Saturday, 3 August 2013

The Daily Teaser — 3-8-2013


There we go … It’s official.

I now have a New Fridge-Freezer.   Which means I can now officially not worry about de-frosting food, blown fuses, and what-have-you.

And I’ll tell you what, it’s tiny … !

Or, at least, tiny enough to make my kitchen like a lot bigger than it was/is.   The things a good eight inches shorter than my old one.

Takes a bit of getting used to … 

Let’s move on, shall we?

While I work out what to do with old fridge-freezer … 

~≈Û≈~

Yesterday’s questions saw Debbi* putting in her answers.   Along with bagging five out of five, she also let us know she’s getting  some writing done.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video … 

Q1) 3rd August, 1977, saw Tandy announce its TRS-80 range of computers.   What was the name of the shops Tandy sold them through … ?
Q2) More to the point, what did TRS stand for … ?
Q3) 3rd August, 1946, saw the opening of the world’s first theme park: what was it called … ?
Q4) 3rd August, 1936, saw which famous athlete win the 100 Meter Dash … ?
Q5) 3rd August, 1900, saw the founding of the Firestone Tire and Rubber Company.   In which Ohio city was it — and arch-rival, Goodyear — based for many years … ?
Q6) And finally … 3rd August, 1990, saw the recording of Britain’s then highest temperature: in which English county … ?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 2nd August, 1932, saw the discovery of the positron.   Which regular Star Trek: The Next Generation character has a positronic brain … ?
A1) Lieutenant Commander Data.
Q2) Three years later, 2nd August, 1937, saw the US government introduce a tax on what: cocaine, cannabis or cabbages … ?
A2) Cannabis.
Q3) 2nd August, 1989, saw which country re-admitted to the Commonwealth … ?
A3) Pakistan.
Q4) 2nd August, 216 BC, saw a Roman army defeated by a Carthaginian one: lead by whom … ?
A4) Hannibal.
Q5) Finally … 2nd August saw the invasion of Kuwait by Iraq.   In which year of the 1990s … ?
A5) 1990.
Enjoy those: I’ll leave you with this thought from noted criminal, Martha Stewart …
“It’s a good thing”
Martha Stewart, born 3rd August, 1941.
And with Blue Velvet: as performed by birthday, Tony Bennett.   (Who’s seemingly, STILL NOT DEAD … !)


















*        I know what you mean, Debbi!   I spent most of yesterday cleaning me flat: I’d had to get everything ELSE out of the way, first … !

1 comment:

  1. Indeed! You should see my office. Talk about a mess! :)

    1. Radio Shack
    2. Tandy Radio Shack
    3. Santa Claus Land
    4. Jesse Owens
    5. Akron
    6. Leicestershire

    So ... think I qualify for honorary UK citizenship. :)

    Or Irish and UK. Hmmm ...? :)

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.