Friday, 30 October 2020

Dr Who — Season 5 Serial 6: Fury from the Deep — Episode 5 and 6 — A Review

29th October, 2020.


Right … 

It’s official: I’ve just seen the last two episodes of Fury from the Deep … and am going to tell you all about it, tomorrow!

Frankly, it’s getting late.

I did want to do my usual thing, though: of starting my review the night I watched it.

That way … ?

I know I have to finish it!

~≈🧐≈~


30th October, 2020.

With that said … ?

It’s now the 30th, and I’m picking up where I left off.   Very aware that I’m going to be baby sitting my nephew, this afternoon: so I want to try and get this review done as quickly as I possibly can.

Let me tell you about these last episodes.

Following on from episode four, Episode 5 shows us the Doctor, Jamie and Victoria (Patrick Troughton, Frazer Hines and Deborah Watling) warning the ESGO base’s crew that the Weed is about to invade … 

Meanwhile … ?

Harris realises that at least two crew members: crew members who have very good knowledge of the base … and that this members would be vulnerable to pure oxygen.

Meanwhile?   Robson has been found in his cabin: and a desperate Ms Jones believes she can help him … only to realise he’s under the Weed’s control.

It’s only after that discussion … ?   That getting the Doctor’s help to stop the Weed’s advance, starts to look helpful.

It’s only when Jamie notices Mr Oak and Mr Quill* hanging around … that someone realises who the Weed’s hidden agents are.

That?   That confirms something else the Doctor’s thought about.

Someone has to visit the rigs where the Weed is based … 

~≈😟≈~

Episode 6 picks up from the end of episode 5: showing us the possessed Robson, threatening the Doctor.

It’s only when Victoria starts screaming at what Robson has become?

That the Doctor realises … high pitched screaming can scare the Weed creatures off: AND potentially destroyed.

The Doctor, Jamie and Victoria manage to flee back to base with their news: finding out exactly how difficult it is to fly a helicopter in the process … 

And getting back to base to find a tape recorder!

Recording Victoria screams is the only way to stop the Weed … 

~≈😀≈~

Now … 

Were these two episodes good?   Did they wrap the story up, well?   Was Fury from the Deep a good story, all told?

Yes: these last two episodes tied off the story: and did so, very well, indeed.

The story itself?

Is a great little base-under-siege story.

You can possibly argue Troughton’s era over-did those: although the only others that spring to my mind are Tomb of the Cybermen, Moonbase and Web of Fear.

If you assume the London Underground’s a very big base!

I’m digressing.

And sill stand my point: Fury from the Deep is a great little base-under-siege story.

Beautifully told, well acted … and with a twist in the tail.

Personally?

I think Fury from the Deep is going to be enjoyed by fans and non-fans, alike … 








 *        I can’t help but think of them as Croup and Vandamar.   OK, Croup and Vandemar, Pin and Tulip, and Quill and Oak, aren’t exactly the same … but I think Gaiman, Pratchett and Pemberton were mining from the same seam.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.