Sunday, 13 November 2011

Merlin Episode 7 Series 4: The Secret Sharer.


Hmmm …



You know, there’s time’s when I’ll happily admit to loving an episode of Merlin.



There’s times when I’ve not been impressed.


Although, yes, you’re right: those are rarer that rocking horse manure.

And there’s times I’m …

Sort of in-between.

I’ll happily admit that last night’s episode of of Merlin — episode 7, The Secret Sharer — was one that left me in-between.

Hmmm …

Maybe that’s not tha phrase, maybe.

In a move to undermine Arthur’s faith in those closest to him, The Secret Sharer sees Morgana and Agravain managing to abduct Gaius.

Abduct Gaius …

And hire the mysterious Catha^ warrior-priest, Alator — played by Gary Lewis, I should add — to put Gaius to the torture.

She is convinced — rightly — that Gaius and only Gaius knows the real identity of Emris.

And is determined to find out …

‹‹·››

Now, I was saying that I wasn’t impressed with The Secret Sharer?

True, I’m not necessarily stunned with the story, per se, although the writing — The Secret Sharer was penned by Julien Lloyd, who does a good job, with his usual dark touch* — is up to it’s usual good standard.

What did keep my attention … ?

Is the fact that The Secret Sharer isn’t a huge contribution to the series 4 story-arc, but does build nicely on the Merlin regulars, and feature some good performances from it’s central cast: Bradley James, Colin Morgan and Angel Coulby and Katie McGrath†.

Actually … ?

I’ve a feeling Merlin series 4 is where Bradley James — slowly becoming more the King we know Arthur will be — will seriously start to shine.

In that sense … ?

I think The Secret Sharer can only help.

‹‹Ω››


























* Which I have to confess I do like.

There’s one moment that has — hopefully — unintentional overtones. At one stage of the episode, Gaius is tied to a bench-type table: Morgana leans over him and says “It’s time for the fun to begin, ” … RIGHT into camera. I’m … going to go off and perve … …

^ Following on from last week’s Fomori references … ? This week, we have medieval French heretics!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.