Sunday 11 October 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 11th October, 2020.

11th October, 2020.


Right … 

It’s Sunday.

Which means I’m going to be a quiet day for me: that — at most — is going to involve me buying a loaf from a local shop.

Gosh, the excitement!

It also means mild annoyance.


At Blogger’s ever changing formatting.

As I started this post?

Hitting Return put one line between lines … 

Adding that screen shot?   Means I have to press Return twice, my preferred option.

Is there a way of changing that in the settings?

I don’t think I’ll find out!

~≈🤨≈~

By the way, did I ever mention a series called Children of The Stones?


ITV only did one series: one that’s stayed in the memory of anyone that saw it, all those years ago.

Let’s face it, that theme tune was hard to miss!

Well … 

It seems Radio 4’s done an audio version for BBC Sounds.

I might just have to check that out … 

~≈😐≈~
Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Trevor†, MumDebbi^ and David¹ putting in their answers: with Olga, Trevor and Debbi scoring five out of five, David scoring four and a half, and Mum on two.

Mum, David, you’ve got footnotes!

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video

Q1) 11th September, 1961, saw the birth of artist, TV presenter and musician, Neil Buchanan.   He’s recently denied being whom?

Q2) Bollywood star, Amitabh Bachchan, was born on 11th October, 1942.   This year saw him catch — and recover from — what?

Q3) Sean Patrick Flanery was born on 11th October, 1965.   He played Indiana Jones in what: Raiders of The Lost Ark, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade or The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles?

Q4) For many of the Jewish faith, 11th October is Simchat Torah.   The Festival marks finishing public readings of what?

Q5) Finally … ?   The Second Boer War started on 11th October, 1899.   In what’s now which country?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …

Q1) 10th October saw Fiji gain independence.   From where?
A1) The UK.

Q2) In which year?
A2) 1970.

Q3) What’s Fiji’s capital?
A3) Suva.

Q4) Fiji is in which ocean: the South Atlantic, North Atlantic or South Pacific?
A4) The South Pacific.

Q5) Finally … ?   Fiji is part of which Oceanic region: Polynesia, Micronesia or Melanesia?
Here’s a thought …
“I am not, I repeat, NOT a lesbian - even though I’d like to be one when I grow up.”
Dawn French, 11 October 1957.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser. Have a good day.





*        Well … that’s what the tester told me, Olga.   And, to be honest, the first attempt was half successful: there was plenty of blood, it just didn’t go into the syringe!   Quite what happened, I don’t know!   I do know I’ve donated blood in my time, although I don’t know how much damage that’s done to my veins.
From the very little I know about it, the Games business is a complicated one.   I think there’s still arguments about who created Monopoly: Charles Darrow, in the 1930s, or Lizzie Magie, in 1909.
I’m also aware the Richard Garfield managed to patent the collectible card game, when he created Magic: The Gatheringª.   If you and me make a football based game of the same type, he gets a royalty.   Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson didn’t manage to patent role playing games when they made Dungeons and Dragons.
Then you get video games … boy, do you get video games … !   There’s two different series of football games I know of: each of which has to license team uniforms, players likeness, league names, tournaments logos, rules of football … and that’s before you pay the programmers who designed the video game, and license the software to write the game, from the company that makes the console or computer.   And that’s before you start talking about any other video game!
How are you with Snap, Olga?!

†        Yeah, I managed to get that sorted, Trevor, once you pointed it out!   I was running out of Marmite, at breakfast!

‡        Hello, Mum!   I managed to lose yours, but I’ve reposted them!

^        There’s one actor in Layer Cake called Jamie Foreman, Debbi.   In case he’s familiar … ?   He cropped up as the father in an old David Tennant episode of Dr Who: The Idiot’s Lantern.
Lifestyle experts?   I have to admit, Debbi, I always feel odd about the word lifestyle: it just always seems a bit … um … odd.   Up there with the phrase reiki healer!
But, yeah: I know exactly what you mean: I’m always amazed about the various Terry Pratchett fans that crawl out of the woodwork!

ª        It’s a very different type of game to Top Trumps, Olga: just so you know!

º        Jamie usually ends up playing genuine gangsters, Debbi.   Which is mildly ironic: as Jamie’s father, Freddie Foreman, was a member of the Kray firm.

¹       Sorry about the half point, David: but the UK hasn’t bee Britain since 1801!   At any rate … ?   I’m assuming it was a decent Riesling?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

1. Banskey
2. covid-19
3.Young Indiana Jones Chronicles
4. Torah
5 Thailand




Olga said...

Q1) Banksy
Q2) COVID-19
Q3) The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles
Q4) The Torah
Q5) South Africa
Yep, complicated indeed. Funny you should mention Snap because I came across a suggestion in one of the English textbooks I have, to play something similar to snaps but with cards to do with grammar or vocabulary (for instance, you write up definitions in one card, and the vocabulary term in the other and people who spot them first, get points). The problem with many of those games is that they aren't too fun to play with only two people.
Oh, and thanks for the mention of the audio version. It might come in handy in the future, especially if I get advanced students thinking of taking exams, etc., as practice. I did come up with a way to use the phone as well for videos or audios (there are memory sticks now with both a USB-3.0 and C type connections, so if the phone has a USB-C port...) https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01EZ0X55C/)
Sorry about the ongoing headache with Blogger. I haven't used the block editor yet on WordPress but keep reading complaints from people who have, even those who have been using t for a while...

trev-v said...

A1 Banksy
A2 Covid-19
A3 The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles
A4 public readings of the Torah
A5 South Africa

What is it with female bus drivers employed by First Bus Essex and the big bus stop opposite Shenfield Station. I was almost missed again to day even thought I signalled in good time and finished up wafting my left arm up and down like a lunatic. The driver only just managed to stop and let me on.

Debbi said...

I know what you mean about the word "lifestyle". The novel I'm working on mocks the whole "lifestyle" thing a bit, I think. Not as brilliantly as Terry Pratchett, but we can't all be geniuses. :)

1. Banksy
2. COVID-19
3. The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles
4. the Torah
5. South Africa

Freda said...


1 Banksy
2 Covid 19
3 The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles
4 Torah
5 South Africa