Friday 16 October 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 16th October, 2020.

16th October, 2020.


I think we can safely say my nephew was over, yesterday.

A day which saw us playing silly online games: Stickman Hook went down well.

But, my lord, there’s a lot of pop up adverts, there.


If I never see another ad for Myla, the Magical Make-up pony, again, it’ll be too soon!

~≈◊≈~

In amongst the arguments?

Essex is now a Tier Two area: operating under tighter COVID 19 restrictions, in other words.

It doesn’t affect me: much.

But, lord: I’m glad I’ve been out of the hospitality trade for a while.

The pub game’s not having a good time, right now.

~≈◊≈~

At any rate?

I think I’m going to have to play you Amina’s Le Dernier Que A Parlé.

Purely and simply because the song that should have done that year’s Eurovision is:
  • Earworming its way through my head.
  • Gorgous.

~≈◊≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Trevor*, Olga†, Mum‡ and Debbi^ putting in their answers: with Trevor, Olga and Debbi scoring five out of five, and Mum on two.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video

Q1) 16th October, 1938, saw the birth of Nico (KNEE-co).   She appeared on which band’s debut albumª?

Q2) Joan Baez was arrested on 16th October, 1967.   During protests against what: racism, the Vietnam War or the Space Race?

Q3) 16th October, 1976, saw Rahima Banu named as the last person to be naturally infected with what?

Q4) 13th October, 1936, saw the birth of actor, Peter Bowles.   Who does he play, in the series, Victoria?   ()

Q5) Finally … ?   16th October, 2017, saw the UK hit by Storm … whom?

Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …

Q1) 15th October saw the birth of poet, Virgil.   In which year?

A1) 70BC.

Q2) He was a poet from where: Ancient Rome, Ancient Greece or Ancient Egypt?

A2) Ancient Rome.

Q3) Virgil is his usual name in English.   What was it, in his native language?

A3) Publius Vergilius Maro.

Q4) What IS that language?

A4) Classical Latin.

Q5) Finally … ?   Virgil’s Aeneid was about a hero called Aeneas.   Aeneas was from which legendary city? 

A5) Troy.

Here’s a thought …

“I have a habit of leaving places at the wrong time, just when something big may have happened for me.”

Nico, 16 October 1938 – 18 July 1988.

And a song

Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.



*        Morning, Trevor!   Yep, we knew about the names!

†        I hope that meeting went well, Olga!   I know what you mean about the restrictions, as well: Essex, London and York are now on Tier Two.   I don’t think much has changed for me, but it’s going to have an effect!   Either way, I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you.   (My Job Centre went well: we’re now back to phone meetings, though!   Cie La Vie!)

‡        Morning, Mum: the actual city was Troy …

^        I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you, Debbi!   Oh, I’m going to try watch episode one of Discovery, at some point.   I’ll try and let you know.   Oh, you’ll know Peter Bowles, from A, B And C: it’s amazing who turns up at Engardine’s soirees.


ª        One of the songs she sang on that LP?   Was All Tomorrow’s Parties: I preferred the Japan version, myself.

6 comments:

trev-v said...

A1 The Velvet Underground
A2 the Vietnam War
A3 Smallpox and it was 1975 not 1976
A4 Duke of Wellington
A5 Ophelia

Once again you try to fool us by using the wrong date. I wonder what I shall do with my extra freedoms today before we go up a level at midnight.



Olga said...

Q1) The Velvet Underground
Q2) The Vietnam War
Q3) Smallpox (Variola major) It seems it was 1975, though (according to Wikipedia and to the smallpox website).
Q4) The Duke of Wellington
Q5) Ophelia
Good to know things went well. The class was interesting. The girl seems to have been studying English forever (well, she is sixteen and has been studying English since she was 4 or so), so by now, her English should be much better. She understands spoken English reasonably well (although at her level I think she should be expected to be more familiar with certain expressions than she is), and she can make herself understood, but her written English and her grammar aren't up to scratch. They've just completed unit one at school and had a test, and she has failed it. She is supposed to be preparing for the Cambridge First Certificate. Her mother told me that students at that school were expected to have taken the exam last year and now be preparing for the Advanced level, but those who didn't do well in the mock exam weren't allowed to attempt the real exam. She seems eager and ready to put the work in, but I get the feeling that she works better with clear rules and regulations, and English isn't like that. We'll see where we get. (If they don't lock us indoors again).

Freda said...

1 The Beatles
2 Vietnam
3 TB
4 Duke of Wellington
5 Eric!





5 Eric
B

4

Edith Reuwer said...

1.Velvet Underground
2. Vietnam War
3.polio
4 Mark
5. Irene

Paul, my Twitter handle is also my Gmail address. You are welcome to look at the video of me singing. I had sung 2 other songs before and hadn't sung for an audience in 25 years. You are just about 3 years older than I am.

Debbi, I am with you in spirit.

Debbi said...

Great scene from The Prisoner. I remember the other guy from the time travel episode of The Avengers. That's where I first saw him. :)

1. The Velvet Underground
2. the Vietnam War
3. smallpox
4. the Duke of Wellington
5. Ophelia

I did mention on Twitter that we've been watching old (restored in animation) Doctor Who. Not quite the same, but still fun! :)

Debbi said...

Thanks, Edith! Hey, that's my comment up there. How did I get here? What day is it? :)

Trevor, you're priceless. ROFL!