Tuesday 20 October 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 20th October, 2020.

20th October, 2020.


Right: I’ve finally finished the most recent article for PhoenixFM!

If anyone wants to cheer, they’d be welcome.

If anyone want’s to read the thing?

That would be nice, too.

But just to try and summarise it?

My town hasn’t had a cinema since the old ABC closed down.

I think we could go with one: if for no other reason than providing a social distanced morale boosting.

~≈😷≈~

I take it you follow the news, at all … ?

I’ve noticed this piece float past on the BBC’s teletext service.

It seems a group of cyber-criminals — calling themselves the Darkside Group — have decided to become modern-day Robin Hoods: and donate some of their ill-gotten gains to a couple of charities.

Why?

I have no idea.

Beyond thinking they’re either trying to generate good publicity for themselves … or not very good at money laundering … 

~≈😷≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Trevor*, Olga†, Edith‡, Mum^ and Debbiª putting in their answers: with Trevor, Olga, Debbi and Mum scoring five out of five, and Edith on two.

The day also say Mum looking in to say ‘Hello’ to every one.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video

Q1)        Pirate, John Rackham, was captured: on 20th October, 1702. He was better known as Calico … what?

Q2)        20th October is the feast day of Saint Acca of Hexham.   This particular Hexham is in the northernmost county of where: England, Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales?

Q3)        Muammar Gaddafi was captured on 20th October, 2011.   He was the former dictator of which country?

Q4)        Jacqueline Kennedy got married: on 20th October, 1968.   To whom?

Q5)        Finally … ?   20th October, 1973, saw the then President accept the resignations of the Attorney General, and the Deputy Attorney General: and order the firing of a Special Prosecutor.   Which President?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …

Q1)        19th October, 1745, saw the death of Anglo-Irish writer, Jonathan Swift.   He died at the age of 77: in which Irish city?
A1)        Dublin.

Q2)        Swift was born in 1667.   In which Irish city?
A2)        Dublin.

Q3)        Swift’s best known as a what: satirist, parodist or ventriloquist?
A3)        A satirist.

Q4)        Swift held a post at Saint Patrick’s Cathedral.   Which post: Bishop, Vicar or Dean?
A4)        Dean.

Q5)        Finally? His best know work, today?   Was Gulliver’swhat?
A5)        Gulliver’s Travels.
Here’s a thought …
“What I’ve always wanted to do is to try and make it look like $100m but it doesn’t cost that - I find that really liberating.”
Danny Boyle, born 20 October 1956.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        I’m definitely a muesli person, Trevor: big end or little end, eggs were never for me.   Not since I was three, anyway.   (I’ve very vague memories of tapping an egg open, with a spoon … small end first.   But that Was fifty years or so ago …)

†        Olga, I am definitely going have to have to bookmark yesterday’s Teaser, it made my day!   At any rate … ?   Am I right in assuming the ñ is a sort of ny sound, isn’t it?   I don’t even know what the Spanish name for ñ is!   (I don’t think the ñ is an issue, though: the English equivalent’s the rudest word in British English.   I know I picked up Debbi for using it in Identity Theft, I think!)
Oh, LORD, Mad About the Boy … ?   One of Noël Coward’s finest, I think!   Dinah Washington’s is supposed to be the version!   (“… traces of cad about the boy.”   Only Noël would come cup with that one)
You’re not the only the only one to like the Spandau song.   And now I think of it: they weren’t the only ones wearing frilly tartan outfits … 


‡        You know, I think an ex-girlfriend of mine had something similar, Edith: I don’t know if she got it corrected, though.   It’s another one that sounds nasty!   Oh, are you much of a one for Star Trek: Discovery?   That’s another series I’ve got on my watch list!   (Just so you know?   Belfast’s in what’s now Northern Ireland.   And part of the UK, the same country I’m in.)

^        Morning, Mum!

ª        I have to admit, Debbi, Gulliver’s Travels is another one I’ve not read.   That image of him tied to a beach, surrounded by Lilliputians, and the eggs things that Trevor mentioned?   Are both universal.   (Oh, did I mention the cinema article?   I’m planning a crime one, next.)

º        From what I can gather, I’m a Banana’s a big hit with Jude’s friends.

7 comments:

trev-v said...

A1 Jack
A2 England
A3 Libya
A4 Aristotle Socrates Onassis
A5 Richard Milhous Nixon


For the record I am a “Little Ender” when I have boiled eggs. Not a problem today as I had scrambled eggs on toast for breakfast.

I think I learned most of my swear words from the Ladies who worked in the Tank Armour Bay on the local steelworks when I was a young clerical apprentice.

Nik Nak said...

Oh, if it’s any help, Debbi?

Apparently, mics are going to be muted in the next Presidential Debate.

You have to love a debate, don’t you.

Olga said...

Q1) Calico Jack
Q2) England
Q3) Libya
Q4) Aristotle Onassis
Q5) Richard Nixon
Yes, you're right about the word and the pronunciation. Saying that my surname is Núñez, and in all the time I was in the UK only one person (not a Spaniard, of course) pronounced it correctly the first time around, but that's fine. It's weird, and I'm sure it's probably because I only learned them when I was older, but English swear words never sound quite as strong to me as the Spanish ones. I had great fun when I did a presentation at the university and used a clip from David Mamet's House of Games, where there's a fair deal of swearing. And I announced it with "I'm from the United States of kiss my ass"... It was well attended and enjoyed. That movie is fabulous for the dialogue alone, if you haven't watched it. And Joe Mantegna is perfect.
Oh, I recommend Gulliver's Travels.
And agree with you on Noel Coward. "Let's fall in love" cracks me up every time.

Unknown said...

1. Jack
2. wales
3libya
4. Onasis
5. Nixon

I have had all the surgeries I can safely have. At this point, another one would make me look perfect, but likely leave me legally blind. I also do exercises.

I want to see Star Trek Discovery but haven't yet. I don't eat eggs either.

Freda said...

1 Calico Jack
2 England
3 Libya
4 Onasis
5 Richard Nixon

Freda said...

Hello all Paul's quizzers. I must say I find some of quite hard. I had to back out of Eminin, as no nothing about him at all. Frank Sinatra more my style

Debbi said...

Not so much love as endure. :)

I saw your article. Keep at it. Keep writing. Keep blogging. :)

1. Jack
2. England
3. Libya
4. Aristotle Onassis
5. Richard Nixon, aka, "Tricky Dick" :)