Tuesday 23 February 2010

Keyboards, keyboards, keyboards ...


You know, I’m going to have to rearrange the table and chair in the hallway, I really am.

Or I’m going to have to go on a diet.

I think …

At any rate, whilst Café World’s quietly going ker-CHING* in the background, I’m happily tip-tapping away in the hallway, on the G3 iMac: the one I installed the Dapper Drake version of Xubuntu, a little while back?

The one that needs the new PRAM battery on it, but which has a clock that works fine, so long as it’s hooked up to the net … ?

Yeah, that one …

I’ve got to admit, over the weekend, we had a bit of a …
Teacup … incident.

Yes, a Teacup incident.

That’s the phrase ...

A Teacup Incident ...

Remember last
Movie Night?

I had a bit of a crowd in, and, while most of us were happily nattering, Sarah, bless ’er little purple hairdo, borrowed the iMac, to check her Facebook and email accounts.

I took her over a cuppa.

Plonked it down on the table.

And promptly it knocked over, all over the original Keyboard that came with the iMac.

Where could I have put my face … ?

I’m not too sure, actually!

But I am sure of what happened when the old keyboard dried out.

I got a hideous beeeeeeeeep noise, as the jammed letter ‘a’ on the iMac’s keyboard repeatedly entered the letter ‘a’ as my user name …

Mmmm …

Not good …

You can imagine how I felt, can’t you?

I had a knackered keyboard, and, as a result, a vintage
iMac I couldn’t make use of .

Until, bless her, Allison came to the proverbial rescue!

We were up town, today, organising some paperwork for her - which is a
whole other, very time consuming story - and Allison decided to treat me to an early birthday present. And bought me a cheap and cheerful, generic Texet computer keyboard, at the Brentwood branch of Wilkinson’s.

For which she got a suitable effusive ‘Thank You’!

Now, while it’s not an exact match^, I really can’t complain.

After all, the woman I love decided I should have something to say ‘Ta’ for helping her out.





















* On the
Mac Mini, running Snow Leopard

^ After all, most PC keyboards have no
USB ports to plug a mouse, or USB thumb drives, or dongles. But I’m not complaining too much!

No comments: