Saturday 8 January 2011

WikiLeaks: An open Letter to President Barack Obama

Right …

I’ve got to confess, this is the first time I think I’ve done something like this.

But, after hearing on the news, tonight, about the latest twist in the WikiLeaks saga, I thought I had to say something to possibly the most powerful bloke on the planet.

According to the BBC news report I’ve just seen, about the subpœna that Twitter has received, ordering them to hand over details of the Twitter accounts for half a dozen or so prominent people involved with WikiLeaks, it get’s worse.

It seems that this also involves similar levels of detail about their followers.

I’m insulted.

If the US Justice system wants my details, they have two choices.

Either they can politely ask me for them, themselves: complete with an explanation of why they want them.

Or they can sod off.

Either way, I got inspired.

Inspired enough to send this open letter …


Here …
President Barack Obama
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW,
Washington DC
USA

Dear Mr Obama,

I’m writing to you, after hearing the news that the Federal District Court in Virginia, has subpœnaed Twitter.com, in order to gain access to private account details of four Twitter users linked to the ongoing US dispute with the whistle blowing site, WikiLeaks.

I’m given to understand this includes:
  • Mailing addresses
  • Billing information
  • Connection records
  • IP addresses
  • And email addresses.
I’m also given to understand that this includes similar details for the followers of the four people.

I’m one of those followers.

I’ve taken an interest in the ongoing story, as I believe that — regardless of any specific security concerns — the WikiLeaks site has and is capable of making contributions to open government, whichever government it happens to be.

And also object to the fact that the US government wants my details, as part of its dispute with the site.

I am a UK citizen, and thus have no protection under US law from what I believe is a gross invasion of privacy: something I understand is granted to US citizens, by US law.

Mr Obama, when you were elected many people around the world, saw it as a sign of positive change in the world.

I was one of them.

Change typified by that now famous phrase, “Yes, we can”.

Looking at the WikiLeaks story … ?

I now believe that those who believe that change to be just around the corner …

Believed that you represented a cleaner form of American government …

Believed that your administration would be better than the one it replaced …

Have been seriously let down.

For that, I hold you responsible.

Yours,

Paul Downie.
Now, I don’t know if he’ll read it.

Or what sort of response I’ll get*.

But if you’d like to do the same … ?

Firstly, copy and paste the relevant bit of textº.

Then send it here.

To paraphrase The Ramones … ?

“Heigh-Ho, Lets Go”.




* Hopefully, it won’t include marines abseiling down the side of my flat …

º Creative Commons License, remember … ? I’ll waive the attribution clause, just for this letter.

No comments: