Wednesday 21 October 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 21st October, 2020.

21st October, 2020.


Right … I have to admit to getting an early night, last night.

So … ?

For starters, that means I’ll be finishing my write-up of Watchmen’s fifth episode, this afternoon.

After I’ve had a phone interview.

Am I nervous?   Mildly, yes.

Am I expecting anything from it?   Frankly, no: the way my luck’s gone, I’m not expecting anything … !

We’ll have to see, though.

~≈😐≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Trevor*, Olga†, Edith‡, Mum^ and Debbiª putting in their answers: with Trevor, Olga, Debbi and Mum scoring five out of five, and Edith on four.

The day also say Mum looking in to say ‘Hello’ to every one.   (Say hello, everyone!)

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video

Q1)        A bloodless coup d’etat occurred: on 21st October, 1969.   In which African country?

Q2)        The HMAS Australia was damaged on 21st October, 1944: at the Battle of Leyte Gulf.   The ship was (arguably) the first to suffer from a what: mine, kamikaze attack or nuclear bomb?

Q3)        The Republic of Formosa collapsed on 21st October, 1895: when it was invaded by Japan.   The Republic was on the island we now call what?

Q4)        21st October, 1941, saw the birth of Steve The Colonel Cropper: guitarist for Booker T and the MGs.   As such, he was a member of the house band for which record label?

Q5)        Finally … ?   21st October, 1946, saw the birth off singer, Lux Interior.   He was lead singer for which American band … ?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …

Q1)        Pirate, John Rackham, was captured: on 20th October, 1702.   He was better known as Calico … what
A1)        Calico Jack.

Q2)        20th October is the feast day of Saint Acca of Hexham.   This particular Hexham is in the northernmost county of where: England, Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales?
A2)        England.

Q3)        Muammar Gaddafi was captured on 20th October, 2011.   He was the former dictator of which country?
A3)        Libya.

Q4)        Jacqueline Kennedy got married: on 20th October, 1968.   To whom?
A4)        Aristotle Onassis.

Q5)        Finally … ?   20th October, 1973, saw the then President accept the resignations of the Attorney General, and the Deputy Attorney General: and order the firing of a Special Prosecutor.   Which President? 
A5)        Richard Milhous Nixon.
Here’s a thought …
“What outrages me is that people can be so satisfied and half asleep.”
Lux Interior, October 21, 1946 – February 4, 2009.
And, as Steve ‘The Colonel’ Cropper played on at least two versions of it, a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        I’m saying nothing about ladies who swear, Trevor, Olga will give me a look!   But, yeah, that sounds familiar!   You should have heard some or the regulars at the Essex!

†        House of Games, House of Games … is that the one with Clive Owen, Olga?   No, that’s Croupier … !   Either way, I’ll have to put both on my list!
And I think you’re right: it’s the language we first that has the powerful swear words.   Quite what happens if you learn two or more at the same time, I don’t know: but I’d imagine you’d have quite a palette!
Oh, I mentioned Tom Lehrer to Debbi!   I con’t not mention this to a former mental health worker!



‡        Blimey, you ARE having it rough, Edith!   At any rate, Star Trek Discovery’s worth a go, if you can get to it.   (Oh, my reviews have spoilers, just so you know!)

^        Morning, Mum … !

ª        Cheers, Debbi!   I’m thinking a crime one would be next: but we’ll see.   Oh … JUST as a thing?   I’ve had the Today programme on, this morning.   The big announcement?   He’s put his entire back catalogue — sheet music and all! — into the public domain!   How are you with pianos?   (Rick might like THIS one … !)

6 comments:

trev-v said...

A1 Somalia
A2 kamikaze attack
A3 Taiwan
A4 Stax Records
A5 The Cramps.


Say hello to your mum from me.

Yes I have been in public houses where some of the people manage to put a swear word in every sentence. Often it is every third word.

Being bilingual in English and Canadian I kown that there are different swear words in each language. Any shared one too.

Mind you the Canadians have different word for some of our common vegetables too.

Do not forget the English stuff a Turkey and the Canadians dress a Turkey. Same action but different words.

Olga said...

Q1) Somalia
Q2) Kamikaze attack
Q3) Taiwan
Q4) Stax Records
Q5) The Cramps (I must confess I don’t think I’ve ever heard of them, but quite like the name)
Love the Oedipus Rex song. (It's a pretty good play as Greek tragedies go. I must confess I understand Greek tragedies much better than their comedies, and I also tend to prefer Shakespeare's tragedies to the rest of his plays, although some of his comedies are OK (his historical plays can be quite dry. I have the same problem with them as I have with spy novels. After a while I have no idea who is who and which side they are on).
Croupier is much more recent than House of Games, but it's a great movie. House of Games has Joe Mantegna in great form, Lindsay Crouse (who at the time was Mamet's wife), a very young William H. Macy (he was one of Mamet's students), and a few other less well-known people, including a magician friend of Mamet (Ricky Jay).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Games
Good luck with the interview. Let us know how it went.

Freda said...

1 Uganda
2 Kamikaze
3 Twiwan
4 Decca
5 iron maiden

Edith said...

1Cambodia
2.nuclear Bomb
3Fuji
4.Chess
5. Cars

Hello, Paul's mum.

Remember, Paul when you go shopping to buy porridge, soup and the like to fill up.

Debbi said...

I'm getting back into playing piano, actually.

1. Somalia
2. kamikaze attack
3. Taiwan
4. Stax Records
5. The Cramps

House of Games and Croupier are both really good. Alex Kingston is the latter. :)

Freda said...

1 ?
2 Derby County
4 Uganda
3 Pewie Pie
5 David Tennant