Saturday 13 February 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 13th February, 2021.

13th February, 2021.


It’s true: it IS a Saturday.

And one that’s still nippy.

And?   As I think I’ve already said?   I’m actually due a cold weather payment: covering the period from 6th February to the 12th.

Quite when that’s supposed to turn up?   I’m still not sure.   It’s be on the 24th of February, at the latest.

It would be nice if it was in the bank on Monday, though.

I could top up my gas meter, and get some shopping.

~≈💷≈~

Buffy The Vampire Slayer.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer … 

I have to admit, the show’s a personal favourite: and influential.

After all, it picks up the idea of a season arc from Babylon Five, and made it far more popular than the latter ever did.

But?   I, like other fans, am very aware that Charisma Carpenter made serious allegations against show runner, Josh Whedon: in the wake of equally serious allegations from the Justice League set.

More power to her: that statement’s a damning read.

Other members of the cast have followed.

Sarah Michelle Gellar, Buffy herself, said “While I am proud to have my name associated with Buffy Summers, I don’t want to be forever associated with the name Joss Whedon.”

Anthony Head (Rupert Giles) said he was examining his own memories of the time: saying “Admittedly, the first post by Charisma was when she was working on Angel, and I was long gone.   But there are other posts subsequently that are making me think, ‘How on earth did I not know this was going on?’”

The really serious comment?   Is from Michelle Trachtenberg, who played Dawn, Buffy’s sister.

Seemingly … ?   He wasn’t allowed to be in the same room as Trachtenberg … alone.

I think that one possibly needs testing in court.

I’ve seen nothing as yet, from Alyson Hannigan (Willow), Nicholas Brendon (’Xander) or David Boreanaz (Angel): all three played significant characters on the show.

Personally?

I think Buffy The Vampire Slayer is a fantastic show: one that’s still, still, very watchable: The Body is still the best individual television episode ever made.

The cast?   Could be, should be, and are extremely proud of what’s on screen.

Unfortunately?   It looks like the back stage environment was far nastier than it should have been.

And that’s sad to see.

~≈†≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Mum†, Edith‡, and Debbi^, putting in their answers: with Olga and Debbi scoring nine out of ten, Mum on six and Edith on four.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        Wallace Lane, Virginia Maxey and Mike Mikesell discovered a rock on 13th February, 1961.   A rock that apparently contained what: a tobacco tin, spark plug or battery?

Q2)        13th February, 1981, saw several streets in Louisville, Kentucky, destroyed in explosions.   From what: gas pipes, electricity cables or sewers?

Q3)        13th February, 2017, saw the assassination of Kim Jong-nam: at Kuala Lumpur International Airport.   Which dictator’s brother was he?

Q4)        13th February, 2001, saw the birth of Finnish sportsman, Kaapo Kakko.   He plays what for the New York Rangers: Rugby Union, Ice hockey or Association Football?

Q5)        Finally … ?   13th February is the feast of Saint Jordan of Saxony.   Saxony is in which European country?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        12th February saw the birth of Abraham Lincoln.   In which year?
A1)        1809.

Q2)        In which US state?
A2)        Kentucky.

Q3)        He was a member of the US House of Representatives.   In which year did his term start: 1847, 1848 or 1849?
A3)        1847.

Q4)        He represented which party, whilst a Representative: Republican, Democrat or Whig?
A4)        Whig: he joined the Republicans in 1854, after the Whigs collapsed.

Q5)        He ran for the US Presidency in which year: 1860, 1861 or 1862?
A5)        1860.

Q6)        Whilst campaigning, he spoke in favour of which right: the right to strike, the right of free speech or the freedom of religion?
A6)        The right to strike.   (I’m going to apologise, now, folks: Wikipedia’s altered the article.   At the time of writing, it said he campaigned for the right to strike, in his presidential campaign.)

Q7)        He was US President when the US Civil War started.   That War started in which year: 1861, 1862 or 1863?
A7)        1861.

Q8)        Who was Lincoln’s opposite number, as Confederate President?
A8)        Jefferson Davis.

Q9)        Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation — the order that freed US slaves — in which year of the Civil War?
A9)        1862.

Q10)        Finally?   Lincoln was assassinated in a theatre: by John Wilkes Booth.   In which year?
A10)        1865.
Here’s a thought … 
‘We are doomed to be forever hailing someone who has just gone around the corner and out of earshot.’
Simon Schama, born 13 February 1945.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.



*        I’ve seen something similar said, Olga, about the facial recognition software used by the Met.   If I recall, the firm that put it together used its staff to initial ‘train’ the software: which then had issues, as the firm had very few BAME staff members.   I do know Big Brother Watch is concerned about it, as well: have a look at p25 of this piece

†        Hello, Mum!

‡        That he was, Edith.   That reminds me, I’ll have to try and see some more of his films.   Oh, did you ever see V for Vendetta?   Someone’s animated V’s big introductory speech!


^        I couldn’t tell you, Debbi: I DO know the answers should have been ‘right to strike!’   (I’m going to have to re-read my copy of Hart’s, Debbi.   I’m still trying to work out whether exclamation points go inside or outside single quotes!   Argh!)

5 comments:

Olga said...

Q1 A spark plug
Q2) Sewers
Q3) North Korean dictator Kim Jong-Un
Q4) Ice hockey
Q5) Germany
I hadn't heard the allegations about Joss Whedon. I like a lot of his work (Buffy, also Firefly, but haven't followed much recently). It's always difficult to separate a person's creations from his or her actions. I'm afraid creative people are no better or worse than anybody else, but having power over others means they can do more harm (well, in some cases). And thanks for the document. Scary, indeed.

trev-v said...

A1 spark plug
A2 sewers
A3 Kim Jong-Un
A4 Ice hockey
A5 Germany


Yesterday I got to Question 6 and gave up. With the information online I could not find an answer and that left a 1 in 3 bet. In fact one source said that he did not make any speeches during the campaign but I did find a reference to a speech in New York but was still none the wiser.

Well from what I saw in Friday’s paper I will be paying more tax this next tax year. The tac free allowance is being frozen at £12,500 but because the state Pension will be going up I will have less of that left when the Inland Revenue calculate my 4 tax codes.





Freda said...

1 Spark plug
2 Sewers
3 Kim Jong Un
4 Ice Hockey
5 Germany

Debbi said...

I can appreciate your confusion about punctuation. I can never remember, either.

1. spark plug
2. sewers
3. Kim Jong-un
4. ice hockey or Ice Hockey :)
5. Germany

I'm reading this book called Good Investigations. It's a really fun mystery and very British! :)

Here's the (ugh) Amazon link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Good-Investigations-David-P-I-novel-ebook/dp/B0160LK18I/

I urge you to buy it online from Waterstones. :-D Heh heh heh!

Edith said...

1.spark plug
2. gas pipes
3 Kim Jung Un
4. NY Rangers
5. the UK

No, I have not seen V for vendetta.

It is sad when sets have an abusive atmosphere.