Saturday 31 October 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 31-10-2020: Halloween

31st November, 2020.


Right … it’s official … I have another earworm doing the rounds!

I’ve got Little Big’s Go Bananas being through my head!


Why?

I don’t know.

If I knew that, I’d know why a Russian band sang in Spanglish.   Or singing about Bananaman!




~≈†≈~

Just so you know … ?

I’m working on another piece for PhoenixFM: this time, about crime.

In between watching and TV, writing Teasers, I should say.

I’m going to hang the thing on the rough sleeper I had on my doorstep, a couple of weeks ago.


I’ got in touch with the police officer handling the case, actually: just to follow that up.

Apparently, he’s not managed to track the guy down: although he has identified him.

The sooner he does, the happier I’ll be.

~≈†≈~

On top of all THAT … ?

I’m expecting a phone call on Tuesday.

As you may or may not know, I’m thinking of doing an European Computer Driving License course: just to refresh my skills.

But don’t have a Windows based pc the course insists on.

Thankfully?

It seems my landlords have a Digital Futures have a scheme that will loan me a laptop.

Here’a hoping it goes well!.

~≈†≈~
Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Mum†, Debbi‡ and Edith^ putting in their answers: with Trevorª leaving us a message.

The day saw Olga, Mum and Edith on five out of five, and Debbi on three.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video

Q1)        31st October is Halloween.   The word is a contraction of All Hallow’s … what?

Q2)        Many will be carving Jack O’lanterns out of pumpkins.   The Irish traditionally used a … what: turnip, cheese wheel or car tire?

Q3)        Halloween is said to have its roots in the Celtic festival, Samhain.   Samhain usually marked the end of which H?

Q4)        Who directed the first Halloween film, in 1978?

Q5)        Finally … ?   Zhongyuan Jie (中元節) is the Chinese equivalent to Halloween.   Zhongyuan Jie (中元節) translate’s into English, as the Hungry what Festival?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …

Q1)        Henry Tudor was crowned as King on 30th October. Of where?
A1)        England. (He was also the last king to win the kingdom on the field of battle: specifically, the Battle of Bosworth Field )

Q2)        In which year of the 1480s?
A2)        1485.

Q3)        He was the first King of which dynasty?
A3)        The Tudor.

Q4)        He was Henry the what: 6th, 7th or 8th?
A4)        Henry 7th.

Q5)        Finally … ?   Henry was the first monarch from his dynasty. Who was the last?
A5)        Gloriana, herself: Elizabeth 1st.   (Also known as Good Queen Bess, Gloriana, the Virgin Queen.)
Here’s a thought …
“I think if human beings had genuine courage, they’d wear their costumes every day of the year, not just on Halloween.”
From The Gum Thief by Douglas Coupland.
And a scary playlist …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.



*        Good luck on the phone meeting, then, Olga!   It sounds like things are tightening, all over: apparently, the UK government’s talking about a national lockdown, again: we’ll know on Monday.
As for assisted dying … ?   For myself, it’s not something I’d want for me … but you’re right, I think: the option has to be there.   And the New Zealand law looks like it’s got good precautions in it.

†        Morning, Mum!

‡        Yeah, there’s a song about ONE Henry 8th, Debbi: it’s not the same Henry, though!   The Herman’s Hermit’s one’s is cheesy.   Definitely cheesy.   Dear god!


^        Morning, Edith: how’s the day looking … !

ª        I hate to admit it, Trevor, I don’t think anyone else had an issue with Q1, yesterday … … … … 

4 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) evening
Q2) turnip
Q3) the harvest season
Q4) John Carpenter
Q5) The Hungry Ghost Festival
Good luck with getting a PC. And with the new article. You're going to be busy, but it should be good busy. Well, the phone meeting will mean spending money (there are problems with the gutters in the building, or rather, the street, but it seems that it's still the neighbours responsibility to pay for the work, so it's going to prove expensive. At least 500 euros, and they have to be paid in advance of the work being completed. At least here, at my mother's place, the work can be paid in installments. Oh, well. I was telling my mother I'd rather move to 2022 and give up on the rest of the year and next (I'm not sure at the rate we're going things will change significantly next year, vaccine or not).

Freda said...

1 Eve
2 Turnip
3 Harvest Festival
4 ?
5 Ghost

Debbi said...

Very, very cheesy, indeed! :)

1. Eve
2. turnip
3. the harvest
4. John Carpenter
5. Ghost

Edith said...

1 eve
2.turnip
3.harvest
4 john carpenter
5.Ansestors