Saturday, 19 September 2015

Dr Who Series Nine: Episode 1 — The Magician’s Apprentice

19th September, 2015.

Now, here’s a rarity … 

I’ve opened a post … but have no screen shots to go with it … 

You’re possibly wondering what I’m talking about, aren’t you … ?   You are, aren’t you … ?   I can tell, you know.

A screen shot, so you know, is a photo: usually of something that’s on the screen — hence the name — of a computer, phone or tablet.

Occasionally … ?

It is — if it’s from a computer screen — an application window.

It’s application windows I’m thinking of, here.

You see, I’ve just watched the opening episode of Dr Who series 9 — episode 1, The Magician’s Apprentice — and come away very impressed.

EXCEPT for one thing.

My system — a first generation Mac Pro, running OS X 10.7.x, Lion — is hard at work.

Letting me write this post, whilst ripping a copy of The Curse Of Fenric with HandBreak, and using the native copy of QuickTime to export tonight’s episode into a form I can play back later.

All this … and keeping TweetDeck open, to see what’s going past … !

Frankly … ?   I’ve turned off the heating, under the circumstances.

And not yet had a chance to do a screenshot from the episode.

Wallpaper will have to do.

~≈Ê≈~
At any rate … ?

At ANY rate, I’ve had today off.

Which I’m thankful for.   It’s given me a chance to do some shopping, to see my youngest sister, ruth, along with my nephew, Jude, to pick up a delivery that’s been dropped off to my neighbours … 

AND to watch tonight’s opening episode of Dr Who, series nine: The Magician’s Apprentice.

The episodes opens with scenes of a battlefield: with soldiers fleeing their enemies, and simultaneously chasing a little boy into a minefield.

The soldiers are killed … leaving the boy trapped in a minefield.

Only to offered rescue by the Doctor.   Who asks for the boy’s name.

Only to pause … when the boy replies “My name is Davros …”

~≈Ê≈~

The scene changes to the present day: to a classroom at Coal Hill School, where Clara is giving a lesson on Jane Austen.

And cancelling the lesson, when she notices an overflying plane in the window of the classroom.

A plane … that’s not moving: forward, backwards, down, not moving.

It’s then, she cancels the rest of the lesson, takes the rest of the day off … 

And ends up at UNIT’s HQ.

Where UNIT’s leader, Kate Stewart — and UNIT itself — have just been offered help … 

From the last place they expected … 

~≈Ê≈~

Now … am I impressed?

Oh, LORD, yes!

The Magician’s Apprentice is one hell of an opening episode: showing us a dying Davros*, a substantially evolving relationship with the Master, Clara — Jenna Coleman — now a matured and strong character in her own right … 

And a cliffhanger — with the Doctor waving a Dalek gun at the boy Davros, in order to prevent the deaths of both Clara and Missy — that left me, certainly, wanting more.

Personally … ?

Personally, I think next weeks episode will be a good one to see, given this strong opening episode.











*        I have to give Julian Bleach his due, here: his portrayal of the twisted Kaled scientist has improved, I think, from his original take in The Stolen Earth/Journey’s End.   About my only complaint is that I found some of his dialogue a touch inaudible: I’m tempted to re-watch the episode, with the subtitles turned on, JUST so I’m sure of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.