Thursday, 11 October 2012

The Daily Teaser — 11-10-2012

“Willkommen, bienvenue, welcome … !”

Says I.

Or sings I, I should say!   I have to admit, I was actually writing up one of November’s Weekly Teasers for the Gazette, yesterday.

Would you believe it, the day concerned is World Hello Day … ?

Well, it is.

And it’s left me, if no-one else thinking of a tune from Cabaret.

Here … 

Let’s give Joel Grey a whirl, before we move on … 


~~~~~~

Yesterday’s Teaser saw both Adrence and Debbiº chasing the proverbial Teaser Trophy* by putting in their answers.   Along with mentioning how nice the ’Net was, it also saw Debbi bagging 5 out of 5, and Adrence — creator of the Teaser Trophy and, and the Old Peculiar’s easternmost reader — bagging 1!

Let’s see how they — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?   Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video … 

Q1) 11th October, 1929, saw department store, JC Penney open its branch in Milford, Delaware: marking the store’s spread, nationwide.   How many US states were there, in 1929 … ?
Q2) 11th October, 1962, saw the convening of the Second Vatican Council: by which Pope … ?
Q3) 11th October, 1852, saw the founding of Australia’s oldest university: in which city is that university … ?
Q4) 11th October, 1976, saw the arrest of the Gang of Four: the four people, organising an attempted coup in which country … ?
Q5) Name one of the Gang … 
Q6) And finally … 11th November, 1982, saw the raising of Henry 8th’s flagship, the Mary Rose.   The ship originally sank, off the coast of which isle … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 10th October is what’s called Double Ten Day, the national Day of where: the Republic of China, the People’s Republic of China or the Reorganized National Government of China … ?
A1) The Republic of China.
Q2) 10th october, 1975, saw Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton remarry: after divorcing how many months earlier … ?
A2) 16.
Q3) 10th October, 1971, saw London Bridge reopened: after being transported to which US state?
A3) Arizona.
Q4) 10th October, 1967, saw the Outer Space Treaty come into force.   How many nation-states are party to that treaty: 100, 120 or 150 … ?
A4) 100.
Q5) And finally … 10th October, 1980, saw who say “The Lady’s not for turning” … ?
A5) Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher.
Enjoy those, everyone.

I’ll leave you with a tune from Tom Zé: it’s his birthday, today … 


And this quote from Eleanor Roosevelt …
“Happiness is not a goal, it is a by-product.”
Eleanor Roosevelt October 11, 1884 – November 7, 1962
























*        I think both regular readers, @adrence and @derestrict came up with the phrase: which is cool with me!   (It sort of turns me into the Isle Of Mann TT Races … )

º        Oooh, but it’s tempting to agree with you, Debbi … But I’m STILL eyeballing that jam-jar … Oh, AND the NeXT  computer Tim Berners-Lee used to design the Web.   (Possibly the only computer to feature in an Olympic opening ceremony … )

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That was an impressive show Sir Tim put on at the opening ceremonies. :)

    Tim Berners-Lee is awesome! :)

    1. 48
    2. Pope John XXIII
    3. Sydney
    4. China
    5. Jiang Qing, Zhang Chunqiao, Yao Wenyuan, and Wang Hongwen
    6. the Isle of Wight

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.