Tuesday 27 October 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 27-10-2020: Oh, Mr Cleese … !

27th October, 2020.


Right … I am officially bound and determined to watch TV, tonight!

Frankly?   I’m up to episode six of Watchmen: one I’m looking forward to.

We get to see more of a meticulously crafted background world!

If you’ve not seen it?   Feel free to, it’s worth you’re time!

~≈😶≈~

Right at the moment … ?

It’s 8:15.

Which means?

It’s thirty-five minutes since I got a scam call from an Indian call-centre, claiming to be from Amazon.

The woman I got through to, after going to through the automated part of the call, ending up putting the phone down on me: as she got a pile of abuse abuse from me.

I’ll apologise … 

But, frankly, getting a scam call at this time of the morning is not something I react well to.

~≈😡≈~
Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Trevor†, Mum‡, Debbi^ and Edithª putting in their answers: with Trevor, Olga and Debbi scoring five out of five, and Edith on four, and Mum — on the wrong post! — on three.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video

Q1)        27th October saw the birth of John Cleese.   In which year?

Q2)        He recorded I’m Sorry, I’ll Read That, Again for the BBC Home Service.   Then for the BBC Light Programme.   Then for which Radio station?

Q3)        Cleese wrote sketches for The Frost Report, with whom: Terry Jones, Graham Chapman, Eric Idle, Michael Palin or Terry Gilliam?

Q4)        Cleese, Jones, Chapman, Idle, Palin and Gilliam went on to make possibly the most influential comedy show ever made.   What WAS that comedy show?

Q5)        Finally?   Cleese’s best known solo work?   Was a sitcom he made with his first wife, Connie Booth: about a hotel in Torquay.   What was that sitcom?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …

Q1)        Five hundred years, ago, today: 26th October, 1520, saw Charles 5th crowned as what: Kaiser, Holy Roman Emperor or Shogun?
A1)        Holy Roman Emperor.   (If I’ve read Wikipedia, correctly?   He had three different coronations in order for it to be official. This particular one? Was in what's now Germany.)

Q2)        26th October, 1919, saw the birth of Mohammad Reza Pahlavi.   He was crowned as Shah of Iran on 26th October of which year of the 1960s?
A2)        1967.

Q3)        Seth McFarlane was born on 26th October, 1973.   He created the Griffin family, and their dog Brian.   For which series?
A3)        Family Guy.

Q4)        26th October, 1951, saw the birth of keyboard player, Tommy Mars.   For many years, Mars played with which Z’s touring band?
A4) Frank Zappa’s.

Q5)        Finally … ?   26th October, 1946, saw the birth of transgender actress, Holly Woodlawn.   She get’s a mention in which Lou Reed song?
A5)        Walk on the Wild Side.   (The bass line on that song is one of the most distinctive ever played … )
Here’s a thought …
“At this stage of my life I have to accept that I’m not likely to come across anything as startlingly good as Buster Keaton.”
John Cleese.
And a complaint … 

 

Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.



*        So … you’re saying you avoided being a WAG, Olga?   That’s possibly a good thing!   The world only needs so many Victoria Beckhams!   At any rate, the fact they sold the stadium is … well, not surprising.   I’m no fan: but I know a few English clubs have been selling up and moving.
And you’re right: Walk on the Wild Side’s a hell of a thing to get mentioned in.   It’s that bass line, isn’t it … ?   I could feel myself typing alone to it … (Do-be-do-be-do.   Do-be-do!)



†        Yeah, Terry’s long since gone, Trevor.   I don’t know if any one from the Hutton went to the funeral, though: I know most of the regulars turned out for Bill’s.   (If ANY one was a real world version of Cohan the Barbarian, it was Bill!   As I recall, he was arm wrestling Pete the Landlord, right up until the end!)
As for VAR … ?   I’m saying nothing: but I got the impression it was seen as a good move, originally.

‡        Hello, Mum!   We’re over here, this morning!!!!!!!!!!

^        Very true, Debbi, very true!   I don’t think it helped that the writer wasn’t a sci-fi fan.   I think the genre’s a bit like the Noir/hard boiled genres: it helps if you know what it looks like!   (The late Terrence Dicks put it better than me: describing it as “… a funny ol’ beast,” in some of the Dr Who DVDs.)

ª        My pleasure, Edith, any time!   You know, our next local elections are next May: they’ve been shifted because of the COVID situation.   I couldn’t tell you if the postal votes are free, though.   I’ve never needed one, as the local polling station is literally five minutes from my front door, in a local church hall.   (UK polling stations are usually in churches or schools: it earns them a bit of cash they can spend on maintenance.)

4 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) 1939
Q2) BBC Radio 2 (that had been the Light Programme before. I was a listener of Radio 2 and sorely missed Terry Wogan used to talk about that).
Q3) Graham Chapman
Q4) Monty Python’s Flying Circus
Q5) Fawlty Towers (I’m pretty sure I’ve mentioned this before, but here, in Catalonia at least, the series was shown in Catalan television, but Manuel wasn’t from Barcelona, he was from Mexico. They must have thought a lot of people wouldn’t find it funny (it being the capital of Catalonia and also where a big chunk of the population is concentrated), but I must confess that the “I’m from Barcelona, I know nothing” saved me from many complex situations and always made people laugh and forget whatever serious business they were going to take up with me. I always recommend it to everybody. I wanted to use the music as my entry theme for my radio programme in Penistone, but I guess the BBC doesn’t allow their theme tunes to be shared or used anywhere (perhaps at a very hefty price, but not something a local radio station could afford). Oh, well! I used Mozart instead. He didn’t mind.
I remember I registered my phone number in the privacy list or whatever it was called, when I was living in the UK, to prevent cold calls (not sure it would work for scams) and it seemed to have some effect. But yes, they get everywhere and at any time.

trev-v said...

A1 1939
A2 Radio 2
A3 Graham Chapman
A4 Monty Python's Flying Circus
A5 Fawlty Towers

Yes many soccer treams sold their grounds and moved out of town. The Iron solf The Old Show-ground to a supper-market chain and move down the hill to the flood plain of the River Trent.
They named the new ground after the then Rural district that it came under. The new ground back in the later 1980 was called Glandford Park. Last year the owner renamed it after his property development company. It is now called The Sands Venue Stadium . The nearest beach is about 30 miles away.

Freda said...

1 1939
2 Radio 2
3 Michael Palin
4 Monty Pythons Flying Circus
5 Fawlty Towers

Debbi said...

I'd say a spam phone call is unwelcome at any time, actually. :)

1. 1939
2. BBC Radio 2
3. Graham Chapman
4. Monty Python's Flying Circus
5. Fawlty Towers