Friday 30 October 2020

Dr Who — Season 5 Serial 6: Fury from the Deep — Episode 5 and 6 — A Review

29th October, 2020.


Right … 

It’s official: I’ve just seen the last two episodes of Fury from the Deep … and am going to tell you all about it, tomorrow!

Frankly, it’s getting late.

I did want to do my usual thing, though: of starting my review the night I watched it.

That way … ?

I know I have to finish it!

~≈🧐≈~


30th October, 2020.

With that said … ?

It’s now the 30th, and I’m picking up where I left off.   Very aware that I’m going to be baby sitting my nephew, this afternoon: so I want to try and get this review done as quickly as I possibly can.

Let me tell you about these last episodes.

Following on from episode four, Episode 5 shows us the Doctor, Jamie and Victoria (Patrick Troughton, Frazer Hines and Deborah Watling) warning the ESGO base’s crew that the Weed is about to invade … 

Meanwhile … ?

Harris realises that at least two crew members: crew members who have very good knowledge of the base … and that this members would be vulnerable to pure oxygen.

Meanwhile?   Robson has been found in his cabin: and a desperate Ms Jones believes she can help him … only to realise he’s under the Weed’s control.

It’s only after that discussion … ?   That getting the Doctor’s help to stop the Weed’s advance, starts to look helpful.

It’s only when Jamie notices Mr Oak and Mr Quill* hanging around … that someone realises who the Weed’s hidden agents are.

That?   That confirms something else the Doctor’s thought about.

Someone has to visit the rigs where the Weed is based … 

~≈😟≈~

Episode 6 picks up from the end of episode 5: showing us the possessed Robson, threatening the Doctor.

It’s only when Victoria starts screaming at what Robson has become?

That the Doctor realises … high pitched screaming can scare the Weed creatures off: AND potentially destroyed.

The Doctor, Jamie and Victoria manage to flee back to base with their news: finding out exactly how difficult it is to fly a helicopter in the process … 

And getting back to base to find a tape recorder!

Recording Victoria screams is the only way to stop the Weed … 

~≈😀≈~

Now … 

Were these two episodes good?   Did they wrap the story up, well?   Was Fury from the Deep a good story, all told?

Yes: these last two episodes tied off the story: and did so, very well, indeed.

The story itself?

Is a great little base-under-siege story.

You can possibly argue Troughton’s era over-did those: although the only others that spring to my mind are Tomb of the Cybermen, Moonbase and Web of Fear.

If you assume the London Underground’s a very big base!

I’m digressing.

And sill stand my point: Fury from the Deep is a great little base-under-siege story.

Beautifully told, well acted … and with a twist in the tail.

Personally?

I think Fury from the Deep is going to be enjoyed by fans and non-fans, alike … 








 *        I can’t help but think of them as Croup and Vandamar.   OK, Croup and Vandemar, Pin and Tulip, and Quill and Oak, aren’t exactly the same … but I think Gaiman, Pratchett and Pemberton were mining from the same seam.



No comments: