Sunday 27 November 2011

The Daily Teaser — 27-11-2011

Hmmm …

That’s something …

I’ve got to confess, I’ve got Radio 4 on, in the background, this morning: I’m feeling civilised, frankly, and Radio 4’s usually very civilised of a Sunday.

But they’ve just had the news on: and from what they’ve said?

It sounds like Britain’s Ministry of Defense knew more about the faults of the Snatch Landrover than they’re letting on.

Which could prove embarrassing for someone.

After all, the Snatch has been implicated in a death or two in Afghanistan.

Let’s get moving on, shall we … ?

‹‹•››

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi and Mr Strict putting in their answers: with Debbi* bagging 5 out of 5, and Mr Sª bagging 4.

Let’s see how they — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we? Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video

Q1) 27th November, 176AD, saw Roman Emperor, Marcus Aurelius give his son which rank … ?

Q2) More to the point, which son … ?

Q3) 27th November, 2005, saw the first performance of what kind of transplant, in Amiens, France … ?

Q4) 27th November, 1978, saw the founding of the militant PKK: or Kurdish Workers Party. In which country … ?

Q5) 27th November, 1940, saw the birth of Bruce Lee: what name was he born under … ?

Q6) And finally … 27th November, 1942, saw the birth of Jimi Hendrix: what was his first UK hit … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 26th November, 1922, saw Howard Carter enter the tomb of King Tut-Ankh-Amon: where in Egypt was Tut-Ankh-Amon’s tomb … ?
A1) The Valley of the Kings.

Q2) More to the point, who sponsored Carter’s excavation’s of the tomb … ?
A2) George Edward Stanhope Molyneux Herbert: better known as the 5th Earl of Carnarvon.

Q3) 26th November, 1863, saw which US president announced the formal celebration of Thanksgiving … ?
A3) President Abraham Lincoln.

Q4) 26th November, 1992, saw the British PM announce in Parliament that the Queen would become the first British Monarch to be taxed since the 1930s: which British PM announced this… ?
A4) John Major.

Q5) And finally … 26th November, 1998, saw Tony Blair become the first British PM to address the Parliament of where … ?
A5) The Republic of Ireland.
Enjoy those, everyone: I’ll catch you later.

After I’ve left you with a few wise words from birthday boy, Mr Skinner …











* Blue Grass, Debbi … ? Yes, I know it’s a style of music native to Kentucky … But I’ve ALWAY’S wondered about it …

ª The Egypt Exploration Society, Derek … ? I THINK that’s just got you promoted to Big Beast!

2 comments:

Debbi said...

The line about blue grass was from the cartoon, Yellow Submarine. Maybe you're too young to remember? Or the line might be a bit obscure.

Anyhow, here I go ...

1. Imperator
2. Commodus
3. partial face transplant
4. Turkey
5. Lee Jun Fan
6. Hey Joe

Guess what? That colloquium ended up on YouTube. I'll post it as soon as I can manage. Oi! :)

Okay, it's not that bad. I'm just not used to seeing myself on camera. At all.

Nik Nak said...

Oh, I know it, Debbi, I’m not THAT young: but I only through TV repeats, when I was about 12.

So it’s been YEARS, since I’ve seen it: probably be worth looking it up!

And you’re now on YouTube … ?

What was the name of that colloquium, again … ? :D