Thursday 15 October 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 15-10-2020: Virgil … 

15th October, 2020.


Yes: I’ve got my nephew around, this afternoon.

And, to be frank?

I’m A Banana went down a storm, the last time he was here.


We’ll have to see what I can smuggle past him, this time.

Vanessa Carlton’s A Thousand Miles, currently ear worming it’s way through my head, probably won’t.


We’ll have to see if he goes for Star Wars!


~≈fi≈~
Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Trevor*, Olga†, Mum‡, Debbi^ and Edithª putting in their answers: with Trevor, Olga and Debbi scoring five out of five, Edith on one, and Mum on zero.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video

Q1) 15th October saw the birth of poet, Virgil.   In which year?

Q2) He was a poet from where: Ancient Rome, Ancient Greece or Ancient Egypt?

Q3) Virgil is his usual name in English.   What was it, in his native language?

Q4) What IS that language?

Q5) Finally … ?   Virgil’s Aeneid was about a hero called Aeneas. Aeneas was from which legendary city?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …

Q1) 14th October saw Chuck Yeager become the first person to break the Sound Barrier: go faster than the speed of sound.   14th October of which year?
A1) 1947.

Q2) He did this in which experimental plane?
A2) The Bell X-1.

Q3) A plane going faster than the speed of sound, than roughly 767 mph, is going at which M?
A3) Mach 1.   (Mach 1 is the speed of sound, under standard conditions.)

Q4) Any plane that breaks the sound barrier makes a sonic … what?
A4) Boom.

Q5) Finally … ?   What’s faster, under normal circumstances: the speed of light or the the speed of sound? 
Here’s a thought …
“Omnia fert aetas, animum quoque.”
“Time bears away all things, even our minds.”
From Book IX of Virgil’s Eclogues.
And a documentary …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s Teaser.

Have a good day.



*        It didn’t half pong, Trevor!   Oh, Radio Four’s In Our Time is on: today’s episode’s about Alan Turing, if you were interested.

†        It went well enough, Olga: they’re going to try and put me onto their Digital Inclusion Team.   Hopefully?   I’ll be able to do the ECDL course I’ve had my eye on for years … 

‡        Morning, Mum!

^        How IS the treatment going, Debbi?   I was wondering: I’d noticed your answers were getting shorter.   (Oh, Star Trek Discovery’s out at some point, today.)

ª        Your mum must have been quite someone, Edith!   (Remind me to try And find you on YouTube, Edith!)

4 comments:

trev-v said...

A1 70 BC
A2 Ancient Rome
A3 full name Publius Vergilius Maro or known as Virgil, Vergil, Virgilius, or Vergilius may also refer too.
A4 Latin
A5 Troy

Olga said...

Q1) 70 BC
Q2) Ancient Rome
Q3) Publius Vergilius Maro
Q4) Latin
Q5) Troy
It sounds good. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Here things are toughening up (restaurants closed, the long walks I was supposed to join over the weekend have been suspended...). I'm going to meet my other student this afternoon. She lives quite far away (good public transport), so I hope they don't start limiting mobility too strictly. We'll see what we get, but I know her mother told me she isn't very good at English and the people from the agency told me they've been supplying teachers to the family for a few years, and they keep changing teachers every year, in the hope, I guess, that it might help. Not very hopeful there.

Freda said...

1 806AD

2 Ancient Rome
3 Vergell
4 Latin
5 Athens

Debbi said...

Yeah. It's been a tough time, but I had a treatment today. It'll take a few weeks to kick in, assuming it does. These treatments tend to be specifically tailored to each patient, as well as a bit hit or miss. It's in the nature of dystonia, unfortunately.

1. 70 BC
2. Ancient Rome
3. Publius Vergilius Maro
4. Classical Latin
5. Troy