Friday 26 February 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 26-2-2021: Ban the Heretic!

26th February, 2021.



Did you read yesterday’s Teaser?

You’ll know I missed an appointment at Brentwood’s community hospital.

For blood tests.

I’ve managed — thanks to a cancellation — to re-book the appointment for today.

At 14:30, if you’re wondering.

I have managed to find out why — in part — I missed the appointment.

I’d written it down as 14:40 … when it was actually at 14:20 … 

Um … … 

~≈😳≈~

By the way, I’ve just quickly posted on a Facebook group I’m in: a couple of member have earned themselves suspensions, after ambiguously worded posts.

I’ve left a comment.

But also add a link to this piece.

Telling us that one group had a chat censored.

The word used is one with many meanings: yes, it’s an unflattering term for gay men.

But, in context?

It’s also a traditional meatball.

Personally?

I think Facebook needs to do a couple of things.

One?   Keep a dictionary around.

Two?   Remember that American English isn’t the only game in town*!

~≈✏️≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga†, Trevor‡, Mum^, and Debbiª putting in their answers: with Olga, Trevor and Debbi scoring five out of five, and Mum on three.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        26th February, 1616, saw the Roman Catholic Church ban a famous astronomer from teaching people that the Earth went around the what?

Q2)        Which astronomer did they ban?

Q3)        That astronomer was from which Italian city: Rome, Pisa or Naples?

Q4)        Which arm of the Church banned him: the Inquisition, the Holy See or the Curia?

Q5)        Finally … ?   The idea this astronomer presented was first presented by Aristarchus of Samos. Aristarchus was from what’s now which European country: Greece, Italy or Croatia?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        25th February is the national day of Kuwait.   What’s the capital of Kuwait?
A1)        Kuwait City.

Q2)        Kuwait’s main languages are versions of what: Chinese, English or Arabic?
A2)        Arabic.

Q3)        Kuwait’s currency is the Kuwaiti what: rouble, dinar or pound?
A3)        The Kuwaiti dinar.

Q4)        Roughly three-quarters of Kuwaiti’s people practise which religion: Christianity, Islam or Buddhism?
A4)        Islam.

Q5)        Finally … ?   Al Kuwait, Al Qadsia and Kazma are Kuwaiti what: cricket teams, football teams or snooker tournaments?
A5)        Football teams.
Here’s a quote from Wikipedia … 
“[The astronomer] began his telescopic observations in the later part of 1609, and by March 1610 was able to publish a small book, The Starry Messenger (Sidereus Nuncius), describing some of his discoveries.”
From the Wikipedia entry on the Affair.
And, given the astronomer’s name gets a mention? A clue


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.







*        I’ve looked up the word in the Merriam Webster online dictionary: it only has the one definition.

†        Yep, I got the blood test sorted, Olga: how on EARTH I missed that up, I don’t know!   And yes, parents and technology can be interesting.   He says … carefully!   Either way, I hope that doctors visit goes well!   Don’t make my mistake!   :D
And yes: apps can be handy!   My surgery’s site is … complicated!
(Oh, Sophia Loren’s on Desert Island Discs.)

‡        That’s an impressive site, Trevor!

^        Hello, Mum!   (Oh, Sophia Loren’s on Desert Island Discs.)

ª        Oh, it’s definitely Scotland, Debbi!   😄   And Edward Woodward’s Scottish accent wasn’t too bad.   The film’s definitely something: and always remind me of The Prisoner.
And yes: there’s sequels: but I get the impression they’re not stunning.
Sound like the trial could be interesting … !
Oh … I’ve got the DVD of Dick Spanner PI on the way: so you know.   Turn’s out Amazon’s also got The Secret Service, with Stanley Unwin.   He’s … um … odd … 
(Oh, Sophia Loren’s on Desert Island Discs.)


5 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) The Sun
Q2) Galileo Galilei
Q3) Pisa
Q4) The Inquisition (although these tribunals were developed by the Holy See, so I guess…)
Q5) Greece
Good news about the blood test. Your comment about Facebook banning a site reminded me of a review I read about a book by an author I follow, where the reviewer took issue with some of the language the characters used. The novel is set in the UK (in the future, although not very far off in the future, actually), and the writer replied that some of the terms she took issue with were commonly used in the UK, and the reviewer, who had given her novel 3 stars, reduced them to one star because of the author's comment. I've long decided that it is best never to reply to a review (yes, of course, thank a nice review, especially when people tag me into it, but in general I don't read them anyway), but this seemed particularly mean spirited, as the author only tried to explain, did not question the number of stars, and in fact, thanked the reviewer for taking the time.
(I don't check the comments on my reviews either, because depending on what you review people can get nasty, and, to be honest, I don't care. They can read them or not, and like them or not. I'm happy if they are useful or enjoyable to somebody and sorry if they aren't, but, I get nothing for writing them, so I don't have to respond to anybody, as far as I can see. One can try not to hurt anybody's feelings, but it seems to be getting almost impossible these days). Rant over.
Take care.

Freda said...

1 the sun
2 Niccolo Zucchi
3 Parma
4 The Holy SEE
5 Greece

trev-v said...

A1 Our local star Sol commonly called The Sun.
A2 Galileo di Vincenzo Bonaiuti de' Galilei
A3 Pisa
A4 Inquisition
A5 Greece


As it is Friday here is my picture of my favourite Fish and Chip shop. It is in Steveston in Richmond in Greater Vancouver.

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/104588431445751467545/album/AF1QipPgTy9Qj3fEZPDdaquaZeFswosO0zdTDNAU88Po/AF1QipNSpNza171HeoYup2F8jQIpzUlZiRu-wF4xjv5N

Edith said...

1 The sun
2 Galileo
3 Pisa
4. Holy See
5. Greece


Debbi said...

I didn't even notice Woodward's accent. Which is to say, I didn't need close captions to understand him. :) Unlike David Tennant in Broadchurch! Hoo boy. :)

I never thought about comparing it to The Prisoner. Interesting! :)

1. the sun
2. Galileo
3. Pisa
4. the Curia
5. Greece

FWIW, nothing quite tops The Prisoner! :)

Oh, and Breaker Morant really is a great, great movie.

And, yay, Ingrid Pitt! :) I just loved her in Where Eagles Dare.