Sunday 28 February 2010

The Daily Teaser …

Is it just me, or is it throwing it down, out there?

It is, isn’t it?

I think I can safely say it’s raining … !

Just when Allison and I were thinking it’d be nice to have a day in the park … !

Any way, let’s move on, shall we?

Yes, let’s … !

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Trevor, Andrea, and Andy all going head to head and getting 6 out of 6. With the Lady, herself — Andrea — getting the Official First-In-Clap!

And all three of our contestants putting in some superb quotes: Andy, bless him, put in a very relevant one from Dr Robert Oppenheimer, Trevor putting in some good ’uns from Johnny Carson and Wilson Mizner, and Andrea putting in a couple from both the late Spike Milligan, and Lord Byron.

Actually, Andrea, that last one from Byron definitely caught my eye: I’m wondering if anyone’s shown it to the likes of Max Clifford

Anyway, let’s get moving on, shell we?

Here’s today’s questions, along with the ‘How To’ and License

Q1) 28th February, 1975, saw a train crash: but at which London Tube station?

Q2) 26 years later, 28th February, 2001, saw a high-speed train crash caused by a car crashing into a train: near which Yorkshire town?

Q3) 28th February, 1986, saw the assassination of Olof Palme: when killed, he was the Prime Minister of which European country?

Q4) 28th February, 1784, saw John Wesley charter which denomination of church?

Q5) And finally … 28th February, 1991, saw the end of which war?

And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …

Q1) 27th February, 1847, saw the birth of which noted English actress … ?
A1) Dame Ellen Terry.

Q2) 27th February, 2002, saw the death of which noted Irish comedian?
A2) Sir Terence Alan Patrick Seán ‘Spike’ Milligan.

Q3) More to the point, the Gælic phrase on that comedian’s gravestone translates into which English phrase?
A3) “I TOLD you I was ill”.

Q4) 27th February, 1812, saw who give their first address to the House Of Lords?
A4) George Gordon Byron, the 6th Baron Byron. Yeah, that Lord Byron. (And, no, Andrea, I don’t need the complete Childe Harold … )

Q5) 27th February, 1973, saw Wounded Knee, in South Dakota, being occupied by protestors from which organisation?
A5) AIM: The American Indian Movement.

Q6) And finally, another birthday … 27th February, 1921, saw the birth of Theodore Van Kirk, the navigator for which notorious US bomber plane?
A6) The Enola Gay.

Enjoy those, everyone, I’ll catch you later … !








5 comments:

Andy Shirling said...

Q1) Moorgate
Q2) Selby
Q3) Sweden
Q4) Methodist
Q5) Gulf War (Allegedly)
"My friends call me Ben, strangers call me Mr. Siegel, and guys I don't like call me Bugsy, but not to my face." Benjamin "Bugsy" Siegel b.February 28, 1906

Anonymous said...

Q1 Moorgate Station on the Northern Line
Q2 Selby
Q3 Sweden
Q4 Methodist Church or more correctly Wesleyanism or Wesleyan theology
Q5 First Gulf War

Trevor

The first step to getting the things you want out of life is this: Decide what you want. Ben Stein

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about Oscar Wilde

The unexamined life is not worth living. Socrates

Anonymous said...

Which Country has a 30th February in 1712?


Trevor

Nik Nak said...

Oh, EASY: Sweden … !

Like I’m not gonna find that one out, Trevor … !

Anonymous said...

Q1. Moorgate Station
Q2. Selby
Q3. Sweden
Q4. Methodist Church
Q5. The First Gulf War

Andrea @pinkylips29

Nice Wilde quote Trevor! He's my favorite!

“I can stand brute force, but brute reason is quite unbearable. There is something unfair about its use. It is hitting below the intellect.”
~Oscar Wilde quotes

“I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter.”
~Winston Churchill