Wednesday, 8 December 2010

The Daily Teaser …

You know, it’s had to believe it’s thirty years since the death of John Lennon.

Really, it is.

I was never a huge fan of the guy, and have to confess, that’s possibly a bad thing.

After all, he’d only just started — after helping Yoko bring up Sean, his youngest son — to produce more new music.

What more can one say … ?

Apart from state that this was a big tragedy … for everyone …

Lets move on, shall we … ?

«•»

Yesterday’s Teaser saw both Kaiju and Trevor putting in their answers, it also saw Kaiju putting in his answers first — I think the Official Clap, the long since unmentioned Round of Applause for Getting in First is due a mention — and Trevor quoting Marcus Tullius Cicero.

Lets see how they — and you — do with today’s questions: here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video

Q1) 8th December, 1980, saw the death of former Beatle, John Lennon: what was the name of the album he and Yoko Ono had released, just prior to his death … ?


Q2) More to the point, which of his singles from that album was a UK and US hit, after his death … ?

Q3) 8th December is — in the Roman Catholic Church — the Feast of the Immaculate Conception. Name any of the 21 countries — apart from the catholic cantons of Switzerland, that would just complicate things — where it’s a Public Holiday.

Q4) 8th December, 2008, saw Kirsty Williams become the first woman elected as a party leader in Wales: of which party was she elected leader?

Q5) And finally … 8th of December, 2008, saw the death of animator, Oliver Postgate: which of his creations was described as “an old, saggy cloth cat, baggy, and a bit loose at the seams” … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 7th December, 1776, saw who make an attempt to enter the US military … ?

A1) Marie-Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier: more simply known as the Marquis de La Fayette.

Q2) 7th December, 1787, saw Delaware become the first US state to ratify the US constitution: the English nobleman Delaware was named after — Thomas West, 3rd Baron De La Warr — had been the Governor of which other US state … ?
A2) Virginia.

Q3) 7th December, 1955, saw who step down as leader of the Labour Party … ?
A3) Clement Attlee.

Q4) 7th December, 1974, saw the birth of Canadian singer, Nicole Appleton: with which girl band did she, and her older sister, Natalie, find fame … ?
A4) All Saints.

Q5) And finally … 7th December, 1817, saw the death of William Bligh, captain of the HMS Bounty, at the time of the famous mutiny: which RN rank had he reached at the time of his death … ?
A5) Vice-admiral.
Enjoy those, everyone.

And given the day … ?

I’ll leave you with these …




«•»

4 comments:

  1. Q1 Double Fantasy
    Q2 "(Just Like) Starting Over"
    Q3 Andorra, Argentina,Austria,Chile,Colombia,…..,Vatican City Venezuela (just to name a few)
    Q4 Welsh Liberal Democrats
    Q5 Bagpuss

    Trevor

    “A leader who doesn't hesitate before he sends his nation into battle is not fit to be a leader.”

    “Pessimism is a luxury that a Jew can never allow himself.”

    “The Soviet government is the most realistic regime in the world - no ideals.”

    “To be or not to be is not a question of compromise. Either you be or you don't be.”

    “We have always said that in our war with the Arabs we had a secret weapon - no alternative.”

    “Whether women are better than men I cannot say - but I can say they are certainly no worse.”

    “Old age is like a plane flying through a storm. Once you're aboard, there's nothing you can do.”


    Quotes by Golda Meir (Prime Minister of Israel) died 8th December 1978

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Double Fantasy
    2. * "(Just Like) Starting Over" (John Lennon, 24 October 1980, #1 UK, #1 U.S.)
    * "Woman" (John Lennon, 16 January 1981, #1 UK, #2 U.S.) << Posthumous
    * "Walking on Thin Ice" (Yoko Ono, 20 February 1981, #35 UK, #58 U.S.)
    * "Watching the Wheels" (John Lennon, 27 March 1981, #30 UK, #10 U.S.)
    3. Guam
    4. Liberal Democrat
    5. Bagpuss

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. I'd love to, but I can't get out of bed
    2. Just like starting over
    3. OMG. What a horrible name for a holiday. It sounds like some sort of cannibal event. Sigh....Okay, anything that involves feasting AND immaculate stuff must be in Central and South America. So I'd say pick any of those - i.e.,Brazil. Although, if it were the same day as a soccer/football game, they would combine the two
    4. Save the Wales. Ahahaaaaa
    5. I have no idea; your underclothes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alexandra, please: my undies are no-bodies concern except my own … !

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.