Tuesday, 13 August 2013

The Daily Teaser — 13-8-2013: International Left-Handers Day

Hmmm … 

You know, I’m thinking it’s starting to go downhill.

Before you start assuming the worst … ?

I’m actually talking about the weather … !

July … ?   July was nice: which is possibly understating things.

It was nice to the point of boiling eggs on the pavement.   And now, in August … ?   In August, it’s nice … but freezing in comparison … !

Oy vey … !

At ANY rate … ?

At any rate, let’s get a shift on … before I turn into John Kettley … !

~≈Å≈~

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Oliver* — the Opinion Dalek, himself — putting in his answers: and begging six out of six.

Let’s see if we can persuade him — and you — to have a try at today’s Left-hander’s Day† quiz, shall we?

Here’as the questions, along with the ‘How To’, License and video … 

Q1) True or false: Billy the Kid was left-handed.
Q2) Which member of the Beatles plays a left-handed guitar … ?
Q3) Prince William is left-handed: what’s his title … ?
Q4) What — in Heraldry — is the meaning of the Baton Sinister, or Left Handed Bend … ?
Q5) Britain’s current Prime Minister is left-handed: what’s his name … ?
Q6) Brian Cowan and Bertie Ahearn are both left handed politicians: which country have they both been Prime Minister of … ?
Q7) Which member of Black Sabbath is — noticeably — left handed … ?
Q8) Which Ghostbusters cast member — and leftie — also, notably, plays harmonica … ?
Q9) Which left-handed, Manchester United player is the former captain of Arsenal … ?
Q10) Finally … which left-handed actor appeared in The Matrix, Apocalypse, Now and What’s Love Got To Do With It … ?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 12th August saw the death of Ian Fleming, creator of James Bond.   What was the name of the first James Bond novel … ?
A1) Casino Royale.
Q2) Bond is — famously — a member of Britain’s Secret Service: which is also known as what … ?
A2) MI6.   Also known as as SIS, or the Secret Intelligence Service.
Q3) Fleming, himself, on the other hand, served with which intelligence operation, during World War 2 … ?
A3) The Naval Intelligence Division.
Q4) What was the name of Fleming’s one children’s novel … ?
A4) Chitty Chitty Bang Ban.
Q5) Fleming’s Jamaican home has a James Bond movie named after it.   Which James Bond movie … ?
A5) Goldeneye.
Q6) And finally … What was the last James Bond novel to be published during Fleming’s lifetime … ?
A6) You Only Live Twice.
I’ll leave you with this thought from Tom Holt …
“Nobody took any notice. Even Jan Christian Duysberg had guessed that one back in the 1740's, and he had been thirty-four years old before he realised he was left-handed.”
from ‘Flying Dutch’, by Tom Holt
And with Crosscut Saw by notably left-handed bluesman, Albert King.


I’ll tell my fellow left-handers to enjoy the day.

And my right handed readers … ?   To hit their right hands with a ruler.

Just to get an idea … :D
















*        Cheers for joining in, Oliver: and thank you … ! :D

†        I’m left handed, myself: and, while I’ve had the experiences other have, do feel it’s important to highlight it.   After all, I grew up with my primary school teachers — to a man and woman — saying “Wouldn’t you find it easily doing it with your other hand … ?”, and leaving me very confused‡.

‡        I’ve also got distinct memories of Mrs Hall, my main primary school teacher, telling us kids that “Hold up your right hand: your right hand’s the hand you write with.”   And throwing some worried expressions in the direction of me and one or two other kids … 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.