Sunday, 30 January 2011

Jonah Hex: Blood, Guts and interrogating the Dead in a Steampunk Way …

Funny, but true: sometimes movies happen.

Well, obviously, they happen.

I’d not be writing this, if Movie Night Adrian, Kevin D and I hadn’t watch the results when one had, tonight.

Well …

I’m assuming you’d guessed that, hadn’t you … ?

The one we’d actually managed to see, tonight … ?

Was the fairly recent DVD release, the Josh Brolin/John Malkovich/Megan Fox film, Jonah Hex, based on the comic book of the same name.

Hmmm …

«•»

Jonah Hex sees Brolin playing the title character of Jonah Hex, a former confederate soldier driven to bounty hunting after the US Civil War ended.

And ended badly for him: after being accused of treachery by his former commanding officer, Quentin Turnbill, played by John Malkovich, murders his family.

He survives: in part comforted by his girlfriend, Lilah, played by Megan Fox.

And in part … ?

In part, because after the injuries Turnbill inflicts on him, his wounds are treated by Crow Native Americans.

Leaving him scarred …

But with an ability to talk to the dead …

And with a desire to inflict a terrible revenge on the man who’d killed his family.

«•»

Which is where I sort of get into explaining the ‘Hmmm … ’ comment I made, earlier.

You see, I’m thinking — and I know both Adrian and Kevin agree, here — that Jonah Hex is a bit …

Problematic …

You see, what you actually get on screen is …

Nice

Let me try and clarify, here …

Jonah Hex is nicely shot, well acted, with a steampunk* look and feel that’ll will play well.

But …

Hmmm …

We all of us agreed that Jonah Hex is a fantastic looking trailer for the film that possibly should have been made.

And just over 80 minutes … ?

It could have been a touch longer, telling us more about the characters and their motivations for doing what they’re doing.

As it stands … ?

Jonah Hex is much like Megan Fox’s costume.

Nice to look at.

But definitely a touch skimpy.


Actor

Character

Josh Brolin

Jonah Hex

John Malkovich

Quentin Turnbill

Megan Fox

Lilah



Director

Jimmy Hayward

Writers

Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor


Jonah Hex.

Watchable. ★★☆☆






* Trust me, we had to give Adrian a quickie potted definition and history …

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.