Friday 17 May 2019

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 17-5-2019: The Dam Busters

17th May, 2019.


Yes: my nephew, Jude, was over, last night.

And yes: we had pizza, again.

Right now … ?

I’m thinking I have to find a way to persuade my nephew, Jude, that smaller pizzas are a good idea.

I think both of us were stuffed, last night*.

~≈§≈~

Oh … 

I’m up early, today.

Because … ?

I actually forgot to go to my regular Work coach meeting!

I forgot to set up the reminder, basically!

I’ve rearranged it for this morning.

Remind me to get my rear in gear, please.

The DWP can get nasty about payments.

~≈§≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Badwolf†, Olga‡, and Debbi^ putting in their answers: with all three scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 


Q1) The famous Dambusters raid took place over the night of 16th, and early morning of the 17th, of May: of which year of the war?
Q2) During which war?
Q3) The Dambusters’ raid was launched by the UK’s airforce.   Who were they?
Q4) The squadron nicknamed ‘the Dambusters’ … were more correctly called what?
Q5) The squad launched from a base in which English county: Lancashire, Leicestershire or Lincolnshire?
A6) Operation Chastise.
Q7) The Raid — obviously — bombed dams.   In and along what: the Rhineland, the Ruhr Valley region or Upper Franconia?
Q8) Famously?   The bombs used on the raids did what?
Q9) Who designed those bombs?
Q10) Finally … ?   What was the name of the 1955 film about the Dambusters Raid?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 16th May, 1919, saw the birth of Liberace.   What was his full, birth name?
A1) Władziu Valentino Liberace.   (Pronounced VWAH-joo val-ən-TEE-noh lib-ə-RAH-chee.   Apparently.)
Q2) He started playing piano at how old?
A2) Four.
Q3) Liberace’s nickname was Mr … what?
A3) Mr Showmanship.
Q4) Liberace played a coffin salesman in a 1965 film called … what?
A4) The Loved One.
Q5) Finally, his TV show first aired in 1952.   What was it called?
A5) The Liberace Show.
Here’s a motto …
“Après moi le déluge.”
The Dambusters’s squad mottoª.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        Oh, he was asking about screen recording on Mummy’s phone, last night: a Huawei, so you know.   JUST in case it’s useful … 


†        If I see any, Anne, I’ll try and tweet you the link!   Good MORNING, Badwolf!

‡      It’s a weird one, Olga: what it’s doing in my cupboard, I don’t know!   I should REALLY donate it to a charity shop … !   (I’ve just double checked.   The Loved One got a US release in 1965, the date Wikipedia uses.   IMDb’s entry lists several: including the UK one, in 1966.   I’ll try and double check, for next time.)

^        It’s the old McGoohan question, Debbi: WHICH war?!   I wish I could remember what episode that was from: didn’t he end up yelling “GET OUT,” at a maid?   Oh, Behind the Candelabra had a TV debut in the US: but a cinema release, over here.   (Good going with the typing, by the way … !)

ª        Apparently, it translates as “After me, the flood.”   Which seems very appropriate … 

4 comments:

DEATH COMES TO US ALL said...

(1) 1943(2) WW2(3Royal Air (4) Force No. 617 Squadron(5)Lancaster (6)Operation Chastise (7) Ruhr valley (8)Caused flooding(9) Barnes Wallis.(10)The Dam Busters,

Olga said...

Q1) 1943
Q2) WWII
Q3) The RAF (Royal Air Force)
Q4) Royal Air Force No. 617 Squadron
Q5) Lincolnshire
A6) Operation Chastise. (You seem to have written the answer rather than the question, which I imagine is the name of the operation…)
Q7) the Ruhr Valley region
Q8) Bounce
Q9) Barnes Wallis
Q10) The Dam Busters
I wonder if somebody might class it as vintage...

Debbi said...

Wow! I'd forgotten! Now, I want to rewatch the series. :)

I have it all. On DVD.

1. 1943
2. World War II
3. the Royal Air Force
4. No. 617 Squadron RAF
5. Lincolnshire
6. um ...
7. the Ruhr Valley
8. bounce
9. Barnes Wallis
10. The Dam Busters

I do remember him shouting "GET OUT" at the maid. Ha ha ha ...!

Debbi said...

Hi,

For #6, assuming we're playing Jeopardy!, what was the name of the WWII Operation also known as the Dam Buster Raid? :)

Thought of that after I left my answers, of course.