Friday, 18 January 2013

Kill List: Cult is the word …

18th January, 2013.

You know, it’s not THAT often I say this, but I might — MIGHT, I stress — have to rearrange the way I rate movies.

Please notice I say MIGHT, I hasten to add,

Equally, I might not: I’m a lazy little so and so, sometimes.

The reason I mention that … ?

Is the film I’ve just watched, tonight.

It’s either punching WAY above the weight one expects its to.

Or it’s … 

No, scrub that, Paul: Kill List is out and out punching above its weight.   Even if it’s the Brit-flick equivalent of an malnourished bantamweight …

~≈®≈~

Directed by Ben Wheatley, and written by both him and Amy Jump, Kill List sees Neil Maskell as Jay: a former soldier who, since leaving the army, has become a contract killer.

What’s more, Jay’s become a contract killer who’s marriage — to ’Shel, played by MyAnna Buring — has hit the proverbial rocks.   Until old friend and fellow hitman, Gal — Michael Smiley — let’s Jay know that he’s found them an easy little number.

Three killings: with a comfortably big pay-off.

It’s only when they meet the (never-named) client, who insists on slicing open his own — and Jay’s — palms, to seal the deal in blood, the pair realise the deal may well be slightly odder than their usual jobs … 

~≈®≈~

Now, I said about possibly re-arranging my ratings?

Actually, I very much doubt I will: but I always tell my friends who say “Why not give Film X a 5 star — or whatever — rating.”

I usually tell them: “If that’s what you want to give it, you’re welcome to: on your blog.”

However, I do — occasionally — come across films that are, like Kill List, seem to punch way above their weight.

And there’s only a few of them, I know that.   Pontypool is one: along with We Need To Talk About KevinAttack The Block and The Awakening are three others.

In what I think of as the Four Star club.

In other words, Kill List is a film that I feel is very good quality.   But whatever the quality, is one I feel you — you — should see for yourself.

I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with it …
Kill List   
★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.