Sunday 25 November 2018

Dr Who — Series 11: Episode 8 — The Witchfinders

25th November, 2018.


Yes: it’s Sunday night, again … 

And yes: I’ve had the night in.

As you may or may not know, I’m job hunting at the moment.

So, even given it’s the weekend … ?

I’ve been merrily filling in online forms, checking boxes … 

And getting mildly annoyed one potential interview wanted ID I couldn’t.

Isn’t that a pain … ?

At ANY rate … ?

I’m getting help, and told that I can get help with ID.

Or, at least, a provisional driving license.

Here’s hoping that helps!

~≈§≈~

At any rate … ?

It’s a Sunday.

Which means I had dinner with my family, earlier.

My nephew, Jude?   Has managed to discover a new game on Mummy’s phone … 

Which Ruth’s happy about … 

At ANY rate … ?

At ANY rate, as it’s a Sunday?

That meant one thing … 

It meant Doctor Who.


Episode 8 … !

~≈§≈~

Episode 8The Witchfinders — sees the TARDIS Team arriving in the 17th Century Lacashire: expecting to see Elizabeth 1st’s coronation*.

Only to find themselves in 17th Century Bilehurst Crag, near Pendle Hill … 

And about to witness the barbarity of a witch ducking.

It’s only once the affair is done that the team managed split up.

So that Yas (Mandip Gill) can see what help she can give to Willa, the suspected witch’s surviving family.

And the Doctor, Graham and Ryan (Jodie Whittaker, Bradley Walsh and ) confront Becka Savage (Siobhan Finneran), the local squire to ask what’s going on … 

Only to be interrupted by a regal visitor: James 1st and 6th (Alan Cummings), himself … 

The King … ?

Is keen to help in the fights against Satan’s works: and has the kit to prove it …

~≈§≈~

Now … 

Good … ?   Strong … ?   Fun?   Hedgehog flavoured?

Right, we can safely assume The Witchfinders isn’t hedgehog flavoured.

Unless you have a very odd ideas about 17th century Lancashireª.

As for good, strong or fun … ?

I’m thinking, right now, that The Witchfinders isn’t necessarily the strongest episode in the series: it doesn’t necessarily contribute much to, or expand the, regular characters overall story arcs.

Something I’ve come to look for in those episodes.

On the other hand?

As an individual episode, The Witchfinders is a fine piece of work.

OK, it doesn’t contribute to the on-going arc, the Doctor’s otherwise fine set piece speech don’t fit quite as well as they do in other episodes … 

But regulars, Whittaker, Walsh, Cole and Gill do their usual reliable job: AND allow the episode’s guest stars to shine.

Siobhan Finneran, as the ultimate, and sympathetic villain of the piece, was fantastic, Tilly Steele as Willa, suitable heroic.

And Alan Cumming, as James 1st and 6th†^, possibly one of British history’s seminal characters?

Gives us just the right mix of benevolent dictator, scholar, ever so slightly polysexualº, and swivel eyed loon, to make The Witchfinders as watchable as it is.

Frankly?



I’ll take that as a good sign.   And hope we see more of Alan Cumming … 







*       Which could have turned out awkwardly: if the Zygon version had taken over.   (Or Good Queen Bess had recognised the TARDIS …)

†       James 1st and 6th ruled Scotland since he was thirteen months old months: being named king after the abdication of his mother, Mary Queen of Scots.   He’s also considered to have influenced the English language, quite heavily.   The first definitely English version of the Bible, that one that influenced others?   Was the King James version.   The man, himself, wrote a couple of books about how a monarch should behave: that were eventually passed on to his son, Charles 1st.   And wrote the Demonology seen in the episode.   And, while the political union of the kingdoms of Scotland and England didn’t happen until 1807 — off the top of my head‡ — James was the first to rule both in a personal union.

‡.       That happened when the Parliaments united: if I remember the research I’ve done for various Teasers correctly.   Off the top of my head, I THINK the Hanoverians were to blame for that.   I’m a history fan: not a history scholar!

^       I don’t know if James 1st and 6th was quite as camp as Alan Cumming presents him.   I’m very aware the man was married … with three surviving children.   I’m also aware there were stories doing the rounds.   Indeed, it was said at the time, ‘Elizabeth was King, now James is Queen.’

ª        What do I tell you about witches?   Except I’m not sure the ducking we see would have counted.   I DO know Pendle Hill gave its name to the Pendle Witch Trials: the biggest such trials in English history.   Indeed, several of the family names mentioned in the trials were used by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman in Good Omens.   Look up Alice Nutter and Elizabeth Device.

º        James 1st And 6th spends a lot of the episode, trying to impress Ryan.   getting no-where, but giving it a go.   Saying that?   The scene were James says good bye to Ryan, at the end of the episode … could well have feature Jo Grant and practically any three Thals you care to name!

3 comments:

Nik Nak said...

Just as a quick thought … ?

I’m told my nephew, Jude, thought tonight’s episode was scary.

It was the dead … 

Debbi said...

I can see how Jude would find it scary.

But I kept expecting the Python boys to show up and yell, "She's a witch!" :)

Nik Nak said...

I know exactly what you mean, Debbi!