Monday 19 October 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 19-10-2020: Jonathan Swift

19th October, 2020.


Right … 

You’ve possibly worked out I get the occasion ear-worm.

The occasional ear-worm!

And, frankly?

I think passing them on is the only way to get rid of them.

You’re welcome to I’m A Banana.

As it’s been bounding around my head all morning!


~≈🤨≈~

As an extra thought … ?

You’ll have realised that I had a rough sleeper on my doorstep, at the end of September.

To cut a long story short*, my landlords fitted a plate over the lock of my building’s main door … which then got removed.

I’m still not happy about that.

I have managed to get in touch with the relevant wonk over at Clarion Housing.

He’ll be investigating … once he gets back from leave!

Personally?

I’m thinking ‘Sod the investigation: get someone to put the plate back!’

I’ll have to tell him that when he gets back … 

~≈😠≈~
Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga†, Mum‡, Trevor^, Debbiª and Edithº putting in their answers: with Olga, Trevor and Debbi scoring five out of five, Edith on three and Mum on two.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video

Q1)        19th October, 1745, saw the death of Anglo-Irish writer, Jonathan Swift.   He died at the age of 77: in which Irish city?

Q2)        Swift was born in 1667.   In which Irish city?

Q3)        Swift’s best known as a what: satirist, parodist or ventriloquist?

Q4)        Swift held a post at Saint Patrick’s Cathedral.   Which post: Bishop, Vicar or Dean?

Q5)        Finally?   His best know work, today?   Was Gulliver’swhat?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …

Q1)        The first all-women spacewalk took place on the International Space Station: on the 18th October of which year?
A1)        2019.

Q2)        18th October, 2013, saw Saudi Arabia refuse a seat on what: OPEC, the UN Security Council or the International Telecommunications Union?
A2)        The UN Security Council.

Q3)        18th October, 1867, saw the USA take possession of what?
A3)        Alaska.

Q4)        The town of Falmouth was destroyed by the Royal Navy: on 18th October, 1775.   The town is now which Maine city?
A4)        Portland.

Q5)        Finally … ?   The Father of Rock and Roll was born on 18th October, 1926.   He’s better known as which pioneering musician?
A5)        Chuck Berry.
Here’s a thought …
“Reason is a very light rider and easily shook off.”
Jonathan Swift, 30 November 1667 – 19 October 1745.
And a book …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser. Have a good day.




*        Which is another ear-worm: give it up for Spandau Ballet.


†        I think there’s different IQ scales, isn’t there, Olga?   As well as thing s like emotional intelligence, judgement, problem solving, and lord knows how many others: the Wikipedia entry seems extensive, for one that’s so short!   It mentions plant intelligence, too: I’m getting images of triffids!
Yes … the masts … !   (If there’s any Spanish swear words you want to share, feel free!)
I’ll have to be honest, I missed the Twitter blackout.   And I’m hearing all sorts about the great Facebook Debacle.   Trevor, bless him, was unaffected: a chap I’ve talked to on Twitter, thinks it was a problem with the form of Java Facebook was using.   Either way, it seems safely over, for now!
As for the locks … ?   We’re going to be waiting …
And it’s a pleasure, on the YouTube front: every little helps.
Either way, good luck with the student: she sounds like a challenge!


‡        Morning, Mum!   Say hello to Edith!   (It was Chuck Berry …)


^        That remind me, Trevor, I’ll have to see if AdBlockPlus is still available for Safari.   Facebook — when it’s visible! — isn’t actually too ad heavy.   But some of the other sites can be a pain.


ª        There’s a few of them, Debbi.   There’s dozens of Fathers of Science Fiction.   Three of them were Hugo Gernsback!   There was a problem with a cloning machine …

º        It’s there, somewhere, Edith!   (Eye tracking, as well?   You seem to cope well!   Oh, three out of five, yesterday, you’re doing well!)

5 comments:

trev-v said...

A1 Dublin
A2 Dublin
A3 satirist
A4 Dean
A5 Travels

How do you get into your boiled eggs? Do you cut off the small end or the big end first?
Only Swift could bring people to war over this question.

Olga said...

Q1) Dublin
Q2) Dublin
Q3) Satirist
Q4) Dean
Q5) Travels
I don't mind the Spandau Ballet (they were my favourite band of the time) song, but I'm a Banana... Would send me... yes, you know it. I have a lesson with that girl this afternoon (well, evening), so we shall see. We were talking about being or not being "mad about" something and I sent her to listen to/watch "Mad About the Boy". I wonder if she will have. If that song doesn't make her remember the expression, I'm not sure what will.
Swear words... Many. "Joder" (fuck) is an old favourite (not of mine), softer "mierda" (shit) and there are the typical genital-related ones ("cojones" (balls) "coño" (female version, but that might be challenging with the ñ). Of course, if you want to try a sentence, you could decide to shit on them "Me cago en..." I'm not sure that would make a very suitable topic for a video, but you've reminded me of Samuel L. Jackson teaching us to swear in 15 languages in exchange for clicking to vote (including in Catalan and Euskera):
https://www.thrillist.com/news/nation/samuel-l-jackson-swearing-lseson-twitter
I'm sure you'll have seen it.

Edith said...

1.Belfast
2. Belfast
3. Satirist
4. Vicar
5. Travels

Hi, Paul. I have amblyopia strabismus AKA lazy eye. Think Karen Black of Stepford Wives the original.

Freda said...

1 Dublin
2 Dublin
3 Satirist
4 Dean
5 Travels


Good Afternoon Everyone

Debbi said...

Well, not such a bad earworm, the second one. :)

1. Dublin
2. Dublin
3. satirist
4. Dean
5. Travels

I have the book Gulliver's Travels, but must confess, I've never read it. Have you?