Monday, 27 February 2012

The Daily Teaser - 27-2-2012

There we go …

I’m thinking it’s officially official.

I can persuade Jude to go to sleep!

OK, granted, he’d just had some milk, and watched a whole episode of In The Night Garden.

Let’s get moving on, shall we … ?

Yes, let’s … !

‹‹•››

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi putting in her answers: and, along with bagging 5 out of 6, ALSO showing us a clip of the ’67 original version of Casino Royale, AND wishing Gary Oldman well at the Oscars*.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we? Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video
Q1) 27th February, 1900, saw the founding of the British Labour party: who’s the current party leader … ?

Q2) 27th February, 2007, saw which stock market drop by 9%: the Shanghai, the FTSE 100, or the Dow Jones?

Q3) 27th February, 1940, saw Martin Kamen and Sam Reuben discover which radioactive isotope … ?

Q4) More to the point, that isotope is used for which well known test … ?

Q5) 27th February, 1973, saw members of the American Indian Movement occupy which small town?

Q6) 27th February, 1963, saw Antoine Argoud charged over an assassination attempt: on whom … ?

Q7) And finally … 27th February, 1844, saw the Dominican Republic gain its independence … from where … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 26th February, 1946, saw the first of many ghost rocket sightings:in which European country … ?
A1) Finland.

Q2) 26th February, 1815, saw who escape from prison?
A2) Napoleon Bonaparte.

Q3) More to the point, where was that prison … ?
A3) Elba.

Q4) 26th February, 747 BCE, was the start of the reign of King Nabonassar … of where … ?
A4) Babylon.

Q5) 26th February, 1829, saw the birth of Jeans designer, Levi Strauss:name either of the European towns that jeans take their name from.
A5) Nîmes, in France and Genoa, in Italy: the two towns were sources for the fabric.

Q6) And finally … 26th February, 1936, saw an attempted military coup take place in which country … ?
A6) Japan.
Enjoy those, everyone: I’ll leave you with a tune from birthday girl — and former TLC member — Chilli.
Oh … And this clip about Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy


Oh, and here’s Jude, having a swinging good time …















* He lost it, Debbi: in the general stampede towards ‘The Artist’. Which I’m told is a fantastic film, and is also the first silent movieº to win since 1929. All well and good, but I’m personally thinking Gary Oldmanª — and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy — has been done over like a kipper … !

º There’s been a joke doing the rounds about the film for a while. “I’ve been had, I got a really bad pirate copy of The Artist: black and white, and the sound had gone!”

ª That’s actually the first time I’ve heard Gary Oldman speak. Usually, when I’ve seen him in a film, it’s someone else’s voice doing the talking …

1 comment:

  1. I've heard The Artist is really great. Haven't seen it yet. Even so, I agree. I think Gary Oldman and Tinker, Tailor were robbed. :-/

    1. Ed Miliband
    2. Shanghai
    3. carbon-14
    4. carbon dating
    5. Wounded Knee, SD
    6. Charles de Gaulle
    7. Haiti

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.