Thursday, 8 August 2013

The Doctor And Neil … 


You know, I’ve said it before, and I’ll probably say it again, I was shocked when I learnt Peter Capaldi had been cast as the twelfth actor to play Doctor Who.

Shocked.

Surprised.

It has to be said,  I think I was actually shaking on the day.

Possibly not something to admit.

At ANY rate, I was shocked … 

But ALSO thinking — as I still do, now — that it’s the PERFECT bit of casting.

OK, I could be wrong — my belief that Daniel Rigby or Damien Molony would bag the part show that, very well — but on the whole, I think he’s going to prove superb.

~≈^≈~

But I’m ALSO very aware that writer, Neil Gaiman — who, along with Terry Pratchett, Storm Constantine, and the late Iain Banks is one of THE writers in the fantasy and science fiction, today — has written for the show.

And has raised an interesting point.

That the show’s producers have missed an opportunity, over the years, in not casting a black or Asian actor in the show’s lead role.

And that a black actor — who he did not name — had been approached to play the 11th Doctor, but had turned the job down.

Understandable, I think,

However different we may be from the 1970s and early 1980s — when Britain’s small black and Indian community would have had a seriously rough time — I think any black actor getting the offer would quite possibly have turned it down — in part — because science-fiction in the UK not being popular in amongst Britain’s various minority communities.

And, in part, for fear of a good old fashioned racist backlash.

Which I think is both a shame.

And a possibly damning indictment of a country that likes to think of itself as tolerant.

~≈^≈~

Now, I’ve heard an argument or two, against casting a person of colour in the role.

Which boil down to two different things.

For STARTERS … ?

Well, for starters, the good old fashioned idea of tokenism: the thought of casting a token black/asian actor, to show that the programmes at least had a token black actor as the lead character.   Or, if nothing else, as a companion or regular character.

I think we’d have to ask Freema Agyeman or Noel Clarke about that: to see if they believe their casting was something like that.

The OTHER argument … ?

Boils down to continuity.

Or, if you want to simplify it, and put it THIS way … 

IT ’S NEVER BEEN DONE BEFORE … !

To my mind, that’s the stupidest argument in the book.

Up until Margaret Thatcher was elected in 1979, the UK had never had a woman as Prime Minister.

Up until Benjamin Odeje became the first black player to have worn an England Football shirt of any kind, with Viv Anderson, the first as a full international.

It’s only in the past few years the USA has elected a black American as president.

Now, to my way of thinking … ?

IT ’S NEVER BEEN DONE BEFORE’ is possibly the most stupid argument going.

Things will not change and racism not challenged: unless and until people have the guts to do so.

And be the FIRST to do so … !

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.