Sunday 18 October 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 18th October, 2020

18th October, 2020.


I’m wondering what on Earth happened, there.

I’m online.

You can tell, can’t you?

I was online, yesterday, as well.

Except, and just on the desktop computers I use?

I couldn’t get through to Facebook, yesterday.


View this post on Instagram

Desktop version of Facebook's down

A post shared by Paul Nikolas Nak Downie (@mrcuddy2977) on


It’s back to normal, today, I should add.


Nope: I don’t know what happened, either!

~≈†≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?
Yesterday’s Teaser saw Trevor*, Olga†, Edith‡ and Debbi^ putting in their answers: with Trevor, Olga and Debbi scoring five out of five, and Edith on two.

The day also say Mumª looking in to say ‘Hello’ to every one.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video

Q1) The first all-women spacewalk took place on the International Space Station: on the 18th October of which year?

Q2) 18th October, 2013, saw Saudi Arabia refuse a seat on what: OPEC, the UN Security Council or the International Telecommunications Union?

Q3) 18th October, 1867, saw the USA take possession of what?

Q4) The town of Falmouth was destroyed by the Royal Navy: on 18th October, 1775.   The town is now which Maine city?

Q5) Finally … ?   The Father of Rock and Roll was born on 18th October, 1926. He’s better known as which pioneering musician?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …

Q1) 17th October saw the birth of rapper, Eminem.   He was born under which name?

Q2) In which year?
A2) 1972.

Q3) He released his debut album in 1996.   Apparently?   It only sold one thousand copies.   What was it called?

Q4) His second LP, The Slim Shady LP, was produced by the Bass Brothers, Eminem, himself, Mel-Man … and who else?
A4) Andre Romelle Young: better known as Dr Dre.

Q5) Finally … ?   Lose Yourself was a UK №.1 for Eminem in 2002.   It came from the soundtrack album for which film?
A5) 8 Mile.
Here’s a thought …
“Why should I receive a prize?   I know that I’m a genius!”
The ever modest Klaus Kinski, 18 October 1926 – 23 November 1991.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.



*        I love the sound of chainsaw in the morning, Trevor.   Well … I’m used to them: Brentwood Station still gets the occasional bit of work on the railway.
Oh, that’s a thought, Trevor, were you having Facebook issues?

†        The impression I got from the ex, Olga, is that Dyslexia’s an umbrella term: and a spectrum of disorders.   Not only would different sufferers have stronger or weaker cases — my ex had an IQ of around 130º, a reading age of about four, another friend had a reading age of roughly 11 — but there’s different versions of the disorder.   Some versions are caused by issues with the optic nerve, some are caused by issues with the relevant part of the brain.   I got the impression that the studies are … ongoing.   And that different sufferers need different support!   (I remember one regular at a game shop I worked in?   Was dyslexic … but mostly just needed tinted glasses.)
By the sounds of things?   The lessons she’s had are on a par with the German lessons I had as teenager: the language never took: bar the odd swear word!
And, yes: the door’s a serious mess!   Yes: I thought it’s a workman that moved it … but I also know how many of the neighbours lose their front door keys!
(Oh, your channel’s got an extra subscriber!)

‡        Cheers, Edith: those extra subscribers are always handy!   (Oh, Debbi mentioned you on yesterday’s post.)

^        The door, you mean, Debbi¹?   It’s awkward, certainly!   And I know what you mean about time shifted conversations: I’m thinking of the 11th Doctor!   (Oh, you’ve got an extra subscriber!)


ª        Hello, Mum!

º        Which I’m told is reasonably good.   (Norma had a reading age of four, an IQ of 130 … and a far better education than me: she was a qualified chef.)

¹        I do know one thing about this iMac, Debbi, Quicktime makes reasonably light work of trimming mp4s/m4vs.

6 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) 2019
Q2) The UN Security Council
Q3) Alaska
Q4) Portland
Q5) Chuck Berry
Yes, I know what you mean. 130 is definitely a good IQ, although, again, there's some dispute as to what that actually measures and how it might not be that great at picking up different kinds of intelligence. One wonders if something with such great variety can be placed under the same umbrella term (it's the problem with all classifications). I would assume that, as she is quite young and goes to a fairly well-known school they would have picked it up, but it is a religious school, and I've just read a comment saying that their language lessons could be much improved, so perhaps it is not all down to her. (Although she has had private lessons before). I'll see how she does, dig a bit to find out about the lessons and how she does in other subjects. I think it will be totally different to the other girl, who is pretty good at languages (and better than this one although much younger).
Weird the Facebook thing. I had a similar issue with Twitter, although I think it might have been down, 2 or 3 nights ago.
Oh, and the mast...
Here they changed the lock for a newer, safer one, and it seems we're forever having to call someone to check. Mind you, it's a big building and there are lots of people coming in and out.

Olga said...

Oh, and thanks for recommending my YouTube Channel. Not much movement there at the moment but always nice to have more followers. ♥

Freda said...

1 2019
2 UN Security Council
3 Texas
4 Plymouth
5 Bill Haley or James Brown?

trev-v said...

A1 2019
A2 UN Security Council
A3 Alaska
A4 Portland
A5 Chuck Berry born Charles Edward Anderson Berry


The chain saws were only there a couple of hours.
I do not have problems with Facebook on my Windows laptop but I do use a Firefox add on to keep it at the previous level and another add on to lock it in to the tab that it is in and to stop it mining information from other tabs. Also I use an Ad blocker to keep down the number of adverts on all tabs.


Debbi said...

Do you have any idea how many "Fathers of Rock N Roll" there are? I suspect you do! :)

1. 2019
2. the UN Security Council
3. Alaska
4. Portland
5. Chuck Berry

Edith said...

1. 2015
2 Un security council
3. Hawaii
4. Portland
5. Chuck Berry

Hello, Paul's Mum.

I'm still looking for Debbi's comment. My eye-tracking isn't the best.