Wednesday 24 February 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 24th February, 2021.

24th February, 2021.


It’s official: when I recorded that video, there was birdsong.

Not that the microphone on my iMac could pick it up.

But there was birdsong.

There still is birdsong: I can hear it, right now, once the noise of passing cars dies down.

It’s nice to wake up to a dawn chorus … 

~≈🦚≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Trevor*, Olga†, Mum‡, Edith^ and Debbiª putting in their answers: with Olga, Trevor and Debbi scoring five out of five, and Edith and Mum on three.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        24th February, 2006, saw the death of Octavia E. Butler.   Her first novel, Patternmaster, was published in which year of the 1970s?

Q2)        24th February is Independence Day in Estonia.   Marking its independence from where: the Russian Empire, the USSR or the Russian Federation?

Q3)        The impeachment of the first US President to face the process, started on 24th February, 1868.   Who was that President?

Q4)        24th February is Dragobete.   Dragobete is a traditional holiday in which European country: Romania, Hungary or Bulgaria?

Q5)        Finally … ?   24th February, 1948, saw the birth pf actor, Dennis Waterman.   In which series did he play Gerry Standing: The Sweeney, Minder or New Tricks?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        23rd February, 1981, saw an attempted coup take place: in which European country?
A1)        Spain.

Q2)        23rd February marks the Emperor’s Birthday.   In which Asian nation: Japan, China or Vietnam?
A2)        Japan.

Q3)        23rd February, 1983, saw the birth of actress, Emily Blunt.   Who did she play in Mary Poppins Returns?
A3)        Mary Poppins.

Q4)        23rd February saw Werner Heisenberg write a letter to Wolfgang Pauli: explaining his famous Uncertainty Principle for the first time.   On 23rd February of which year: 1927, 1928 or 1929?
A4)        1927.

Q5)        Finally … ?   César Ritz was born on 23rd February, 1850.   He opened some famous whats: pubs, restaurants or hotels?
A5)        Hotels. (Cue the music …)
Here’s a thought … 
“A lot of people seem to believe in a big-daddy-God or a big-cop-God or a big-king-God.   They believe in a kind of superperson.   A few believe God is another word for nature.   And nature turns out to mean just about anything they happen not to understand or feel in control of.”
From Parable of the Sower, Chapter 2, by Octavia E. Butler, June 22, 1947 – February 24, 2006.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        You didn’t … ?   In that case, Trevor, I’d imagine the power cut was a problem with the local substation, then: it’s literally around the corner, behind the hotel.
You do … ?   I’m with SSE: and I’m on record as not wanting smart meter.   They made the point, when trying to convince me, that I could see what’s using gas.   I made the equally good counter point that I already knew: as I only had the gas boiler.   On top of that?   I believe the things have problems, if you change suppliers

†        It’s sounds, Olga, like Felip 6th isn’t the diplomat he father was!   Ahem!   I know Juan Carlos has fled the country: but always got the impression his TV broadcast help stop the coup.   I’ll just stand in the corner, Olga!
At any rate!   I’ll keep my fingers crossed on the works front!

‡        Hello, Mum!

^        Debbi says the same thing, Edith.   I can only tell you what I tell her: I’m stunned by what I find out!   It’s amazing what we learn!

ª        I’m saying nothing, Debbi!   :D   Hmmm … Did I ever mention role-playing games?   Some of the older ones BADLY need background worlds!

5 comments:

trev-v said...

A1 1976
A2 Russian Empire
A3 Andrew Johnson
A4 Romania
A5 New Tricks

Being surrounded by Trees and having bird seed feeders and a fatball feeder in the back garden I hear bird song all the time. On the way to the paper shop I often hear the honking sounds of Canada Geese as they fly over on their way to the pond on Shenfield common.

Olga said...

Q1) 1976
Q2) The Russian Empire
Q3) Andrew Johnson
Q4) Romania
Q5) New Tricks
They tend to call Juan Carlos I, "el campechano" something like "down-to-earth", "casual" in the way he talks to others, easygoing. The son is stiffer and seems less friendly and more formal... I think the father knew how good he had it with the democracy (I'm sure he wouldn't have got away with so much if he'd had certain people in charge, but...) Anyway...

Freda said...

1976
2 USSR
3 Richard Nixon
4 Hungary
5 New Tricks

Debbi said...

I can just imagine. I did hear about one role-playing game with an old-style private eye avatar. That sounds promising.

1. 1976
2. the Russian Empire
3. Andrew Johnson
4. Romania
5. New Tricks

BTW, I have a review coming up of Wicker Man. OMG! :) Creepy and ... whoa! :)

Esith said...

1.1975
2.The USSR
3. Jackson
4. Hungary
5. Minder