Tuesday 2 October 2018

Byzantium: A Review …

1st October, 2018.


Yep … I’m feeling desperately tired, right now.

Tired … 

And depressed.

Yes, I’ve have depression: have done for some time.

Usually?   The thyroid medication helps: as my under-active thyroid that can contribute to the condition.

The prozac helps, too.

But, sometimes?

Sometimes there are situations where situations beyond your control trigger an episode.



A really dark depressive episode.

Unfortunately?   The situation at work has gotten nasty: with shifts cut drastically.

As you can imagine?

That’s affected my mood.

Seriously, I should stress.

I really don’t like the area my thoughts are taking me, I honestly don’t.

But I’m very aware some of those bleaker thoughts?

Are the depression speaking: and not something to follow up on.

Hopefully?

I can start job hunting in the morning.

AND making arrangements with my creditors.

I can’t let the depression or the situation get to me.

However bad either might actually get.

~≈§≈~

What doesn’t help?

Is simply the fact I’ve little money to spend, but plenty of time, sitting around.

OK, I’ve kept eyes open for jobs …

AND written more Teasers.

And tried to do a few things around the flat.

But frankly?

Had a choice of what to do with my evening.

Go to bed, early.

After all, I’m still wading through the novel of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

OR stay up and catch one of the backed up films in my collection.

I stayed up …

Frankly?

I fancied a movie …

~≈§≈~

Byzantium introduces us to an old man called Robert (Barry Cassin) who’s held a secret for a long time.

And who decides to let neighbour, Eleanor (Saoirse Ronan) know his secret.

In return?

Eleanor shares hers.

~≈§≈~

Eleanor’s constant companion … ?

Eleanor’s constant companion is Clara (Gemma Arterton): a two hundred year old vampire who has used her experience as a prostitute to keep her, and her daughter, alive and afloat.

Not that Eleanor’s necessarily pleased about that.

It’s only when the pair arrive in an unnamed seaside resort that things get …

Interesting …

After two centuries?

After two hundred years, Eleanor is ready to settle down with the right man …

~≈§≈~

Now … 

Good?

Yes, actually: although there’s possibly better vampire movies around.

Including Interview with a Vampire, directed by Byzantium director, Neil Jordan.

Granted, it may not be the best film doing the rounds: and granted, it seriously flopped at the box office?

Granted all that, Byzantium jogs along at a good pace: has central characters — ethereal Eleanor, and ruthless Clara — who are well played, and play off each other well, AND has a solid supporting cast …



And has a twist on how vampires are created that I found interesting, to say the least.

Byzantium may not be a  Neil Jordan’s best … 

But is worth your time.
Byzantium
★★★☆

No comments: