Wednesday 24 October 2018

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 24-10-2018: The UN

24th October, 2018.


A day off … 

TWO days off … 

I like days off.

When I get them … 

Oh, no, before you ask: today isn’t one!

My NEXT day off … ?

Is tomorrow.

Yes: I’m impatiently looking forward to that … 

~≈§≈~

While I’ve got your attention … ?

I noticed a news piece on the BBC’s news site, yesterday.

John Lewis, the department store?   Are to stop selling DVD players.

I have to admit, I’m not surprised.

I sold my DVD player a few years ago, now: to a friend who wanted it, but didn’t have an internet connection, at the time.   Its recording functions long since replaced by USB sticks.

I’ve been streaming movies, music and TV shows from various sources for so long, now, that buying or renting a DVD is … 

Mostly historical, now I think of it.

Most of my DVDs?   Have long since been ripped, then sold to my local CeX.

So, given that streaming is now so common?

I’m wondering how much longer it will be, before blu-ray goes that same way.

~≈§≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 


Q1) 24th October is United Nations Day: marking the day the UN Charter went into force.   In which year?
Q2) How many chapters does that Charter have: seventeen, eighteen or nineteen?
Q3) The General Assembly, Security Council and International Court of Justice were set up in which chapter of the Charter?
Q4) The General Assemble is also mined in chapter five of the UN Charter.   Each UN member state is on the General Assembly … and meets in the UN’s HQ.   That HQ is in which US city?
Q5) Finally … ?   The General Assembly first met on 10th January of which year?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) The first use of aircraft during a war took place on 23rd October, 1911.   The plane was an observation craft, used by an Italian pilot: during a war between Italy and where?
A1) Turkey.
Q2) French and American troops were killed on 23rd October, 1983.   After an explosion, where: Beirut, Cairo or Dubai?
A2) Beirut.
Q3) 23rd October, 2012, saw the BBC complete the Digital switch-over: by stopping the broadcast of teletext.   Where: England, Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales?
Q4) Protests against the Soviet Union took place: on 23rd October, 1956.   In which country?
A4) Hungary.
Q5) Hungary declared itself a non-Communist republic: on 23rd October.   Of which year?
A5) 1989.
Here’s an article
“The present Charter, of which the Chinese, French, Russian, English, and Spanish texts are equally authentic, shall remain deposited in the archives of the Government of the United States of America. Duly certified copies thereof shall be transmitted by that Government to the Governments of the other signatory states. IN FAITH WHEREOF the representatives of the Governments of the United Nations have signed the present Charter.”
Article 11 of The UN Charter.

And the truly awful UN anthem …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        Oh, you’re right, Olga, they should!   And given the incident on that Ryanair flight?   Very relevant.   Personally?   I’m one of the people that thinks the historical episodes can be very helpful.   I’m told Vincent, a few years ago, got people interested in mental health, and Van Gogh.


†        Actually, I don’t think it was preachy at all, Debbi: and missed most of the Trump action!   Which possibly tells you how good my observational skills are … !   And, yes: it’s still relevant: the Ryanair incident tells us that!   The fact the guy uses that word got me offended: before you get to the rest of it … !   And my pleasure, Debbi: it only seems fair, after all!   (Oh, there’s a sneak peak doing the rounds, so you know …)

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) 1945
Q2) Nineteen
Q3) Chapter III
Q4) (mined?) I imagine it is mentioned… New York
Q5) 1946, in London
I think the guy should have been thrown out of the plane and the crew dismissed.

Debbi said...

It was a great episode. Things are looking good for the new Doc and her crew!

1. 1945
2. 19
3. 3
4. New York City
5. 1946

Yeah, that is an awful theme! :)