Sunday 7 February 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 7th February, 2021.

7th February, 2021.


It’s officially the case: it’s looking nasty, out.

I too this photo, earlier.


When it was dark out … ?   It wasn’t doing what it is now.

Snowing.

Very lightly … but definitely snowing!

OK: I know Old Peculiar regulars, Edith and Debbi, are over in the States, and seeing MORE snow.

But it’s the first we’ve seen in this part of Essex, for a while!

~≈❄️≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Mum†, Trevor‡, Debbiª and Edithº putting in their answers: with Olga, Trevor, and Debbi on five out of five, Edith on three and Mum on one.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        Jean-Bertrand Aristide was sworn in, on 7th February, 1991.   As the first democratically elected President of where?

Q2)        7th February, 1812, saw the birth of Charles Dickens.   In which English county?

Q3)        7th February, 1904, saw a fire start: in which US city?

Q4)        7th February, 1102, saw the birth of Empress Matilda: one of two contenders in the Civil War called the Anarchy.   The Anarchy was a civil war, where: Ireland, England, Scotland or Wales?

Q5)        Finally … ?   7th February, 1955, saw the birth of actor, Miguel Ferrer. In which TV series did he play Agent Albert Rosenfeld?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        Going by graffiti in Pompeii, 6th February, AD60 is the first day in history where the day of the week is known.   What day, according to the graffiti, was the day: Sunday, Monday or Tuesday?
A1)        Sunday.

Q2)        In Latin, the name was what: dies Solis, dies Lunae or dies Martis?
A2)        Dies Solis.

Q3)        6th February, AD60 was the day of the week in Q1 and Q2: if we assume days started at sunset.   If we assume the day started at sunrise, 6th February, AD60 was a what: Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday?
A3)        Wednesday.   (Apparently? It ties into what’s called the planetary hours system)

Q4)        In Latin, the name of that latter day was what: dies Lunae, dies Martis or dies Mercurii?
A4)        Dies Mercurii.

Q5)        Finally … ?   A civil day is hour many hours long: twelve hours, twenty-four hours or thirty-six hours?
A5)        Twenty-four hours.
Here’s a thought … 
‘The civility which money will purchase, is rarely extended to those who have none.’
Our Parish, Charles Dickens, 7 February 1812 – 9 June 1870.
And an introduction to the head of Catering …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.





*        Oh, nice to know, Olga: the work sounds like it’s coming in!   How are the lessons going with the older chap?   And Anna?   Or have they been called off?   (Funny you mention Monday: that’s when I’m expecting to hear about the job.   I know one of my references has mailed her’s in.   She gave me a call, as she was having trouble downloading the form from the email!!   Honestly … iPads!)

†        Hello, Mum: I take it dinner’s snowed off?

‡        Oh, blimey, the Palladium, Trevor.   I get the impression that was a very good venue, acoustically speaking.   I know I used to work in the Dominium, many years ago: I could probably recite Barnum, backwards, by the end of it!   🎼🎶🎵♭Join the CIRCUS, like you wanted to … !🎶🎵
(I do know Debbi won’t go NEAR that coffeeshop, Trevor … !)

^        Well, according to the interview, Debbi?   Uncle Joe’s worried Donald’s going to open his mouth … 

ª        Oooh, cheers for that, Edith!   Did you hear Tony’s gone down with Alzheimer’s?   That’s a nasty disease: it killed my gran, and my favourite writer!
Oh, my word!   Guess what YouTube threw at me, next!   Karen had one of THE voices!

7 comments:

angelfrmcanada said...

Hi Paul! It's been awhile since I replied to your Teasers. I hope you're doing well and staying healthy. Robin aka angelfrmcanada
1. Haiti
2. Portsmouth Hampshire
3. Baltimore
4. England
5. Twin Peaks

Olga said...

Q1) Haiti
Q2) Hampshire
Q3) Baltimore, Maryland
Q4) England (and Normandy). It sounds like a bloody mess, but I guess any war (and “civil” wars perhaps even more than others) are a bloody mess, by definition.
Q5) Twin Peaks (Rosenfield, I think). I didn’t realise he had died a few years back, although that year I was moving around quite a bit.
Good luck for Monday. It sounds promising that they are checking references, although I know procedures might vary in different companies. Even so, I doubt they’d bother if they’d decided they were not interested at interview. Fingers crossed!
Anna is not doing too badly, although she had the MOCK exam much earlier than I had realised, and we don’t know when we’ll hear about that (I’m not too hopeful, but she was more optimistic about the other test she took). We are trying to work on her writing, but she doesn’t find it easy, to say the least. She also lacks vocabulary, but I’ve also realised her vocabulary, even in Catalan and Spanish, is not all that varied. I guess she needs to read more widely, but she seems to struggle to keep up with he studies (not only English) for what she and her mother were telling me, so I’m not sure she has enough time left for that.
Jordi, the older student, is very well organised but he finds it a bit difficult to get his head around how different English is (he speaks, Spanish, Catalan, and French), and finds the rules (or rather, the lack of rules in some cases) quite puzzling. But I’m trying to make him think a bit laterally and realise that what might seem logical to us is not necessarily so (just because we’re used to a set of rules, that does not make them better nor more rational or easier than others). I am trying to find different kinds of materials, to see if we can find a combination that works for him, and we’re using a book, because he feels reassured by having some structure to work from. We shall see.
It’s a totally different experience to teaching a class, that’s for sure. Although you always try to cater it to the person, it’s much more intense when you are with one person alone, and you cannot rely on group or pair activities to get things going. Still not many hours a week, but, realistically, I don’t think I’d manage to fit many more into my schedule, having to factor in the time to prepare the lessons, the time spent travelling to and fro the lessons, and also making sure I can give a hand to my mother when she needs it. I hope I can carry on volunteering at the radio, but it all depends on when the events take place.
Take care and wrap up warm.

trev-v said...

A1 Haiti
A2 Hampshire
A3 Baltimore
A4 England, and Normandy
A5 Twin Peaks

Anita and I plus Penny and I went to many London theatres which had good acoustics.
The Barbican and The South Bank complex .

Anita and I went to a small hall in West London :- The Royal Albert Hall. We never went for the Proms but I remember Glen Campbell play many Instruments there.

He brought the house down when he played Amazing Graces with him self on the bagpipes when the Pipe section of one of the Scottish regiments marched down the sides of the Orchestra and played along side him.

Here he is with out the Scottish pipers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUAiWDRh5tU


Freda said...

1 Haiti
2 Portsmouth
3 San Francisco
4 Wales
5 Twin Peaks

Debbi said...

Yeah, he hasn't exactly been the most discrete of politicians. Trump, that is. It's kind of miracle we've survived him. :)

1. Haiti
2. Hampshire
3. Baltimore (Wow! I had no idea!)
4. England
5. Twin Peaks

Edith said...

1.Hati
2. Brittan
3. Oakland
4. Wales
5. Ncis Los Angeles.


oh, paul I am so sorry. Yes, Mr. Bennet is ill. I don't know if you hug, but if you do ***HUG***.

Karen Carpenter was so talented, as is her brother Richard. Thank you for sharing the lovely song.

Freda said...

1 Tom Lehrer
2 Blue Velvet
3 1952
4 India
5 the Vice President