Saturday, 17 August 2013

The Daily Teaser — 17-8-2013

Earworms, earworms, earworms and earworms … 

JUST in case you’re wondering … ?   That’s a relatively new word that describes a song that — for no particular reason — starts playing itself in your head.

Right at the mo … ?   I’ve got the sheer genius Tori Amos song, Cornflake Girl banging away in my head.

Which is either very good, or very bad.

It’s certainly bad — ish — timing.

Especially as I’m listening to last nights edition of Summer Nights, all about addiction, right now.

Fascinating stuff, I should add.   But overlaid with a tinkly piano solo … And Tori wondering where the keys are.

Oy vey … !


~≈Å≈~

Moving on … 

Yesterday’s Teaser saw a much welcomed, returned Debbi* putting her answers in: along with letting us know she’s ALSO back on FB, and advising hanging on to hats, ALSO bagged four out of five.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with the todays questions, shall we?

Here there are, along with the ‘How To’, License and  … video … 

Q1) 17th August, 1907, saw the opening of noted tourist site, Pike Place Market, in Seattle.   In which state is Seattle … ?
Q2) 17th August, 1969, saw Hurricane Camille hit the US Gulf Coast: was it a Category 5, 6 or 7 storm … ?
Q3) 17th August, 1601 — or 1607 — saw the birth of mathematician, Pierre de Fermat.   His famous Last Theorem was a variation on what: e=mc squared, Pythagoras’ Theorem or Euler’s formula for polyhedra … ?
Q4) 17th August, 1786, saw the birth of frontiersman, Davy Crockett: in which battle did he die … ?
Q5) Finally … 17th August, 1977, saw the Soviet icebreaker, Arktika, reach where … ?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 16th August, 2013, is a Friday: in which year was 16th August last a Friday … ?
A1) 2002.
Q2) Devout Roman Catholics are supposed to abstain from eating what, on a Friday … ?
A2) Meat.
Q3) In some part’s of the UK, Friday is referred to as POETS Day.   With ‘POETS’ standing for any number of variations of which phrase … ?
A3) Piss/Punch/Push Off Early, Tomorrow’s Saturday.   (New one on me … !)
Q4) Good Friday is the day before which Christian festival … ?
A4) Easter.
Q5) And finally … In which Daniel Dafoe story would you find a character called Friday … ?
A5) Robinson Crusoe.
I’ll leave you with this thought from the late Davy Crockett …
“I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the white house, no matter who he is.”
Davy Crockett, August 17, 1786 – March 6, 1836
And — as it’s Dexy’s frontman, Kevin Rowland’s, birthday — with this tune.


Have a good day.













*        I’ll keep my eyes peeled, then Debbi: welcome back, by the way.   How was the time off … ?   :D

1 comment:

  1. It was great, Paul! BTW, I'm doing a FB reboot, in case you didn't see that. So please friend me, okay? And tell Karen Chilvers sorry, but I'm doing this to try to fix my FB problems.

    Thanks!

    1. Washington
    2. 5
    3. Pythagoras' Theorem
    4. the Battle of the Alamo
    5. the North Pole

    BTW, I never did find your Pinterest account. I've found Trevor's, but not yours. He's got some really cool stuff on there.

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.