Thursday 18 February 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 18th February, 2021.

18th February, 2021.


Right … remember I had an optician’s appointment, a couple of weeks ago?

I’ve got new spectacles: and getting another pair, next week.

As a result of the test, though?   My optometrist I had what she called a dilution test: just to check inside my eyes.

That’s my appointment, today.

And also why I’ve got the sunglasses: things have a tendency to be blindingly bright!

~≈🕶≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Trevor*, Olga†, Mum‡, Debbi^ and Edithª putting in their answers: with Trevor, Olga and Debbi scoring five out of five, Mum on four and Edith on one.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 


Q1)        18th February, 1931, saw the birth of author, Toni Morrison.   Her first novel, The Bluest Eye, was published in which year of the 1970s?

Q2)        The original Church of Scientology was founded on 18th February, 1954: by writer, L. Ron Hubbard.   In which West Coast US city?

Q3)        Paddington and Victoria stations were bombed: on the morning of 18th February, 1991.   By whom: the Provisional IRA, al Qaeda or the Michigan Militia?

Q4)        18th February, 2021, is Konudagur: or Wife’s Day.   In which Island nation: Greenland, Iceland or Malta?

Q5)        Finally … ?   18th February, 2013, saw fifty million dollars worth of diamonds stolen from where: Heathrow airport, Brussels airport or LaGuardia airport?

Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 


Q1)        17th February, 1942, saw the birth of Huey P. Newton.   Newton was one of the founders of which black American activist group?
A1)        The Black Panther Party.

Q2)        17th February, 1978, saw the birth of actor, Rory Kinnear.   In which BBC comedy series does he play Michael Baker?
A2)        Count Arthur Strong¹.   (Which is very worth watching: especially when soup’s involved.)

Q3)        17th February, 1934, saw the birth of actor and comedian, Barry Humphries.   He — and alter ego, Dame Edna Everage — are from which English speaking country?
A3)        Australia.

Q4)        17th February, 1933, saw the first publication of Newsweek magazine.   The magazine is still published: and headquartered in which US city: Washing DC, New York or Seattle?
A4)        New York.

Q5)        Finally … ?   17th February is the feast day of Saint Constabilis.   He’s the patron of whom: soldiers, sailors or spies?
A5)        Sailors.

Here’s a thought … 

“You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge.”
Dr Dre, born February 18, 1965.

And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.





*        I think I can manage crispy bacon, Trevor.   Hmmm … North America usually goes for streaky, doesn’t it … ?   (I think I’ve covered Green Peace …)

†        I always wonder about that, myself, Olga.   I get a few floating across my email inbox: and put in on them on the basis that an employer would be getting a lot of customer services experience … cheaply … 

‡        Hello, Mum!

^        Phew!   I’m glad to hear it, Debbi!   (I’ll try and save you some!   I think I’ve excelled myself: and got it thickened, correctly!)

ª        That he was, Edith, that he was!   It’s just a shame he died so young!   As for Devine’s version … he wasn’t the best singer, but he could knock out an interesting tune!


¹        You can’t beat Count Arthur Strong!


4 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) 1970 (She’s a big favourite of mine).
Q2) Los Angeles
Q3) The Provisional IRA
Q4) Iceland
Q5) Brussels airport
I hope the test goes well today. Oh, by the way, Anna didn't do badly at all in her exam. (That is the unit exam, rather than the mock. I think those grades might take a while to get back). 6.8. For somebody whose marks were around 4 in October, it's an improvement. She could probably do even better if she could dedicate more time to it, but she struggles to try to keep up with all her subjects, so I guess it's a good result. (She's definitely improved).

trev-v said...

A1 1970
A2 Los Angeles
A3 Provisional IRA
A4 Iceland
A5 Brussels airport

There is nothing like walking about wearing dark sun glasses on a dull grey day. I used to have annual retinal scanning done by a nurse in one of the local surgeries. How ever after the operation to reattach the retina in my left eye I now have an annual Slit lamp examination. I have an appointment at Brentwood Community Hospital on Friday 5th March at 14.20. It still involves drops in ones eyes and you advised to bring your sunglasses and not drive for a number of hours. Not a problem as I use the Buses.


Freda said...

1 1973
2 San Francisco
3 Provisional IRA
4 Iceland
5 Heathrow

Debbi said...

He's fine with adding things to sauce, as long as they're not mushrooms. :)

1. 1970
2. Los Angeles
3. the Provisional IRA
4. Iceland
5. Brussels airport