autograph (she wasn't playing there) and she looked quite surprised, but he told her she couldn't get out of it (so yes, I have her autograph as well). I think it's the only time I've bothered to try and get an autograph, but I was researching Mamet, and the Donmar is a pretty small theatre, so I thought it was worth the wait.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1586680/
Oh, sorry about the job. These days I'm going a fair amount of traveling on public transport for the classes, but, from the sound of it, I suspect we are better connected here (and I do love a walk). I hope something more suitable comes up soon.
Give my regards to Jude and have fun today.

Edith said...

1 1927
2.drop out
3LSD
4. Mushroom
5. Berkley

The subject is fine. It is part of history.

Freda said...

1 1920
2 listen
3 LSD
4 Fungi
5 Harvard

Debbi said...

I'm doing my best on piano, given that my latest treatment seems to have weakened my fingers substantially. Ack! I can barely type this. But I'm here! :)

1. 1920
2. drop out
3. LSD
4. fungi
5. Harvard

And an appearance by Patrick Himself! :)