Tuesday 23 February 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 23rd February, 2021.

23rd February, 2021.


It’s officially the case … we had a power cut, over night.

How did I know?

Well, I’ve a CPAP machine, a Continuous Positive Air Pressure machine: that helps me breath while I’m asleep.

And a little light on the fire alarm, visible from my bedroom.

Subconsciously, I noticed both were off, woke up, noticed it was darker than usual … 

And checked.

My lights were off, the street lights were off, the electricity meter was off … 

And I had a text message on my phone — from the company that runs the electricity grid — to say so!

Things looked dark!

But, thankfully, not for long.

What happened?

I wish I knew.

~≈Ü≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Trevor*, Olga†, Mum‡, Debbi^ and Edithª putting in their answers: with Olga, Trevor and Debbi scoring five out of five, Edith on four and Mum on three.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        23rd February, 1981, saw an attempted coup take place: in which European country?

Q2)        23rd February marks the Emperor’s Birthday.   In which Asian nation: Japan, China or Vietnam?

Q3)        23rd February, 1983, saw the birth of actress, Emily Blunt.   Who did she play in Mary Poppins Returns?

Q4)        23rd February saw Werner Heisenberg write a letter to Wolfgang Pauli: explaining his famous Uncertainty Principle for the first time.   On 23rd February of which year: 1927, 1928 or 1929?

Q5)        Finally … ?   César Ritz was born on 23rd February, 1850.   He opened some famous whats: pubs, restaurants or hotels?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        22nd February, 1997, saw scientist announced the existence of Dolly.    Dolly was which S: a sheep, a sausage dog or a shrew?
A1)        Sheep.

Q2)        Dolly was also a clone.   In other words, made from a cell donated by a what: an adult, child or corpse?
A2)        In this particular case? An Adult: although I believe cells from child donors can also be used.

Q3)        Dolly was named after which singer?
A3)        Dolly Parton.   (The cells used to create Dolly were from the donor sheep’s mammaries.   I get the feeling the scientists who created Dolly were men …)

Q4)        Dolly was born in 1996.   Injaz, the first cloned camel, was born when: 2008, 2009 or 2010?
A4)        2009.

Q5)        Finally … ?   2001 saw the birth of CC: the world’s first cloned what?
A5)        Cat.
Here’s a thought … 
“Le client n’a jamais tort.”
“The customer is never wrong.”
César Ritz, 23 February 1850 – 24 October 1918.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        Zulus, Trevor?   I’ll try and avoid my Micheal Caine impersonation, then!   And quietly wonder if the singers you saw were the same ones that sang with the Art of Noise, a few years ago.
And, yes, I’m well out of the Warley Hill gig!
I’ll have to wait for my letter, I think.


†        Yep, I got the picture, Olga!   I see what you mean, there’s a lot of handholds!   It’s a squatter’s delight … !   Or possibly a freerunner’s delight!
At ANY rate?   Good luck for getting it secured!   And take an umbrella, if you go out, that should keep the paint off!


‡        I don’t think anyone know much about clones, Mum!

^        He’s definitely strange, Debbi, I know that!   
I’d imagine cloned cats are like cassette tapes: the clone will eight lives, the clone of the clone will have seven … you have to love signal degradation!

ª        No, you hadn’t, Edith: cheers.   I can forward it to my sister, in case it’s handy for Jude.   I know this, though, whoever made it used a Mac: those voices are familiar!   (I always set mine up to speak the time.   And a band called OMD used them in a song called Atomic Ranch!)


5 comments:

trev-v said...

A1 Spain
A2 Japan
A3 Mary Poppins
A4 1927
A5 Hotels


We did not have a power cut this side of town. I did get the email to provide the meter readings for my gas and electricity. I did that this morning and still have a little credit on my account. Scottish Power take from my bank account every month.

I am being a Luddite and refusing to have my meters converted to smart meters. I do get regular emails and texts from Scottish Power asking me to convert.


Olga said...

Q1) Spain (no comments. Well, OK, I can’t resist. There was announcement from the Royal House in Spain saying that Philip the 6th [the current King] was going to participate in a ceremony of some sort to “commemorate” the 40 years anniversary of the coup. Of course, somebody later apologised for the mistake in the wording, but Freud and slips of the tongue come to mind and not only my mind).
Q2) Japan
Q3) Mary Poppins
Q4) 1927
Q5) Hotels
Yep, an umbrella it's always handy. They have finished securing the facade now, but I'm not sure when they'll start the actual work, as we'll have to see what kinds of estimates we get. We had the maintenance company come to look at the water problem and yes, there is more work needed. How much that will cost and who will do it is anybody's guess. Let's hope they don't take long.

Freda said...

1 Bosnia
2 Japan
3 Mary Poppins
4 1929
5 Hotels

Edith said...

1. Poland
2. Japan
3.Mary Poppins
4. 1928
5.Hotels

I learn so much from you.

I am glad if that Video can help Jude.

https://youtu.be/oPaS9a0tcaE

Debbi said...

If I start imagining, I'll have to write it down. Eventually. Ack! :)

1. Spain
2. Japan
3. Mary Poppins
4. 1927
5. hotels

Did I ever mention that I considered writing sci-fi before I decided to write crime fiction? :) So why not both?