Monday, 23 July 2012

The Daily Teaser — 23-07-2012

Blimey, that’s a weekend result … !

I’ll happily admit, I’m no sports fan, really, I’m not.

But the fact Britain’s managed to generate a Tour De France winning cyclist, in the shape of Bradley Wiggins*.

Actually … ?

I’ll be accurate, we managed to generate a winning team: especially when you consider that Mark Cavendish won the 23rd stage and Chris Froome finished in overall second place.

Well done, them … !

Let’s get moving on, though, shall we?   Yes, let’s … 

☱☲☴☲☱

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Trevor putting in his answers: and, along with bagging 6 out of 6, also managing to correct on the date Sir Alec Douglas-Home stood down.

Let’s see how he — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?   Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video … 

Q1) 23rd July, 1908, saw the start of what’s called the Second Constitution Era: in which empire … ?
Q2) More to the point, what’s the (main) successor state to that empire … ?
Q3) 23rd July, 2005, saw 88 people killed in bomb attacks in Sharm al-Sheikh: in which country is Sharm al-Sheikh?
Q4) 23rd July, 1962, saw the first broadcasts via which satellite … ?
Q5) 23rd July, 1974, saw the military government of which country collapse … ?
Q6) And finally … 23rd July, 1829, saw William Austin Bellin patent a very early form of what … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 22nd July, 1706, saw commissioners from which two kingdoms agree on the 1707 Act of Union … ?
A1) England and Scotland.
Q2) More to the point, what was the name of the kingdom that was the result of the Act of Union … ?
A2) The Kingdom of Great Britain.
Q3) 22nd July, 1933, saw who become the first person to complete a round-the-world airplane trip … ?
A3) Wiley Post.
Q4) 22nd July, 1983, saw the end of martial law: in which European country … ?
A4) Poland.
Q5) 22nd July, 1965, saw whom step down as Leader of the Opposition … ?
A5) Sir Alec Douglas-Home.
Q6) And finally … 22nd July, 2011, saw Anders Bering Breivik kill 69 people on Utøya Island: in which country is Utøya Island … ?
A6) Norway.
Enjoy those, everyone.

I’ll leave you with a tune from David Essex, shall I … ?   As it’s his birthday … 


Oh … and a quote form Raymond Chandler: which I’m thinking Debbi will appreciate, once she and Rick get home …
“I bent over and took hold of the room with both hands and spun it. When I had it nicely spinning I gave it a full swing and hit myself on the back of the head with the floor.”Pearls Are A Nuisance, Raymond Chandler   July 23, 1888 – March 26, 1959



















*        Given the similarity of names, I always think of Randy Wigginton … 

2 comments:

  1. A1 Ottoman Empire
    A2 Republic of Turkey
    A3 Arab Republic of Egypt
    A4 Telstar 1
    A5 Hellenic Republic (commonly called Greece)
    A6 Typewriter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Paul,

    After the huge delay we ran into during our layover in Detroit, I really appreciate that Chandler quote in more ways than usual. Ha ha ha ...

    1. the Ottoman Empire
    2. Turkey
    3. Egypt
    4. Telstar 1
    5. Greece
    6. typewriter

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.